Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] ski holiday advice for old git with delusions of vigour

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Thanks for the brilliant replies. Lots of suggestions to explore.

As [MENTION=30176]Diablo[/MENTION] suspects, and [MENTION=750]swindonseagull[/MENTION] knows, I'm no yoof (61 now). My last outing was Courcheval, 3 years ago, before my last knee op. I was able to manage reds, nay bother, but the right knee is arthritic and, now, thanks to a Zlatan Ibrahimovich style episode on Rye Harbour shingle 2 years ago, the ACL is as loose as Joan Collins, and although I can cycle, trot up the escalator al London Bridge two at a time and even still run a bit, I suspect the knee overall is about as stable some of the NSC posters I have on ignore. This may therefore be my last venture up the slopes, and I want it to be memorable for the right reasons, even if I have to retire to the chalet for much of the week.

Cheers,
HWT

You are one year younger than me. I didn`t go last year, first miss for many years due to knee prob. resolved now, but doubt I`ll ski again. But may go to enjoy ambience and restaurants. (may ski)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Thanks for the brilliant replies. Lots of suggestions to explore.

As @Diablo suspects, and @swindonseagull knows, I'm no yoof (61 now). My last outing was Courcheval, 3 years ago, before my last knee op. I was able to manage reds, nay bother, but the right knee is arthritic and, now, thanks to a Zlatan Ibrahimovich style episode on Rye Harbour shingle 2 years ago, the ACL is as loose as Joan Collins, and although I can cycle, trot up the escalator al London Bridge two at a time and even still run a bit, I suspect the knee overall is about as stable some of the NSC posters I have on ignore. This may therefore be my last venture up the slopes, and I want it to be memorable for the right reasons, even if I have to retire to the chalet for much of the week.

Cheers,
HWT

And get yourself one (or a pair) of these. Have kept me on blacks and off piste till 59

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Support-Bilateral-Stability-Prevention-Compression/dp/B07KQ8KXW1/ref=asc_df_B07KQ8KXW1/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310705025920&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3198988877825072429&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006812&hvtargid=pla-665413657863&psc=1

And Courchevel has this :wink:

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Brill - thanks - just ordered one.

Yes, I've skied down most (if not all) of that. :thumbsup:

Tempted to go back again to the familiar.....Hmmmm :O

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
love Austria - in fact here is the view of St Anton from my hotel room...right now! Imagine that covered in snow!

Soëlden is a good bet - high up two major lifts up to skiing areas - free buses to Hochgurgel/Obergurgel but cheaper and has more restaurants etc
View attachment 114741

I would imagine that view to be heavenly, especially in the last two winters, where Austria had metres and metres of the white fluffy stuff.

I’ve had great ski holidays in St Anton, Obergurgl and Hochgurgl.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Booked in here:

https://www.inghams.co.uk/ski-holid...i-area/st-christoph/chalet-hotel-st-christoph

Knee support arrived in the post yesterday. If you see no posts from me after mid Jan, you'll know I succombed, yet again, to the lure of a cheeky black that was one step beyond :lolol:

Thanks for the tips, folks. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I stayed there a couple of years ago. Ski in/out is a really nice feature. Easy access to St Anton and Lech/Zurs either skiing or bus (you have to pay for Lech/Zurs but it’s quicker).Don’t miss out on going up the Valluga for the views. They are also currently rebuilding the rickety lift to the top of the long run 100 that starts you off on the ski to Zurs - replacing the 3 person chairs with a gondola so that will be more comfortable.
The hotel (when we stayed at least) was completely taken over by Inghams so it is all run by their reps - makes everything easy eg all English speaking but loses a little of the charm. Nevertheless the food was pretty good, rooms were fine and the hotel has a bigger than average pool.
St Christoph is small and quiet - 15min bus ride to St Anton - Hospiz Alm is a really nice restaurant close to the hotel. Enjoy yourself! PS th le Maiensee lift area used to be a dynamite factory so watch where you ski :)

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
An appeal to the hive mind of NSC.....

