Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would you offer Bruno and Bong new contracts?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In related comments, I think next season we'll see just how good Bernardo is. A lot more to come from that lad IMO.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That's nothing to do with him getting another contract to play or ability to perform.

It i because if they are not considered by CH to be still able to perform at the level we require then the answer must be no but many on here would say yes irrespective. based purely on sentimentality of their achievements in the past.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It i because if they are not considered by CH to be still able to perform at the level we require then the answer must be no but many on here would say yes irrespective. based purely on sentimentality of their achievements in the past.

No, that's not what they are saying if you read the posts properly.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For me this is a bonus season as far as Bruno is concerned and Hughton clearly wanted him to stay because he didn't fancy Schelotto.

My biggest nightmare is that Montoya gets injured, Bruno starts every game and after a few matches starts making mistakes. I hope he retires at the end of the season and we give him a big send-off. Indeed, I hope the club are already on the case planning for his replacement.

As for Bong I think he's a decent reserve left-back so I'd give him a contract.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Keeping Gaetan Bong will be a very clear marker that we do not have any ambition for next season either and that we should accept thinking 13th is brilliant, rather than par.

We should be striving to improve, year on year. Keeping Bong would be accepting a low standard and that shouldn't be acceptable.

I love Bruno, and always will. But it would be a mistake to keep him for another season.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Both look good enough for 2 year contracts.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Keeping Gaetan Bong will be a very clear marker that we do not have any ambition for next season either and that we should accept thinking 13th is brilliant, rather than par.

We should be striving to improve, year on year. Keeping Bong would be accepting a low standard and that shouldn't be acceptable.

I love Bruno, and always will. But it would be a mistake to keep him for another season.

We ARE striving to improve, which is why we upgraded Bong with Bernardo in the 1st XI. If Bong can play a full season and a half as a starter he can sure as hell play back-up in 2019/20.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I wasnt referring specifically to this thread but the general opinion on NSC that Bruno must be given a job at the club.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/16...model-pros-as-they-build-a-boot-room-culture/

Bruno has already been told there is a role for him at the club when he retires. Calde and Bobby are also considered to be two former players who could offer something to the club as they look to build a boot-room culture similar to that of the Liverpool team of the 70's and 80's.

The article originally suggested Rosenior and Sidwell would be in for roles at the club and both have since taken up coaching roles with our development squads.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think you can do all the scouting in the world and watch as many videos of players as you possibly can but until you get to see them at close quarters you can never really tell how good a player is going to be.

It is obvious with the signings of Suttner, Schelotto, Bernardo, and Bernardo. The upgrades on full backs we have tried to address but both Bong and Bruno step up and raise their game and have at the very minimum matched their new found competition.

So in time we will find upgrades and who knows it might be in the summer, so really that's the time to decide. Too soon to decide now. Bong would be a bigger risk to let go than Bruno but certainly next season Bruno can't really be Captain if he is not going to be first choice.

I really like both though so I don't envy the Manager that task or decision.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think you can do all the scouting in the world and watch as many videos of players as you possibly can but until you get to see them at close quarters you can never really tell how good a player is going to be.

It is obvious with the signings of Suttner, Schelotto, Bernardo, and Bernardo. The upgrades on full backs we have tried to address but both Bong and Bruno step up and raise their game and have at the very minimum matched their new found competition.

So in time we will find upgrades and who knows it might be in the summer, so really that's the time to decide. Too soon to decide now. Bong would be a bigger risk to let go than Bruno but certainly next season Bruno can't really be Captain if he is not going to be first choice.

I really like both though so I don't envy the Manager that task or decision.

Well, Bruno isn't really first choice this season either! Possible for him to be Club Captain l guess, with Lewis Dunk named as Team Captain.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Have to give Bong another year if we get someone better to replace him it'll be December before he gets a run out! Is CH loyal or sentimental for Bruno ?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I'm not sure Mr Bong will hang around if he's not No1 as it were.

Happy for him to sign though if he's happy to fight it out with Bernado.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Was he not first choice at the start of the season ? - I can't remember

Bruno started the first game of the season at Watford before going off injured in the 26th min. Montoya had only joined 2 days before and we hadn't had international clearance for him in time for the Watford match. Impossible to say if Bruno would have started the Watford game if Montoya could have played but I'd argue he wouldn't have done.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We can't assume that they actually want to stay. For example, Bruno may decide that he wants another season of being first choice at a lower club

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Fair play to Bong, he has seen off Suttner. I reckon I would give him another deal. We could pay good money for worse.

As for Bruno, obviously I wish he could play forever.
surely it won’t get to the point where the club shows him the door, when he wants to stay.
I suspect he will retire at the end of the season.
Should that come to pass, I will quietly weep.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here