Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Surprised by the club today (Womens football related)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Martin Samuel's column today:

"There was a lot of fuss about the crowd at Stamford Bridge to watch Chelsea's women play Tottenham on Sunday but to give away 40,000 tickets and have only 24,564 turn up does not seem the greatest leap forward.

More impressive, surely, was the 3,041 who made the trip to Ashton Gate, and paid, to watch Bristol City's match with Brighton. This was roughly six times the average crowd of last season and, as paying customers, the beginning of a committed fanbase.

Some of the larger attendances may look impressive, but free admission is no indication of a sport's popularity or growth. At Bristol, where the match was linked to wider promotions including the opportunity to stay on and watch England's European Championship qualifier with Bulgaria, the increased interest was tangible. This seems a more sustainable development for the women's game than just giving it away".

Tough to disagree.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
What a nice touch by the club. Hopefully you remembered to offer Emily and Victoria a cuppa!

I would've done if I hadn't been so shocked!! I'm surprised I managed to string more than 2 words together. ;)

Thanks for posting the link to the club article. I was going to do it but then wasn't sure what the responses would be...

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Great feature, I enjoy your posts and updates, you are the A-Z of Brighton and Hove women's football (see A-Z Gull and Fan of Albion Youth@SeagullsAcademy)

Thanks, though not sure I'm quite that knowledgeable :)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Opened the door this evening to discover two players (Emily Simpkins and Victoria Williams) on my doorstep with the club photographer and a cameraman to present me with my season ticket...

Typical Barber - scrimping on postage. :rant:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Please stop objectifying women you creeps, how would your wives/girlfriends feel to see you on here lusting after women 20 years younger than you. FFS, grow up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here