Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly's goal-scoring record

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
What bullsh*t are you on about ?

Olafemi is injured, Alofabi hasn't played any game this season after just signing for Celtic last week and is among the subs - and Parrott and Idah are playing in the starting 11 as well as Connolly.

Molumby is captain and has started very well.

They are still not taking it seriously, fifth choice striker starts tonight, along with Mandroiu who couldn't even make it at a small provincial English club.

I guess they can always bring the big guns off the bench, if things don't go to plan.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
They are still not taking it seriously, fifth choice striker starts tonight, along with Mandroiu who couldn't even make it at a small provincial English club.

I guess they can always bring the big guns off the bench, if things don't go to plan.

I was quite disappointed when we let Mandroiu go, he’s a tidy little player and he’s been one of the stars of the League of Ireland this year. But he was essentially fourth choice CM after Molumby, Alzate and Sanders, so I suppose you can’t really blame him for leaving. Expect him to earn a move back to a League 1 or 2 club within the next year.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I was quite disappointed when we let Mandroiu go, he’s a tidy little player and he’s been one of the stars of the League of Ireland this year. But he was essentially fourth choice CM after Molumby, Alzate and Sanders, so I suppose you can’t really blame him for leaving. Expect him to earn a move back to a League 1 or 2 club within the next year.

Cheesy seems to have a bee in his bonnet that makes him have blinkers on.

Mandroiu has been excellent for Bohs this season - scoring 10 goals so far this season - and already has Championship clubs inquiring about him.

Many players drop down from PL clubs to get a chance of games and progress - some do - some don't. Tonight the Irish senior team against Bulgaria is being captained by John Egan - who left Sunderland to join Gillingham and is now playing in the PL (and incidentally when Hughton bought Duffy I suggested on here that Egan was the better option).

Don't be surprised if Mandroiu is back in England with a Championship club in January (the LoI season will be over) and he has the potential to kick on from there. This Irish U-21 squad is very good - and very young - 11 of the squad are 19 or under. It looks like Kenny has gone for older, stronger and more experienced players against Sweden tonight, probably expecting a more 'robust' game from the Swedes (he has left out Idah, Parrot who were the youngest players who played against Armenia and Kilkenny who made his debut in that game and is only 19).

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Cheesy seems to have a bee in his bonnet that makes him have blinkers on.

Mandroiu has been excellent for Bohs this season - scoring 10 goals so far this season - and already has Championship clubs inquiring about him.

Many players drop down from PL clubs to get a chance of games and progress - some do - some don't. Tonight the Irish senior team against Bulgaria is being captained by John Egan - who left Sunderland to join Gillingham and is now playing in the PL (and incidentally when Hughton bought Duffy I suggested on here that Egan was the better option).

Don't be surprised if Mandroiu is back in England with a Championship club in January (the LoI season will be over) and he has the potential to kick on from there. This Irish U-21 squad is very good - and very young - 11 of the squad are 19 or under. It looks like Kenny has gone for older, stronger and more experienced players against Sweden tonight, probably expecting a more 'robust' game from the Swedes (he has left out Idah, Parrot who were the youngest players who played against Armenia and Kilkenny who made his debut in that game and is only 19).

Im surprised Champ clubs are after him already, but that may be in response to the flop that was Towell for us at that level after being the LoI standout player for Dundalk. But fair play to the lad, I think he’s probably got the talent to succeed. Do you know which clubs have been rumoured to be interested?

Let’s hope we have a nice sell-on clause.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

I don't know if you saw this interview with him the other month - 'I was hit over the head with a pint of Bulmers when I scored. I don't know where it came from’

He admits he "..needed to grow up". Hopefully, having had a taste of what might be, he figures it out and goes on to have a successful career - he certainly has the talent.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Sweden have made five substitutions. How many are you allowed to make, for crying out loud?

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Ireland win 3-1, Molumby assisted the last two Irish goals. Big fixture for them at home to Italy next month.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
how many qualify from each group

Only one automatically (from each of the nine groups). Then the best runner-up from the groups, and then the other 8 runners-up play-off (for 4 more places), making 14 qualifying slots available (to join the joint hosts, Hungary and Slovenia).

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Are we assuming neither of them has dual nationality, or are we saying nobody's going to spurn a place in the Republic's senior team for the remote possibility of a future England call-up? I'm thinking of Lawro here...

Connolly was born in Galway

Molumby was born in Cappoquinn - a village in Co. Waterford.

There is going to be no Declan Rice here - who cried (with happiness he claimed) when he was first capped for Ireland, sent out daft tweets praising the IRA and then conveniently forgot that he had three full international caps when crying about how he was always committed to playing for England. Now - I don't have a problem with anyone switching allegiance (although he should have done it before his full caps) for genuine reasons (e.g. family) - but it is clear that Rice's switch was based on money and potential earnings and he should be honest about that. The switch only happened when he started to be linked with Man Utd and other big clubs.

Of the U21s who beat Sweden last night - only Conor Coventry of West Ham was born outside of Ireland (in London) and I doubt we will see any issue about allegiance from him. Of the other young players Luca Connell was born in Liverpool and plays for Celtic - he has already been called up to the full squad. Josh Cullen, who played last night for the senior team (and was man of the match) originally played under age for England, but has been with the Irish set-up for the past six years. Kieran O'Hara (who also played last night for the senior team) is on loan at Burton from Man U - born in Manchester, but there has never been any rumblings about him switching to England.

Some African countries have made inquiries about Idah, Bazunu, Obafemi and Afolabi but there are no indications any of them plan on changing. Ali Reghba who recently joined Leicester from Bohemians was born in Germany of an Algerian father and Irish mother - he has lived in Ireland since he was 6 - again all the indications are he is committed to Ireland.

There is a long list of very promising Irish players coming through the underage set-up - far more than there has been for the last 10+ years - not all will make it - but potentially the Irish senior team could be in a similar place to England in terms of the the impact of young players in a couple of years time.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Im surprised Champ clubs are after him already, but that may be in response to the flop that was Towell for us at that level after being the LoI standout player for Dundalk. But fair play to the lad, I think he’s probably got the talent to succeed. Do you know which clubs have been rumoured to be interested?
Bohs played Chelsea in a pre-season (for Chelsea) friendly in July and Mandroiu was the outstanding player on the pitch that night (from both teams). I think it is Sheff Wed and Fulham that he have been linked with. Getting a player from a LoI club for less than six figures is a good investment for any championship side. Most LoI players are on 1 or 2 year contracts - and clubs will sell a player when they get any kind of a decent offer.

Let’s hope we have a nice sell-on clause.
There could well be - he was transferred to Bohs. He did sign a contract extension at Bohs in June so they are expecting they can cash in on him at some stage.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Sure, but I was wondering if they might have English parents or grandparents, or have the ancestry rules been tightened up?

Very unlikely - most emigration was one-way - to England. My great-grandmother was English (a Ramsey from Liverpool) but she was the only English born ancestor I have going back four generations. My wife's mother was English - but became a staunch Irish Catholic nationalist when she moved to Ireland in the 1950s. I don't recall any incident of any Irish born child of an English born-person - in sport, not declaring for Ireland.

The English FA are just as prone to poach players from other countries as Ireland - and every other country as well. The French and Dutch are particularly notorious for it.

Gulliver

Nov 21, 2015
Rumour

Sure, but I was wondering if they might have English parents or grandparents, or have the ancestry rules been tightened up?
Connolly's Mother is Englush,born in Birmingham. FAI I'm guessing are trying to keep this a secret but once it breaks he'll be good enough for the Senior side regardless of minutes at club!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here