Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] IF VAR had been in place in the PL THIS season...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Knockaert sent off in the first minute against Palace

This where VAR will unravel. There is no objective answer to whether certain challenges are yellow or red, same with handball really. Just magnifies controversy rather than eliminate it.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The linesman shouldn't flag, but if he does and the ref doesn't blow his whistle, it should be a goal. You play to the whistle.
Depends how long after the whistle they strike the ball, and whether the ref thought it worthy of a yellow card. That would all happen before VAR got involved. There'd be nothing for VAR to look at, as it can't be a goal once the ref has blown his whistle.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This where VAR will unravel. There is no objective answer to whether certain challenges are yellow or red, same with handball really. Just magnifies controversy rather than eliminate it.

Yes and in the case of Knockaert the ref himself said, it was so split second, that if Knockaert had won the ball, then the Palace player would have been booked as they were both high.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Other clubs may have benefited from VAR too, particularly Cardiff.

Yes, but they have stood out because of the fuss Warnock has made, in reality they probably haven’t had as many as us or even Burnley, when you think of the pens they’ve been denied.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Well if they aren't going to take it back as far to check a corner before a goal, would they have taken it far back enough to check Burnley's blatant basketball tactics in the box prior to them getting a penalty up the other end in the game at the Amex?

This is why VAR is so frigging useless.

You're missing something here. The corners aren't checked, whereas handball incidents are checked. If we had VAR during that burnley game the referee would have given the pen to burnley, and it would've been brought back for a penalty for us, this has happened a few times in Europe. If a goal is scored from a set piece it isn't revoked based on an incorrectly given set piece (throw in or corner).

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
VAR rules

Can someone advise of the what would happen if:

A team plays on and scores a goal after the linesman has flagged, which is then deemed onside and the opponents have given up due to the flag?

To avoid this happening, linos are told to not flag if it’s tight, even if they think it’s offside - .

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Cardiff's offside goal and Burnley's offside goal in the away matches to win them the games are the ones that wrangle with me given we are competing with them.

We should have also had a penalty in the away match against Palace where Duffy was hauled to the ground by his neck.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This where VAR will unravel. There is no objective answer to whether certain challenges are yellow or red, same with handball really.
I agree that there's no clear line with those examples, but that's fine by me. If we can reduce the big mistakes, and we end up with decisions that could be argued one way or the other, that's a win as far as I'm concerned.

The objective isn't to get every fan in agreement with every decision, it's just to stop some of the really bad decisions.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Would have been interesting to see what VAR would have made of the Bruno vs Rondon penalty incident in the first half on Saturday. It looks innocuous at the time (accidental and a bit of play acting) but on replay I think it was fortunate to not have been given.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
...which key moments in matches involving the Albion would most likely have been affected?

I am no fan of VAR and think, like Japanese Knotweed, it will gradually undermine the foundations of the game and be impossible to get rid of once it has taken hold. I'm not looking forward to goals being ruled out because a toenail is in an 'offside' position for a nano-second, but we are where we are. So had VAR been in place this season, which key moments in matches involving the Albion would most likely have been affected?

Three incidents that immediately spring to mind for me are:

1. Cardiff's winner (away). Miles offside.
2. Our winner (Newcastle away) - should have been a goal kick to Newcastle, not a corner to us.
3. Burnley's pen to make it 1-3 at the Amex. Should have been a pen to us immediately prior to that.

Any others?

Number 2 is not a VAR call.

Apart from that you oppose VAR because it would result in correct decisions being made, and that would be like Japanese Knotweed? ???

Perhaps you can also explain how goal line technology has ruined our game. The end of tackling from behind, too. And let's not forget use of three substitutions, and the offside rule. Add in a bit of racist banter and we are only one flask and plastic bottle top away from the 1950s.

Rationing, we need that back too.

??? :lolol:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Number 2 is not a VAR call.

Apart from that you oppose VAR because it would result in correct decisions being made, and that would be like Japanese Knotweed? ???

Perhaps you can also explain how goal line technology has ruined our game. The end of tackling from behind, too. And let's not forget use of three substitutions, and the offside rule. Add in a bit of racist banter and we are only one flask and plastic bottle top away from the 1950s.

Rationing, we need that back too.

??? :lolol:

Where did I say Goal Line Technology has ruined the game? Oh, that's right - I didn't. You just made that up. In fact I like GLT as it is all the things VAR isn't: instantaneous; indisputable, based on evidence not opinion and always 100% correct.

I am not a fan of VAR as I believe it will fail to solve many of the issues those championing it believe it will, leaving us with a hollowed-out version of the game comprised of multiple 'stop-starts' that ultimately solve nothing and satisfy nobody. But we shall see next season, I suppose. I'm very happy to be proved wrong. But quite how you managed to make the mental leap from my sceptiscm about video refs to racist banter and returning to the 1950s is anybodies guess? Maybe you are having a bad day.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Where did I say Goal Line Technology has ruined the game? Oh, that's right - I didn't. You just made that up. In fact I like GLT as it is all the things VAR isn't: instantaneous; indisputable, based on evidence not opinion and always 100% correct.

