Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Happy 25th!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Never a big fan, but having watched Supersonic I can see that in a "right time, right place" kind of way it must've been quite exciting when they first came along if you were into that kind of thing.

Comparisons to The Beatles are obviously ludicrous. Oasis are the World's greatest ever pub band. I mean that as both a compliment and a slight.

Always thought that at their best they were a great Beatles Tribute band and the rest of the time they were an average Slade Tribute band...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This thread however is clearly about their first album which was - and still is - an excellent listen.

Yes and no for me. Some of the songwriting is strong, but the playing is pretty poor - the drumming inexcusably so at points. Noel’s songwriting and Liam’s voice pull through a pretty mediocre band IMO.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I remember watching an interview with Noel Gallagher and he stated, quite matter of fact, that Live Forever always feature in those 500 Greatest Songs of All Time lists.

I'd be f**king arrogant too.

Love the album. I'm one of those who loved Be Here Now as well. Though looking back now it's a bit of a shitshow.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
In fairness, that happens to every rock act (unless they die).

You must really object to The Who and their "Hope I die before I get old" line.

I don't object to any one getting older and singing if people like it they will buy it. What I do object to is these little pr!cks slagging everyone off who came before them as "has beens". Ironically they are now the ages of those stars they slatted and continuing to try to make music, so have morphed in to what they despised.

Also the whole "Cool Britannia" and sucking up to Tony Blair was cringe worthy

In general I dislike anyone who slates other people of in order to make themselves look better. If they were as good as their ego led them to believe it would have not been necessary.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I don't object to any one getting older and singing if people like it they will buy it. What I do object to is these little pr!cks slagging everyone off who came before them as "has beens". Ironically they are now the ages of those stars they slatted and continuing to try to make music, so have morphed in to what they despised.

In general I dislike anyone who slates other people of in order to make themselves look better. If they were as good as their ego led them to believe it would have not been necessary.

Jeez, what does your first paragraph have to do with definitely maybe?

Second paragraph: ditto.

Third paragraph: Again, ditto. But...Biggest selling debut album of all time(up to that point), fifth biggest selling album in British history(two of the albums above it are greatest hits...), the fastest selling album in British history and the biggest gigs in British history up to that point with the highest demand for tickets ever in British history. All that was achieved in the space of three years. So, they were pretty much as good as their ego suggested or at the very least as successful as their ego suggested.

However, this thread wasn't started to talk about their career or their personalities, it was started to highlight that one of the great albums in British history was 25 years old yesterday.

It is a great album. It was a game changer. It did define the era(along with it's younger brother...).

And it will...

:cheers::kiss::rave:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

More of a Blur man then? :laugh:

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I was very excited to buy their first album and me and mates all had it and listened on repeat. Live forever was a choon and we all sang along drunkenly like we owned it and it was about us.

I don't think it has aged well. maybe I havent either!

In fact I cant hit the channel button quick enough now when anything Oasis pops up, perhaps just all over played (although still love Toto Africa and Stranglers Golden Brown which are also played on loop)

SAC

May 21, 2014
Definitely Maybe remains one of my favourite LPs and it helped me learn how to spell definitely, although spell-check helps.

Oasis show that you can be a **** and brilliant. Two of my favourite bands, The Small Faces and The Kinks were probably fronted by twats (although I met Ray Davies and he was actually pretty cool). Both brilliant bands. And all of their heads, coincidentally?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Can’t stand them. Arrogant tw@ts with a nasally voices, very overrated, because they swear and slag off anyone more successful then them. Ironically they have turned it to what they despised, middle age singers and are now played on radio 2.

In a Manchester nasal whine:
Know what I mean?

Brilliant Album and for me it was down hill from here with a few notable exceptions.
Don't understand the need for people to slag them off either musically nor as people. If you don't like them don't get involved in the thread.
The reason is demonstrably clear on this thread. They came from Manchester, not Moulsecoomb (or elsewhere in Sussex) - if they'd been born in the right place they might have been gods on NSC!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Yes and no for me. Some of the songwriting is strong, but the playing is pretty poor - the drumming inexcusably so at points. Noel’s songwriting and Liam’s voice pull through a pretty mediocre band IMO.

Noel can certainly bust a catchy tune but the lyrics Oasis knocked out are around secondary school level with some primary level stuff thrown in too. Not that their fans would care.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here