Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So in your dealings with him, was there ever an occasion when your opening offer was a bargain and you both knew it, yet he still insisted on negotiation?

I never dealt with TB personally but in those days everything was full price, so I had to take a cut in my commission to get the deal done :smile:

Long term it was good business, loyalty, once trust was established, was almost a given in my experience. Had to do a deal every time though!

Different world these days, everybody wants a deal and they’ll chase the best one, hence the demise of so many small businesses that can’t compete with the big boys. Knowledge and customer service is not so important any more.

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
the one thing that frustrated me, even when we were playing well, was that every game was "a tough test" against "a very talented team" etc.

indeed. who do you think he was addressing; himself, the players, TB, the media, us?
i was also baffled

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I still just have this sneaky suspicion that this is all so public and not the way things are normally done that, out of the blue, we'll suddenly announce Phil Neville.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I'd argue it's exactly like that shit show up the road.
Unless the club want to buy 8 first teamers this summer, I can't see how they can appoint a manager with a philosophy at odds to the players we have.
Fulham already had the players and manager for the expansive style and didn't come close to staying up. It's a monumental risk.

so is sticking with the legend that is... chris

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
indeed. who do you think he was addressing; himself, the players, TB, the media, us?
i was also baffled
I always felt that was just paying lip service to the media. He had to talk to them, it was part of the job, so he said the same thing each week, then went back to what his real job was. It never bothered me.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Going to a team that has got into the playoffs hasn't got half the problems we have. Or even did have when he joined us. If he goes to West Brom he has as much chance of getting them promoted as he would have getting relegated with us next season.

The only problem as I see it was that we only won 3 of the last 23 games and it has been alleged that their (to put it mildly) was a split dressing room, well as much as I have loved the work Hughton in majority has done I hold him and his team responsible and TB has dealt with that, please feel free to re quote me come Christmas although I have a suspicion we might have won more games than last season at that stage. [emoji106]

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
We did lose a good manager but Ashworth has been brought in for a second opinion. Bloom and Barber know sweet fa about the footballing side so they wouldn't know where Chris was doing things effectively or not. As I said earlier Chris is quite old school, which isn't a bad thing, but the modern game has changed.

If you think Hughton is 'old school' - have a read - thoughtful, intelligent and a 'thirst for knowledge'

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/28/chris-hughton-brighton-thirst-knowledge-manager

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Our defence is mustard at backs-to-the-wall defending, but make them play a high line, and they won't look up to much all of a sudden. I love D&D, especially Dunk, but they lack pace, and this means that we probably have to sit deep and this, in turn, invites all sorts of other problems. The best teams play a high line, because they know their CBs (and defenders more generally) are as quick as the opponents' forwards. You look at our current team, and it's snail-like down the spine (out wide it's much better).

chelsea swerved this a bit by moving azpilacueta (sp) into their 3

bernado?

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here