Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2018

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Can hearthily recommend a few hours in Altes Madchen if anyone happens to be in Hamburg. They do a dish of the day for 9.50 which was a nice bit of steak atop creamy polenta and roasted veggies which was washed down with one of their own Zwickel beers, brewed on site.

Great setting and a huge variety of beer.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I only went to the bit on Enid Street ie BBNo, Cloudwater, Sweden Calling and Moor. The issue was numerous large groups of pissed up blokes (stags, Xmas parties, whatever) staggering around being loud and annoying. There was a group of around 20 all in Santa hats annoying everyone in Cloudwater, being rude to the staff, spilling beer and when a glass got broken they were eventually asked to leave. They had to mop up all the beer they’d spilt. It was nice after they left. The venue is small, they dominated the place. I then went to Moor. Another different group came in there, all with laminates round their necks proclaiming something or other. They were getting on my tits and then the Santa hated guys started to come in, in small groups. Decided to leave. I picked up a copy of London Drinker and coincidentally it had a piece on on of the breweries and how stag dos etc are affecting the place. It’s not my thing.

Is there actually any point in venturing into a restaurant in the run-up to xmas? You just KNOW that it'll all be about mass catering, portion control and having to share oxygen with once-a-year office party amateur drinking wallahs. Fair enough tho eh, they leave us alone for the other 50 weeks of the year :xmas:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is there actually any point in venturing into a restaurant in the run-up to xmas? You just KNOW that it'll all be about mass catering, portion control and having to share oxygen with once-a-year office party amateur drinking wallahs. Fair enough tho eh, they leave us alone for the other 50 weeks of the year :xmas:

They were brewery tap rooms not restaurants. The two restaurants were perfect. I hear you, but I presumed a bunch of poncy tap rooms in a god forsaken part of London well out of the usual tourist areas might be safe. I was very wrong; craft is very much part of the mainstream now.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can hearthily recommend a few hours in Altes Madchen if anyone happens to be in Hamburg. They do a dish of the day for 9.50 which was a nice bit of steak atop creamy polenta and roasted veggies which was washed down with one of their own Zwickel beers, brewed on site.

Great setting and a huge variety of beer.

Seconded.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The Salt Room last night with the Mrs and my mum and step dad.

The things they thought they did badly didn't bother us at all, while the thing they think they do well impressed me less. My step dad is really quite decrepit and can't walk far and we mentioned this in the booking. We got a table right by the door and he was really sympathetically looked after. They also made "off menu" cocktails. They brought us the wrong one initially and for this they comped one, let us keep the "wrong" one and took service off the bill (we tipped the waiter in cash anyway later on, the rest of the service was superb).

Sadly what wasn't superb was the salt baked brill main. For £22 there is the theatre of it being opened and carved at table but what you are left with then is some fish fillets with plan boiled potatoes sitting in a couple of bits of burned chorizo. No sauce and no veg. For the price it was uber bland and sexing it up would have involved ordering more sides and sauces off the extras menu. Wife and mum did say their mains were good though. Pudding was delicious - they should sell the stem ginger ice cream by the tub - but tiny.

There are far better value places in Brighton IMO but, that said, it was a pleasant evening with a good deal to drink at least.

7/10

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The things they thought they did badly didn't bother us at all, while the thing they think they do well impressed me less. My step dad is really quite decrepit and can't walk far and we mentioned this in the booking. We got a table right by the door and he was really sympathetically looked after. They also made "off menu" cocktails. They brought us the wrong one initially and for this they comped one, let us keep the "wrong" one and took service off the bill (we tipped the waiter in cash anyway later on, the rest of the service was superb).

Sadly what wasn't superb was the salt baked brill main. For £22 there is the theatre of it being opened and carved at table but what you are left with then is some fish fillets with plan boiled potatoes sitting in a couple of bits of burned chorizo. No sauce and no veg. For the price it was uber bland and sexing it up would have involved ordering more sides and sauces off the extras menu. Wife and mum did say their mains were good though. Pudding was delicious - they should sell the stem ginger ice cream by the tub - but tiny.

There are far better value places in Brighton IMO but, that said, it was a pleasant evening with a good deal to drink at least.

7/10

Ha. No way. I was there last night as well, albeit arriving at 21:50 (with all my luggage) and having to relay my order through from the train to [MENTION=12187]Uter[/MENTION] who arrived earlier....we just made last orders. I was originally booked for 19:00 but we had to push it back a few times due to my travel issues; they were very flexible and helpful.

I almost went for the salt-baked brill but went for the lemon sole. I had oysters upon arrival and the fish soup which was superb. The lemon sole was cooked perfectly and was enjoyable and all in all I really enjoyed it. I get your point about just fish and boiled spuds though. We went for that crazy dessert thing as well.

We also struck up conversation with our( lively) waitress about the infamous Berlin night club Berghain...this was quite amusing as she knew a lot about the place from a friend.

To be fair, after the day I had, I was just grateful to sit down with a friend and relax with a drink. But to steal a Jay Rayner-ism I felt a lot better leaving than when I arrived and The Salt Room played their part.

