Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Hmmm - there's a passage within his article that makes me mildly concerned:
"Potter is understood to be happy to stay with the Swans but would need assurances that funds will be available for players he needs."

When journalists write 'understood to be' I take that to mean that they are just guessing. If they knew what he was thinking there would be no need for it. Just filling newspapers.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
I hope Swansea give him his assurances. Getting more underwhelmed by the day, who wants a manger who comes to you almost reluctantly?

Maybe he’s being prepped by Ashworth on how to handle it though, who knows the machinations of the football business.

PL status or not, we're not the draw some of us might think we should be. From the outside looking in, this season's relegation scrap, possibly another one next season and Potter might not consider us a much rosier prospect than Swansea in the grand scheme.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Yes, that is my worry.

I suppose most of this reluctance is being reported by WalesOnLine ( which is possibly where the argus picked it up from ) so it *could* be a local journalist's wishful spin.

I think people are reading too much into Potter's lack of 'desire', if you want to call it that. Had Hughton been touted for a top job, I'm almost certain Hughton would have done the same thing and us fans would have expected the same.

Now, is Potter a #**** or Sunderland fan? He was at Fratton Park last night and as the commentators stated, that's close to Brighton...

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
PL status or not, we're not the draw some of us might think we should be. From the outside looking in, this season's relegation scrap, possibly another one next season and Potter might not consider us a much rosier prospect than Swansea in the grand scheme.

Really?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I hope Swansea give him his assurances. Getting more underwhelmed by the day, who wants a manger who comes to you almost reluctantly?

Maybe he’s being prepped by Ashworth on how to handle it though, who knows the machinations of the football business.

Much rather him be considered and measured about his next move. Swansea are a decent club who are trying to get themselves back on an even keel after relegation and completely rebuilding their team and squad with young players. He wants assurances from them about their future commitments.

Brighton are a relatively new Premier League club who have just sacked a very respected manager who kept them (just) in the top flight. He'll probably want equally strong commitments from us about how we will support him. He also knows he has to change our style of play AND keep us in the Premier League. You only have to look at how well that plan went with with De Boer and Palace; Parrish famously touted a new entertaining style and change of direction but bottled that after four (no goals no wins) De Boer games.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Much rather him be considered and measured about his next move. Swansea are a decent club who are trying to get themselves back on an even keel after relegation and completely rebuilding their team and squad with young players. He wants assurances from them about their future commitments.

Brighton are a relatively new Premier League club who have just sacked a very respected manager who kept them (just) in the top flight. He'll probably want equally strong commitments from us about how we will support him. He also knows he has to change our style of play AND keep us in the Premier League. You only have to look at how well that plan went with with De Boer and Palace; Parrish famously touted a new entertaining style and change of direction but bottled that after four (no goals no wins) De Boer games.

3 wins in 23 premier league games, terrible and defensive football are all reasons why Hughton was sacked. Additionally, after sacking De Boer - Palace have largely done well and have been winning plenty of their away games.

I'm not sure the two are comparable at all.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Either it's taking 5 days to interview 3 managers and for our favourite Potter to decide to move his family again so quickly, and once decided us to negotiate contracts and fees with Swansea, Potter, his backroom staff, and his favourite scout once or . . . . . well it's not going to happen that quick is it.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Of course he's thinking about it.
Wouldn't reflect well on him if he didn't.

I'd imagine we'd = more money in the short term. But weighed against that is concerns about moving family etc.

I am guessing, given where he has come from, and where he hopes to go, money is not the driving force in his decisions right now. I am sure Swansea are paying plenty enough and will pay more if needed, and getting his decisions right at this stage in his career could lead to far more lucrative deals in future than either Swansea, or we, will offer right now.

Swansea offer the opportunity to consolidate his reputation and potentially (if he thinks the investment will be sufficient) put a promotion on his CV, which instantly makes him a very valuable commodity.

We offer the chance to fast track his career and develop a reputation in the PL. On the other hand (as a seemingly thoughtful chap) he may be honest enough with himself to think he might not be ready. And if things go wrong, he gets a relegation on his CV, which could set things back career wise.

