Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cashless Amex en route...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The cloud? What century do you live in? Get it sent straight to you memory chip implanted in your brain.

Brain? What century do you live in? It’s post referendum, nobody has used a brain for over three years.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I don't believe most kids have these. As a retailer I find I may see one kid a week with one of the above cards the rest pay cash.

Those cards do work in cash machines too or maybe it's just a nice middle class bubble in Hove then.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't believe most kids have these. As a retailer I find I may see one kid a week with one of the above cards the rest pay cash.

Really? I was at the Lolapalooza festival, a festival aimed a teens (who all look like Justin Bieber or Billie Eilish) and they all seemed to have cards.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I got dragged screaming into the 21st century yesterday and paid for drinks in the North Stand Concourse using contactless payment for the first time ever.

I didn't like it, and I feel dirty this morning.

When I first started work, you would get a brown envelope on a Friday with Green folding beer tokens. WTF has happened to the world :nono:

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
WSU concourse was a tad annoying yesterday. I’m really not a fan of Fosters or Strongbow, so much so that I’d rather go without a pint than drink one of those rancid drinks. The middle kiosk (for want of a better word) is the only one that sells Heineken (not the greatest beer but a massive improvement on Fosters) but that’s now gone to card only payment. Alas...I only had cash yesterday :(

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
WSU concourse is always a frustrating experience. Serving issues since day one. Again, watched so many punters give up and walk away moaning.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I got dragged screaming into the 21st century yesterday and paid for drinks in the North Stand Concourse using contactless payment for the first time ever.

I didn't like it, and I feel dirty this morning.

When I first started work, you would get a brown envelope on a Friday with Green folding beer tokens. WTF has happened to the world :nono:

I defiantly and proudly used cash yesterday and the only thing I felt this morning was a little bit hungover.

The only queuing problems I saw in the West Upper Concourse yesterday were caused by staffing proficiency issues, not choice of payment ones. As I arrived a little earlier than normal, it was a nice day and sometimes you've got to live la vida loca, I even went and handed over a £20 note for an alfresco pint of Harvey's by the bandstand before going in. £15.50 and a pint were given back to me in a flash with not a contactless card in sight..................

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Used both the cash and cashless kiosks in the ESU. Guinness only bring served from the cashless one. At least until they ran out and couldn't find a new barrel. So I ordered two different drinks which were overall a pound cheaper, then had to wait while they found a bag of coins to refund me the difference. So even though they wouldn't take cash, they had to refund me in cash. Odd.

Can't say I noticed either being noticeably quicker. But it won't make any difference when the gadgie in front of you, gets served but doesn't know if Tom wants a lager or a cider, Dick wants a pie or a burger, what flavour crisps Harry asked for, and has to send his mate to ask.

kennyb

May 23, 2004
What annoys me is where was the consultation with fans groups.

The club can never now quote "freedom of choice" of supporters in their marketing of the club.

I totally understand the benefits to the club however you should always consider "all fans" when making changes like this.

Barber assumes that everyone has contactless cards quite simply he is WRONG.

Supporters might have basic accounts which dont give you contactless card only chip/pin.

Richer parents will have contactless cards for their kids,the poorer ones will not.

Why railroad this change through without Plan B

Most supporters will have ST or My Albion membership card why could the club not devise a system where fans topped up their cards online instead of alientating fans.

Supporters who dont have contactless cards will simply eat/drink before they arrive at local pubs or stop off at McDonalds etc.

Despite the fact i can use my card i will delibrately boycott eating/drinking at the Amex in support of others.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What annoys me is where was the consultation with fans groups.

The club can never now quote "freedom of choice" of supporters in their marketing of the club.

I totally understand the benefits to the club however you should always consider "all fans" when making changes like this.

Barber assumes that everyone has contactless cards quite simply he is WRONG.

Supporters might have basic accounts which dont give you contactless card only chip/pin.

Richer parents will have contactless cards for their kids,the poorer ones will not.

Why railroad this change through without Plan B

Most supporters will have ST or My Albion membership card why could the club not devise a system where fans topped up their cards online instead of alientating fans.

Supporters who dont have contactless cards will simply eat/drink before they arrive at local pubs or stop off at McDonalds etc.

Despite the fact i can use my card i will delibrately boycott eating/drinking at the Amex in support of others.

Equally, one could say that the vast majority of fans do seem to have contactless, and going forward more and more will. I fully understand and sympathise with the issues and impact for some sections of society although I do feel the elderly and tech argument is overplayed a little. I also appreciate accessibility. But, I’m struggling to see a huge issue with this in the context of the AMEX. At worse, some sections of society will be denied the opportunity to purchase ludicrously overpriced and very average food and drink.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Related subject. Tried to buy a Heineken token in ESU to get a bottle at half time. Despite signs everywhere about it, none of the tills had any or knew about it. Even the bloke serving at the designated Collection area had no idea. About as good as when I actually got one last season yet they had no bottles left at half time !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I thought I heard they now sell Beavortown Neck Oil and Lagunitas IPA? Is this true?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I’ve been to stadiums which are cashless in the past (e.g. Bayern Munich) but they offered the option to buy a club card from a vending machine for say £10, use your £10 balance at the concessions, and then register and top up if you wanted to. There was also a way to get a refund on any balance you didn’t spend I’d say you were just there for one game.

Maybe this could be a good option for the club as those arriving without a card and only cash could buy one, and then still buy food / drink.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Equally, one could say that the vast majority of fans do seem to have contactless, and going forward more and more will. I fully understand and sympathise with the issues and impact for some sections of society although I do feel the elderly and tech argument is overplayed a little. I also appreciate accessibility. But, I’m struggling to see a huge issue with this in the context of the AMEX. At worse, some sections of society will be denied the opportunity to purchase ludicrously overpriced and very average food and drink.
absolutly, keep them in their place.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here