Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The FA Cup - Are fans responsible for killing it?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It was in Brazil not America but agree that's when the FA Cup started reducing in significance

One should never let pettyfogging facts get in the way of a strongly held opinion :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The unrelenting rise of the PL (power, money, a law unto itself, and non-stop hype by the media), led to the decline in interest in all other competitions, bar the CL.

This extended to international football too, with far less interest than decades past. But happily saved of late by the great work of Southgate,

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
The death of Grandstand and the all day coverage didn't help either.

Cup final day was an all day treat switching from one side to another. And of course there wasn't the saturation coverage like today so a live game was a always a treat.

And of course Freddie Star dressed as Hitler in wellies inspecting the Wembley turf with Dickie Davies!!!!!!!! ;)

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
The unrelenting rise of the PL (power, money, a law unto itself, and non-stop hype by the media), led to the decline in interest in all other competitions, bar the CL.

This extended to international football too, with far less interest than decades past. But happily saved of late by the great work of Southgate,

Talking purely silverware, does anyone really give a shit who wins the actual PL trophy though? Everything seems to have been devalued barring the CL trophy. Winning the PL is borderline akin to winning the SPL title these days in terms of how much the wider footballing public actually cares, such is the imbalance between the haves and have nots, not to mention how Mickey Mouse the actual PL trophy looks with that silly little gold crown on top. The EFL trophy is ten times more credible looking, the FA Cup itself a thing of beauty and history (and sadly now consigned to).

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

The emergence of the Champions League and the 4 places that can be secured from The PL another nail in the coffin for the importance of the Cup. The movement of top players who demand Champions League Football is another factor for the big clubs who are terrified of slipping away from the elite group. No right-minded business in the PL would value the FA Cup as anything more than a 3rd Priority. For any Club in the top half of the Championship in January, its only ever going to be 2nd priority.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
The FA Cup is still special. There is something special in being able to watch a match where a team is playing another that may be 2, 3 or more divisions above them.

It is a competition which is still enjoyed by those who are ‘football’ fans and not just ‘club’ fans. It is the difference between these two groups that accounts for the low attendances in the early rounds.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
For all the issues surrounding it, it is still very much a relevant competition - consider that 3 of the 4 teams sold out Wembley allocations for the semi finals. And that brings us onto the crux of the issue - City didn't sell out. It is now a very clear 3rd (4th if you include both European competitions separately) most important competition for the biggest clubs in the country. Back when I was a kid, it really was almost on a par with the league title.

If the FA were allowed to give the winner a Champions League spot (even if there were stipulations that you had to also be in the top division to enter), you'd see it's importance rocket.

UEFA wouldn’t allow it, they already have the hunk smaller clubs like Spurs take the space from united.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I can see how us fans have contributed to the demise of the FA cup. But I blame Sky as they've made us fans believe all the magic happens in the Prem. The FA cup barely gets a mention on Sky other than which players will be rested for it. The TV is such a powerful tool on the mind, a program is called a program because that's what it does to your head and in this case, we've been programmed to think the FA cup is a pain in the arse for the Prem teams.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Think the OP is very negative, and I don't recognise it. Brighton have been sensible about pricing for FA Cup ties, I have taken advantage of that with kids and had some really good days in the last couple of years. As a result our crowds for not especially attractive matches have held up well. The SF was a treat, excellent day out, proper atmosphere, team did us proud, retrospectively looks even better after the final.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The FA Cup isn't dead, but it's not the same animal it used to be. I think it is still an essential part of the English football calendar, and throws up some interesting match-ups. It is also an opportunity to go to different grounds, for new blood to visit The Amex.
In many ways I think it's time to accept it the way it is and move on.

It might actually help if the FA axed Prem sides from the League Cup, binned the Checkatrade Trophy and merged both competitions into one Football League Trophy in which all teams from the Championship, Leagues 1 and 2 compete. Here, the bottom 16 of League 2 play off against each other in a Preliminary Round, leaving 8 winners and - hence - 64 teams in the 1st Round proper.

They've tried putting in Prem Under-21 sides or whatever but I don't see what good this has done. Bin that idea.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It'll help that as of 2021 the FA Cup will be exclusively free-to-air as BBC and ITV have won the rights, binning off BT Sport.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Man U started the demise by not playing their top team, due really to Chumps League. However, great opportunity for cheap tickets for some of us exiles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here