Not so simple a decision as I read it.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
When journalists write 'understood to be' I take that to mean that they are just guessing. If they knew what he was thinking there would be no need for it. Just filling newspapers.

Well the good ones , and Brian Owen is a good one, would probably have spoken to someone who knows .

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

Looking at Swansea's squad and financials i cant see them making it back to the Premier League anytime soon.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Admittedly i'm ignorant to the process, but i don't understand why we are waiting for Swansea. If he has a £2m release clause in his contract, as reported, then surely we don't need permission from them if we are prepared to pay that.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Admittedly i'm ignorant to the process, but i don't understand why we are waiting for Swansea. If he has a £2m release clause in his contract, as reported, then surely we don't need permission from them if we are prepared to pay that.

Not sure if it's a release clause or just a figure Swansea have come up with as compensation for releasing him from his contract.

It seems that the sticking point now is that we are not prepared to pay the £2m, therefore Swansea haven't permitted talks to start.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

It seems Swansea has sent a messenger on a cruise liner to speak to one of the owners on the East Coast, then will travel by horse and wagon across the mid west, the great plaines , transverse the Rockies, then through the south western deserts to speak to the other owner on the West coast.

I presume he'll repeat that journey all the way back to Swansea with the answer. :facepalm:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
It's so many factors, not just a decent stadium (Swansea have one of those), the personal upheaval for him, the potential rebuilding of our squad, many unknowns. With blue and white specs on, yes it's a massive step up, but to the larger footballing world we're still little old Brighton.

And I was him, I would be considering as far as BHA are concerned;

What’s the playing budget compared to rivals? Wages specifically
Will the club invest heavily where it is needed?
Are they expecting me to bring youth through now?
Are they expecting attractive football whilst playing youth?

I would also be a bit nervous about what happened to the previous manager.

Do I want to relocate my family again, when I could possibly only be in Brighton til Xmas.

My career would be more likely enhanced by a promotion push in the Championship on a low budget, than a relegation scrap against wealthier teams in the Premier League.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Well the good ones , and Brian Owen is a good one, would probably have spoken to someone who knows .

So are you saying Brian Owen is understood to have spoken to someone? Or that you know he has spoken to someone?

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Seems to me that whomever is appointed will be in a head coach capacity, whether that be Potter, Neville or anyone else. Yes managing ego's etc. will still have to be done but i would think both of these guys have enough experience of the game and working with ego's to cope very well, perhaps Neville even more so.

I think they will have a say in recruitment, but not neccesarily the final say, but will be given players that fit into the vision that the club has of how they see the Albion playing moving forward, it will be up to the head coach to get the best out of these players.

While it does already happen in the U.K. It is far more common in Europe, the idea being that if the head coach moves on for whatever reason, the next guy comes in without the club needing to offload half a team that aren't fancied by the new guy and spending many, many millions on replacements.

The future for Brighton appears to be developing the whole club football wise to play the same system at all age groups allowing for seamless transition as players progress through the different age groups to the first team, hence the appointment of Dan Ashworth to oversee the entire project.

So whether it be Potter or Neville or anyone else, it will be someone that Ashworth feels will allow progression all the way through the ranks, while capable of coaching the system that the club feels they should be playing.

There is a lot of negativity on here for both of these guys but maybe they will be outstanding if their vision is in line with that of the club, we cant compete at the top end for transfer fees so a different system is needed and should allow us to compete for the best young talent out there.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

You have to look it from Potters point of view and Brighton's point of view. Brighton have to do things above board or they could be heavily fined for it.

If Potter simply jumps ship and fails at Brighton - Who realistically might employ him in the future. Some clubs would but others would see him as disloyal and never employ him, so he would limit himself in the future. He has to do it the correct way as well.

I think things are most likely being done in the right manner. Five days isn't exactly a long time for this process and the fact that it is '' close season'' there isn't a major rush. He will still have family holidays to go on anyhow during the summer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here