Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I wrote about Ali scoring a goal while taking the opportunity to go fishing.

I then flicked onto Twitter and by quite some coincidence the first tweet on my timeline was Ali scoring a goal.
Naturally I edited that into my post about Ali scoring goals.

I'm not entirely sure how that's gauging his progression at the Albion

I didn't quote you when I referred to gauging progress. All I really said was that one goal against a side which has won 4 from 22 over three years, isn't something you can read too much into. I like AJ - I know others don't but we all have differences of opinion and that is absolutely fine.

I referred to your post after that as having fuelled the re-ignition of the discussion (after you had quoted myself) and there was nothing derogatory meant in my comment. It was a personal opinion and observation of mime only.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I didn't quote you when I referred to gauging progress. All I really said was that one goal against a side which has won 4 from 22 over three years, isn't something you can read too much into. I like AJ - I know others don't but we all have differences of opinion and that is absolutely fine.

I referred to your post after that as having fuelled the re-ignition of the discussion (after you had quoted myself) and there was nothing derogatory meant in my comment. It was a personal opinion and observation of mime only.

That's the point, NOBODY has read anything into one goal against Syria, let alone equate that to his progression for the Albion, except you when you dismissed what nobody was writing:-

For folks to use one goal in a 5-0 route of Syria to suggest it is a gage of his progression are a little wide of the mark.

As said I didn't understand that comment when you made.
I certainly didn't understand the LOL.
I still don't understand it now, because NOBODY has used one goal in a 5-0 route of Syria to suggest it is a gauge of his progression.

Last edited:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I think that goal he scored against Syria really shows his progression! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
He really has a huge amount to prove but, yes, I think he might do it... the shackles are off...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Despite Mr Bloom's loathing of even the word, I couldn't help but have a little chuckle while watching Moneyball, earlier.

GM (Beane) and manager don't see eye to eye over the 'moneyball' signings.
Manager doesn't use them as intended.

GM repeatedly tries to make manager buy into the project.
Manager still refuses.

GM makes overt noises about firing manager "you work for me".
Manager still won't play ball.

GM sells all the players the manager was using to create the issue. :lol:

Begging the question:-

Would Team Hughton prefer to keep him or keep Murray, AK and to a lesser extent Solly and Stephens?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Moneyball is a spectacular film, however inconsistent with real life it may have been/is. I can't imagine the working dynamic between Hughton and the heirarchy here is comparable, but I would always be interested in being a fly on the wall of the dressing room and boardrooms.

I actually quoted a scene from Moneyball yesterday when talking about the problems Man Utd have in their dressing room at the moment. The scene where Billy Beane walks into the dressing room after a defeat and people are partying with a boom box on the go and everyone having a good time. He turns the boom box off, throws a barrel of water at the wall to get the awkward and total silence and then says, "that's what losing sounds like". Absolutely spot on! That's how it should be when you've lost in professional sport. Not videoing dressing room dancing antics.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Moneyball is a spectacular film, however inconsistent with real life it may have been/is. I can't imagine the working dynamic between Hughton and the heirarchy here is comparable, but I would always be interested in being a fly on the wall of the dressing room and boardrooms.

I actually quoted a scene from Moneyball yesterday when talking about the problems Man Utd have in their dressing room at the moment. The scene where Billy Beane walks into the dressing room after a defeat and people are partying with a boom box on the go and everyone having a good time. He turns the boom box off, throws a barrel of water at the wall to get the awkward and total silence and then says, "that's what losing sounds like". Absolutely spot on! That's how it should be when you've lost in professional sport. Not videoing dressing room dancing antics.

Sadly, that was a scene that was written for the film and there's no evidence that it ever happened. According to the book, Billy Beane 'detected an overly upbeat tone in the clubhouse' but he traded away Jeremy Giambi (the player dancing in the movie scene) because he was smoking weed and drinking too much on away trips. No boombox smashed by a baseball bat, unfortunately.

But of course your point is correct. A losing dressing room should be a quiet place. Manchester United's is probably only quite because Pogba and company are isolated within their Beats, having no relationship with each other or their coach.

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Sadly, that was a scene that was written for the film and there's no evidence that it ever happened. According to the book, Billy Beane 'detected an overly upbeat tone in the clubhouse' but he traded away Jeremy Giambi (the player dancing in the movie scene) because he was smoking weed and drinking too much on away trips. No boombox smashed by a baseball bat, unfortunately.

But of course your point is correct. A losing dressing room should be a quiet place. Manchester United's is probably only quite because Pogba and company are isolated within their Beats, having no relationship with each other or their coach.

It doesn't surprise me to hear that it wasn't true to reality - Aaron Sorkin is a masterful writer. The whole scene resonates with me though, that's how it should be after a defeat if you're serious about whatever it is that you're doing. I can't imagine that Liverpool or Man City's dressing rooms would have been raucous after anything other than a thumping win last season, no way characters like Van Dijk and Kompany would have allowed it.

I hope our dressing room has a similar standard of expectation, but I suspect it probably doesn't.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
It doesn't surprise me to hear that it wasn't true to reality - Aaron Sorkin is a masterful writer. The whole scene resonates with me though, that's how it should be after a defeat if you're serious about whatever it is that you're doing. I can't imagine that Liverpool or Man City's dressing rooms would have been raucous after anything other than a thumping win last season, no way characters like Van Dijk and Kompany would have allowed it.

I hope our dressing room has a similar standard of expectation, but I suspect it probably doesn't.

Probably did with the likes of Sidwell and Rosenier, Zamora even and certainly Greer.
We have definitely lost some of that over recent years.

I'd hope Dunk wouldn't stand for too much nonsense.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Probably did with the likes of Sidwell and Rosenier, Zamora even and certainly Greer.
We have definitely lost some of that over recent years.

I'd hope Dunk wouldn't stand for too much nonsense.

You need 7!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hmm. Ryan, Duffy, Bong, Dunk, Stephens, Murray ... I imagine Gross and Propper have high standards but might be too quiet?

We'll have the perennial bounce at the end of the window.
It's hard to say what way we'll go, but I don't think last season had too many 'subs' after the 7, so there's not much wiggle room going forward.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hmm. Ryan, Duffy, Bong, Dunk, Stephens, Murray ... I imagine Gross and Propper have high standards but might be too quiet?

The 'you need 7' thing, is about who you want in a scrap.

Florin Andone is the front-runner, windmilling into the opposition.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The 'you need 7' thing, is about who you want in a scrap.

Florin Andone is the front-runner, windmilling into the opposition.
I know you're right but I do have one reservation.

The 7 is who you want in a scrap, but it's a specific scrap.
The bundle in question has to be defending the team, club, manager, mascot badge, pie, basically anything Albion related that's been 'dissed'.

I'm sure Andone's a windmill first questions later chap, but I'm less convinced he's 100% #TeamAlbion a la zen God Bruno.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I imagine it needs to be somewhat different depending on your goals. Liverpool only lost 1 league game all season, so having a shit atmosphere after that game isn't going to be a problem for them. If you're losing more often than not (see all teams near the bottom) then life at the club can become a bit miserable and the atmosphere you've created does more harm than good.

It makes sense if the performance isn't as good as it should be, but put in a good performance and lose narrowly to a top side (eg, away to Spurs) and there's no need to make everyone miserable.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So, is Ali J gonna come good, or is he a turkey?... I think the former...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here