I am not a fan of VAR as I believe it will fail to solve many of the issues those championing it believe it will, leaving us with a hollowed-out version of the game comprised of multiple 'stop-starts' that ultimately solve nothing and satisfy nobody. But we shall see next season, I suppose. I'm very happy to be proved wrong. But quite how you managed to make the mental leap from my sceptiscm about video refs to racist banter and returning to the 1950s is anybodies guess? Maybe you are having a bad day.

Sorry, I was just being facetious, and playing on the idea that you were expressing Luddite views. To be fair (to myself) I did say 'perhaps you can also explain' blah blah goal line technology. I was not suggesting that VAR is goal line technology. However they both represent change. So my facetious comments we to illustrate that change has always been met with hostility. And let me reassure you, I am not suggesting you're a racist, or a Teddy Boy (or a racist Teddy Boy).

My take is that VAR will be a boon, but it will need to be tweaked. I have also mentioned in other posts on the topic that I suspect some refs will subconsciously (and in some cases consciously) sabotage VAR (by making long drawn out decisions with loads of radio chat and screen checking - as we have seen) in order to preserve the special place of the referee as the interpreter and executor of the laws of the game. This will annoy the crap out of people.

However, in the end, the tide of incontestably correct decisions that would certainly have gone the other way without the VAR will have all but the most reactionary old skool folk accepting, perhaps reluctantly and with ill grace, that we are better off with VAR.

I hope that is more clear and less offensive. :thumbsup:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Sorry, I was just being facetious, and playing on the idea that you were expressing Luddite views. To be fair (to myself) I did say 'perhaps you can also explain' blah blah goal line technology. I was not suggesting that VAR is goal line technology. However they both represent change. So my facetious comments we to illustrate that change has always been met with hostility. And let me reassure you, I am not suggesting you're a racist, or a Teddy Boy (or a racist Teddy Boy).

My take is that VAR will be a boon, but it will need to be tweaked. I have also mentioned in other posts on the topic that I suspect some refs will subconsciously (and in some cases consciously) sabotage VAR (by making long drawn out decisions with loads of radio chat and screen checking - as we have seen) in order to preserve the special place of the referee as the interpreter and executor of the laws of the game. This will annoy the crap out of people.

However, in the end, the tide of incontestably correct decisions that would certainly have gone the other way without the VAR will have all but the most reactionary old skool folk accepting, perhaps reluctantly and with ill grace, that we are better off with VAR.

I hope that is more clear and less offensive. :thumbsup:

At what cost though?

Many of the things you mentioned facetiously in your prior post have caused interruptions in play. The game is already more stop-start than it used to be.

Watching some headmaster looking figure spend a minute chatting to various peers and players before making 10 deliberate paces to draw a line in magic foam to cue another minute of chatting before play is restarted is enough to make my piss boil, but there's no dispute that it solved a legitimate concern in the game (walls incrementally stepping forward).

Three substitutions needed for a variety of reasons, but often exploited just as a means to wind down the clock and/or break momentum in the flow of the game.

Tackling from behind even with clean contact on the ball, again I understand the reasoning but this naturally results in more stoppages.

Goal line tech is the only one that literally has no affect on the flow of the game whatsoever which is why it was so utterly exasperating that it took this long to implement, at least at the highest domestic level and national tournaments.

I have some very genuine concerns about VAR. Goals in football are not in great abundance (rather emphatically evidenced by our current plight) and thus the celebrations are euphoric and passionate. Our goal against Newcastle for example was a long time coming, fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, long term friends and even strangers embrace and rejoice. How great would it have been to see VAR CHECKING on the screens after that? Then disallowed because 3 pixels of Gross's knee was shown to be behind the defensive line.

Then there are interpretations of certain events which seem to have little to no consistency. Walker forcibly motioned his head towards our player, VAR checked this and somehow ruled this was not a red card offence. Instead he was presented with a yellow which was utterly baffling. Are we to believe that Duffy was sent off wrongly then? Pundits spend hours debating certain decisions and can't come to a consensus, even former referees disagree. I'd rather debatable decisions be made in an instant, than after 3-5mins as the paying fans sit/stand and wait for an equally contentious outcome.

Last edited:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
3. Burnley's pen to make it 1-3 at the Amex. Should have been a pen to us immediately prior to that.

Any others?

Burnley's pen made it 0-3. If the handball by Hendrick had been given and the penalty scored, that would have made it 1-2; game still on rather than game over, but no guarantee of any extra points.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Burnley's pen made it 0-3. If the handball by Hendrick had been given and the penalty scored, that would have made it 1-2; game still on rather than game over, but no guarantee of any extra points.

I think people are just listing decisions that would have seen players walk or impacted scoring and conceding goals, not so much points lost/gained.

It's very likely at 2-1 it would have been a different game though but no guarantees as you said (we may have missed the penalty as we did the season before).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here