Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fallout from Hughton sacking: notice we've suddenly become hated and ridiculed by neutrals

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
who cares what other fans think.

Most Brighton fans love what Hughton did for the club but feel it was time for a change having seen a lot of poor performances and more importantly a lot of tactical mistakes especially around substitutions.
Potter is a gamble but to be honest keeping CH would have been as well and even without the change of manager we would have been a lot of people's choice for relegation based on recent results and the quality of the football.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
"No one likes us!
No one likes us!
No one likes us!
We don't ..... quite understand it and are really quite hurt by it actually. After all we're supercool fans from a right-on, hipster city with the country's only Green MP and ... Ah, now I understand."

Self loathing is so unattractive.

Oh, and, I was meaning to reply to the OP post.

Bollocks.

And Bollocks.

And, Bollocks.

And

Bollocks.

Bollocks.

Fact.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Same was said after Leicester sacked Ranieri but that proved to be the right call, albeit difficult due to what had been achieved previously. Turned out to be the right decision and I personally think this one will be too.

Don't worry about it and enjoy the unknown

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I wonder how many of them would put their hands up and accept him at the team they support. Not many I would have thought.
Oh well, just move on.

DavePage

I think it's mean that Sky Sports gave Potter some 'Yoda Ears' myself... Disrespectful. ???

View attachment 109965

Apart from that, the trolls commenting have probably only ever read news clippings and see 3 minutes of game highlights on MoTD before nodding off with a beer in their hand - so they're not really well placed to comment.

Thought it was a halo, my bad.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
Not bovved about whatever they're saying but I can tell you this. If Hughton was managing another team and they were playing like we were and in a relegation fight, I reckon those fans would be calling for his head a lot faster than some of us did.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
If the club were so wrong in sacking CH, no doubt he will be signed up pretty quickly by the next Premier team that requires a manager.
Hmm?
Anyway, we have a sparkling new manager and his entourage, so let us look forward and not back.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think we need to accept that will be the response.

Hughton is widely liked and respected. Norwich and Newcastle are generally thought of as having dumped on him when he was keeping them up (and some, in Newcastle's case, they were 11th!!). We too, on here, have had exactly the same view of those two clubs for much of his tenure here.

We are now the 3rd club to have done that to Chris, despite him picking us up from a lower ebb than either of those previous two. We've only very briefly been spoken about as being relegation candidates in the last two years despite coming into the division with no striking threat anyone was worried about, and being everyone's tip for relegation.

Even amongst us, the view on IN/OUT was split, and that's having seen the football up close. So of course, from the outside it looks even more puzzling. We are being seen as the bad guys here, we are seen as having ideas and expectations that are unrealistic for the quality of squad we have .... and it's a valid point, as the squad is bottom 5 material IMHO.

If we struggle next season, or God forbid, go down, be ready for zero sympathy and condolences. We will get wall-to-wall "serves you right", "you did this to yourself", "ideas above yourself" and all of that will stem from the sacking of Chris Hughton. Anyone who was precious enough to get offended by a few "anti-football" comments will need to toughen up if we struggle next season.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Some people are ignorant; others are trolls.

Life goes on.

Classic one I keep getting, is...

You stayed up and you got to a FA Cup Semi, what more do BHA fans want? You're going down next season....

Yawn...

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
who cares what other fans think.

Most Brighton fans love what Hughton did for the club but feel it was time for a change having seen a lot of poor performances and more importantly a lot of tactical mistakes especially around substitutions.
Potter is a gamble but to be honest keeping CH would have been as well and even without the change of manager we would have been a lot of people's choice for relegation based on recent results and the quality of the football.

Not me, but I think there are plenty on here who do. There are various precious postings about what other fans say about us, and our stadium, and our fans etc.

You're absolutely right, it would have been a gamble to keep him, and it's a gamble to have moved on from him. Just as it is a gamble to stick with the bulk of the current squad in the belief that Potter can get more out of them, but also a gamble to overhaul the squad. A lot of people - and it will happen with the Hughton sacking - will have a belief of how the alternative reality would have played out like, in the knowledge that they cannot be proved wrong.

Whatever happens this season, here will be some who will tell us that Hughton would have definitely kept us up, and others who will tell us Hughton would have definitely taken us down. There is not an automatically "safe" option in any of this.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
In terms of people making these judgements. Take a look on the "Darren Moore Sacked" thread...

https://www.northstandchat.com/show...Brom-sack-Darren-Moore&highlight=darren+moore

Some comments on there indicate we're all the same really. I imagine West Brom fans felt much like ours do now: Misunderstood and misrepresented amongst the media.

That said, I don't really care. I'm really excited to see what Ashworth and Potter bring to the club.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Better to be unliked than patronised with ‘nice family club managed by nice man’

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I couldn't care less what "other people" think of us, I lost faith in Hughton when he set up defensively against Southampton... and we still lost. That doesn't in any way take away from what he achieved in the four and half years he was with the club - staying with a club that long is in itself something of an achievement for a manager these days - but ultimately I want to see Brighton trying to win games (or even have some shots on target).

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I listened to the Sunday Supplement podcast (that show is so outdated). And it's scary just how much of an agenda they were pushing regarding Hughton's sacking. Yet they didn't once offer an alternate view as to why it was the right thing to do. It's incredible that people can be on TV to push such a one sided agenda without being held accountable.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I guess these are the same people that said we didnt deserve to stay up because we played dull boring park the bus football, unlike unlucky Cardiff, Fulham and Huddersfield who at least gave it a go!

I believe we have lost the love in factor many had with us because of the Archer years and the struggle to survive. Things are very different now and we are just another Premier League money machine with a rich Chairman (many will ignore he is a genuine fan)

I do find it strange that Newcastle and Norwich did the same thing, there must be an underlying reason as to why he gets sacked when a team not been relegated.

IMHO he did a fantastic job at the club and wish him all the best with his next job.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I guess these are the same people that said we didnt deserve to stay up because we played dull boring park the bus football, unlike unlucky Cardiff, Fulham and Huddersfield who at least gave it a go!

I believe we have lost the love in factor many had with us because of the Archer years and the struggle to survive. Things are very different now and we are just another Premier League money machine with a rich Chairman (many will ignore he is a genuine fan)

I do find it strange that Newcastle and Norwich did the same thing, there must be an underlying reason as to why he gets sacked when a team not been relegated.

IMHO he did a fantastic job at the club and wish him all the best with his next job.

The fact that three clubs got rid of CH, suggests the powers that be reckoned he'd taken things as far as he could, his limitations were being exposed and he had reached the limits of his capabilities.
Delia Smith has been quoted as saying that the mistake the Norwich Board made was not sacking him earlier in the season!
What do they say? 'Once is a mistake, twice is a pattern and three times is a habit!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The fact that three clubs got rid of CH, suggests the powers that be reckoned he'd taken things as far as he could, his limitations were being exposed and he had reached the limits of his capabilities.
Delia Smith has been quoted as saying that the mistake the Norwich Board made was not sacking him earlier in the season!
What do they say? 'Once is a mistake, twice is a pattern and three times is a habit!
And Mike Ashley said it was a mistake sacking him (or words to that effect) at Newcastle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here