Off to St John now. Then Cloudwater Tap Room; hopefully no goons this time. I really must start running again in the new year.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ha. No way. I was there last night as well, albeit arriving at 21:50 (with all my luggage) and having to relay my order through from the train to [MENTION=12187]Uter[/MENTION] who arrived earlier....we just made last orders. I was originally booked for 19:00 but we had to push it back a few times due to my travel issues; they were very flexible and helpful.

I almost went for the salt-baked brill but went for the lemon sole. I had oysters upon arrival and the fish soup which was superb. The lemon sole was cooked perfectly and was enjoyable and all in all I really enjoyed it. I get your point about just fish and boiled spuds though. We went for that crazy dessert thing as well.

We also struck up conversation with our( lively) waitress about the infamous Berlin night club Berghain...this was quite amusing as she knew a lot about the place from a friend.

To be fair, after the day I had, I was just grateful to sit down with a friend and relax with a drink. But to steal a Jay Rayner-ism I felt a lot better leaving than when I arrived and The Salt Room played their part.

Off to St John now. Then Cloudwater Tap Room; hopefully no goons this time. I really must start running again in the new year.

You made it over then!

The last time I saw you I'd had "quite a lot" of Jaipur but I'd remember your man bag :lolol: . We were probably shipping out about the time you arrived as our table was 7.30. If you saw someone assisting a very elderly black man with two walking sticks out of the door that was us.

To be fair I think I ordered the wrong thing, which can be done easily enough. I've just never ordered the wrong thing at 64 Degress, while at Little Fish Market that's pretty much impossible. Enjoy St John you lucky, lucky......

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
To be fair, after the day I had, I was just grateful to sit down with a friend and relax with a drink.

You earned it.

IMG-20181221-WA0000.jpg

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

7/10

It is expensive, and there are more imaginative restaurants in Brighton, but if you go on a Monday, when they have a £5 corkage offer, it works out much better value, especially if you're drinking fancy stuff.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I am a big fan on the Salt Room, like their sister restaurant the set lunch menu is STOKING value.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Thought I’d seen a review for this but can’t find it now. Went to Aunt Bunny’s Jamaican place in Worthing today.

Canteen style service and was absolutely rammed at 1.30pm. Lots of take aways and seating was full but managed to share a table with a random.

Menu is kind of limited, Goat Curry, Jerk Chicken & BBQ Pork with a choice of Rice & Pea, or Crazy Potato. Also available in a burrito or a grilled wrap. Some tapas style dishes such as Bajan Fish Cakes & Chicken Wings. Everything is priced £5-£6 each, even side of potato or Rice / Pea.

I went for Jerk Chicken with Rice & Pea. Portion was ok but I left a bit hungry as it was after a gym session. 2 decent bits of boneless chicken thigh in Jerk Sauce. Rice and Pea was well cooked.

Pretty manic, good lunch option but avoid for dinner - if they do it ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
St John:

Fizz
Bone marrow and parsley salad obvs
Crispy widgeon legs and dandelion
Grilled ox heart, Jerusalem artichoke, horseradish.
Eccles cake and Lancashire cheese
2 glasses of red
Complimentary dessert wine.

The great man himself was having lunch as well.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
St John:

Fizz
Bone marrow and parsley salad obvs
Crispy widgeon legs and dandelion
Grilled ox heart, Jerusalem artichoke, horseradish.
Eccles cake and Lancashire cheese
2 glasses of red
Complimentary dessert wine.

The great man himself was having lunch as well.

I didn't think you'd spotted me :blush:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
http://www.caravelle.es is a tip-off from [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]. You’ll see from the link it’s many things to many people but if you’re on the evening shift and craft beer and meat served by tattoed Catalan chicks is your thing it’s worth a visit. As a fan of all three I found myself there early last night. I knew about the first two, the latter wasn’t on the menu and came a bonus.

A nano brewery out the back takes care of the beer and they had 5 different types on; we took the Galactic pale and a NEIPA. Both solid takes on two classic styles. They also smoke and pickle so I was drawn to the rib platter which showcased these skills; pork rib, smoked sausage with slaw and a very nice soft garlic bread. Missus had the chicken burger. Food and drink was tasty, fresh, cooked well. Restaurant space was light, spacious and airy, a nice buzz about the place and service was fine. We took our time but when it was time to go we slammed a couple of Picklebacks before heading to a wine bar.

In summary it’s a solid 7/10. It does what it does very well. There’s a bunch of excellent craft bars in the same area....you could make a great evening of it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Admit it HT, you're just making this up now :lolol:

Lol. You should see where I’m heading for lunch. This, from Tripadvisor:

Authentic classic Catalan cooking
Best brains in Barcelona. Lovely family run authentic Catalan restaurant. Friendly service.Classics include Trinxat (bubble and squeak), deep fried brains, snails, cap i pota (head and feet) and kidneys. A local cafe for local people and well worth seeking out.
Not open in the evening.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUse...66252345-Can_Vilaro-Barcelona_Catalonia.html#

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here