Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] EU Elections. Where is your X ?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Sigh ....................

I will repeat the answer that you and your chums seem to be incapable of understanding. After weighing up all the pros and cons, I do not want to be in the EU. Too difficult I guess.

I genuinely am not bothered whether the likes of Rees-Mogg are pleased or not.

I am more than capable of understanding and have an open mind on Europe all I need is to have someone convince me how life will be better outside the EU , so far no one has been able to do that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
"Not even a party"

[tweet]1130441525052284934[/tweet]

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
''Now the fact that (before the vote) I saw no remain candidate setting out as food for thought, the most knotty issue, the Ireland question, was their bad. Their omission''.
No, it's yours. It was mentioned plenty over the course of several months in the run-up to the vote, by both sides. Google "2016 Irish Border warning" for a selection of the arguments which were put out there but you managed to miss.

Next, you will have me believe you remember it...! Never mind Googling it after the event.

It was NOT something that was used in the forefront of the remain campaign. I am the first to admit - whilst I still want us to leave the EU - it should have been.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I am more than capable of understanding and have an open mind on Europe all I need is to have someone convince me how life will be better outside the EU , so far no one has been able to do that.
OK, vote remain then, I don't mind; you have a perfect right to do so - or if you just don't know, don't bother voting at all. All I have is 40 years experience of wishing I wasn't in the EU - and I remember the bullshit that was flung about in the 1975 referendum campaign. That's more than enough for me.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Next, you will have me believe you remember it...! Never mind Googling it after the event.

It was NOT something that was used in the forefront of the remain campaign. I am the first to admit - whilst I still want us to leave the EU - it should have been.

Absolutely I remember the Irish border being raised as an issue, on many occasions. It's the only land border between the UK and the EU, and it's written into the Good Friday Agreement that it will remain completely invisible in perpetuity - how could it not be mentioned? I also remember Leave campaigners dismissing concerns about returning to a hard border and the inevitable threat to peace as "more project fear", because there was no need for a border as we were "going to leave with the easiest deal in history", "German car manufacturers knocking down Mrs Merkel's door", "they need us more than we need them" etc etc. All of which has proved to be Grade A bullsh*t.

If you didn't pick up on it, either you'd already made up your mind before the campaign started, or your engagement with it was more superficial than it might (or should?) have been.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Absolutely I remember the Irish border being raised as an issue, on many occasions. It's the only land border between the UK and the EU, and it's written into the Good Friday Agreement that it will remain completely invisible in perpetuity - how could it not be mentioned? I also remember Leave campaigners dismissing concerns about returning to a hard border and the inevitable threat to peace as "more project fear", because there was no need for a border as we were "going to leave with the easiest deal in history", "German car manufacturers knocking down Mrs Merkel's door", "they need us more than we need them" etc etc. All of which has proved to be Grade A bullsh*t.

If you didn't pick up on it, either you'd already made up your mind before the campaign started, or your engagement with it was more superficial than it might (or should?) have been.

Careful now.

It could be read that you are defending the Remain campaign while attacking the ineptitude of Leave.

If Remain wasnt so ignorant of the (rather ironically ignorant) populous the Remain campaign would have been considerably better at explaining the benefits of the EU.
Telling us exactly how leaving that would effect everybody and showing the lies of the opposition.

I was somewhat ignorant of the EU before and during the campaign.
TBH i only voted Remain because all the racists want to Leave.
Had the campaign been fit and proper im sure not a drop of milkshake would be spilt now and we wouldnt be lead my Mrs May.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

Britain (England) v Germany
Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagen, Porsche.
"They need us more than we need them".
Just about sums up the British and the leave voters.
The type that fly the St George flag in their back garden.
And if people want to buy one of those cars, they will anyway.
But as you say it was more project fear.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
In April, British Steel borrowed £100m from the government to enable it to pay an EU carbon bill, so it could avoid a steep fine.

EU Carbon Bill, another way for the EU to fill their bank account.

Yes, a bill it couldn’t afford because orders had dwindled to virtually nothing due to Brexit. A bill I might add, that’s designed to protect the environment. So, um, get a clue.

You can read the facts here, should you choose to do so.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/410ec38a-5eb4-11e9-b285-3acd5d43599e

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
In April, British Steel borrowed £100m from the government to enable it to pay an EU carbon bill, so it could avoid a steep fine.

EU Carbon Bill, another way for the EU to fill their bank account.

Wny couldnt it pay the bill?

Anyway, better to **** the planet that lose a blue passport.

Edit: The reason they had to borrow has already been pointed out.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
If the illiberal party are the future then we are all ****ed..

LibDems behaving (again) rather badly in Lewes by all accounts

Greens are looking likely to be the potential block to the far right coalition exerting real power in the EP so if you genuinely want to think about who you vote for and why (rather than a knee-jerk reaction to how you feel this week) that's something to be aware of...

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Yes, a bill it couldn’t afford because orders had dwindled to virtually nothing due to Brexit. A bill I might add, that’s designed to protect the environment. So, um, get a clue.

But Brexit, which 'caused this', has not happened. How does that work?

How can something that has not taken place, apart from being used as an excuse or political football, affect this. Unless it IS just an excuse of course.

Maybe the coal mines would still be in full flow if it weren't for this pesky Brexit.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
But Brexit, which 'caused this', has not happened. How does that work?

How can something that has not taken place, apart from being used as an excuse or political football, affect this. Unless it IS just an excuse of course.

Maybe the coal mines would still be in full flow if it weren't for this pesky Brexit.

Hmm, I’m not sure you are being wholly serious here? I can’t imagine anyone being quite so ignorant. However, on the chance you are being serious, the uncertainty of Brexit has impacted trade, the value of the pound and global faith in the U.K.
Brexit is a concept as well as a process.
The uncertainty of Brexit has had a devastating effect on U.K. markets.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Hmm, I’m not sure you are being wholly serious here? I can’t imagine anyone being quite so ignorant. However, on the chance you are being serious, the uncertainty of Brexit has impacted trade, the value of the pound and global faith in the U.K.
Brexit is a concept as well as a process.
The uncertainty of Brexit has had a devastating effect on U.K. markets.

So what you're saying then, and correct me if I'm wrong, that it's the UNCERTAINTY casing this so called steel meltdown? Ergo, if the referendum result had been accepted and processed smoothly and quickly, all would be good in the steel world?,

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...-in-us-after-money-laundering-sting-gzcdcj23l

A disgraced former aide to Nigel Farage who was jailed in America for offering to launder money for drug lords is a fundraiser for the Brexit Party, it can be revealed.

George Cottrell, a 25-year-old aristocrat known as “Posh George”, served as Ukip’s head of fundraising until his arrest by federal agents on charges of extortion, money laundering and fraud in 2016.

Since his release from a federal prison in Arizona after agreeing a plea deal, he has avoided appearing with Farage. However, a senior source in the Brexit Party said he had reprised his role as one of his top fundraisers.

Do Brexit Party voters think this is okay, or not so much? Serious question.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So what you're saying then, and correct me if I'm wrong, that it's the UNCERTAINTY casing this so called steel meltdown? Ergo, if the referendum result had been accepted and processed smoothly and quickly, all would be good in the steel world?,

Brexit has pushed it into administration. Other factors have played their part. Brexit uncertainty killed it.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

If you think of CERTAINTY on a spectrum Remain would be CERTAIN and No Deal would be UNCERTAIN, with Leave with some kind of Deal somewhere in the middle, but more UNCERTAIN than CERTAIN. I reckon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here