I want a catered chalet (always comedy gold) for an experienced (but aged) skiier, travelling alone, either in the first week of Jan or late March.

I've been to a few places in France (I like), but am tempted by some pals' recommendation for Austria (never been).

I've been trawling the Crystal site but I could be there for weeks...

Budget? Well I have all my own kit so a grand would be nice.

Tips on good resorts appreciated.

Having been just about everywhere in Europe and stateside, Austria is bar far my favourite place, all the charm missing from many purpose built french resorts, gorgeous tree lined runs, it's stunning albeit not often as snow sure.

I love Kitzbuhel, but to be a bit savvier have a look at Kirchberg, it's a couple of KM away, on the Kitzbuhel mountain area lift system/pass but also a short ten minute bus ride away from the Ki-west gondola that will take you into the massive Ski Welt area of Soll Elmau also, combined pass is only fractionally more expensive and you have a massive, stunning area.

Kirchberg also has a fantastic twisty 3-4km floodlit night toboggan circuit through the trees, with a good few bars from top to bottom, by the second run you'll be well and truly drunk driving!

[URL="htt

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I stayed there a couple of years ago. Ski in/out is a really nice feature. Easy access to St Anton and Lech/Zurs either skiing or bus (you have to pay for Lech/Zurs but it’s quicker).Don’t miss out on going up the Valluga for the views. They are also currently rebuilding the rickety lift to the top of the long run 100 that starts you off on the ski to Zurs - replacing the 3 person chairs with a gondola so that will be more comfortable.
The hotel (when we stayed at least) was completely taken over by Inghams so it is all run by their reps - makes everything easy eg all English speaking but loses a little of the charm. Nevertheless the food was pretty good, rooms were fine and the hotel has a bigger than average pool.
St Christoph is small and quiet - 15min bus ride to St Anton - Hospiz Alm is a really nice restaurant close to the hotel. Enjoy yourself! PS th le Maiensee lift area used to be a dynamite factory so watch where you ski :)

We stayed in the very same hotel last New Year (already had pm's with @HWT). A great ski holiday. With my kids, one day we skied the recent and long link to Zurs. A decent English chalet-hotel (not an Austrian in sight). Bitterly cold skiing at that time of year at that altitude, but we wore all the layers and often stopped for hot chocolates etc in mountain restaurants.

On blizzard days, we got the excellent public bus to stunning Lech (the choice of rich Europeans), just 10 or 15 minutes away, where there was quality skiing below the tree line around Oberlech.

AndyH

Mar 10, 2012
Another vote for Solden from me. Great ski area with two glaciers. Much prefer it to the more well known (with the Brits) resort of Obergurgl. Food prices, even on the mountain, are very reasonable. Not sure about Chalets but plenty of other accommodation. Also easy to drive to if you are up for that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Cheers!

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Having been just about everywhere in Europe and stateside, Austria is bar far my favourite place, all the charm missing from many purpose built french resorts, gorgeous tree lined runs, it's stunning albeit not often as snow sure.

I love Kitzbuhel, but to be a bit savvier have a look at Kirchberg, it's a couple of KM away, on the Kitzbuhel mountain area lift system/pass but also a short ten minute bus ride away from the Ki-west gondola that will take you into the massive Ski Welt area of Soll Elmau also, combined pass is only fractionally more expensive and you have a massive, stunning area.

Kirchberg also has a fantastic twisty 3-4km floodlit night toboggan circuit through the trees, with a good few bars from top to bottom, by the second run you'll be well and truly drunk driving!

[URL="htt

Went to Kirchberg in February. Great skiing but really disappointed with the town itself and the lack of good restaurants to try out in the evening. Agree Soll/Ellmau ski welt is superb as is Solden & Zell am See ( yes i'm an Austria lover for skiing ) Trying Garmich next year further up the valley from Seefeld ( nice village ). Anyone been there ??

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
HWT this thread needs a poll

:dunce:

t.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports