Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Our next prime minister BBC 1

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So, not quite your story of calling the guardian right after notifying the Police.

not my story, reports friday morning. im not implying they got on the phone immediatly after hung up to 999. the witness themselves said they wanted everyone to know.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Carrie isn't Boris's wife. He's still in the process of a very mess divorce from his wife. If he does marry Carrie, she will be his third wife.

I'm aware it's only a " relationship " TB, Just wondering what people would think if this happened at No.10 on a Thursday night in the near future.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Why do the rank and file members get to chose the leader as they have no idea of what each does in the house? I that it should continue as in previous rounds

???

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Why do the rank and file members get to chose the leader as they have no idea of what each does in the house? I that it should continue as in previous rounds

I'd argue the other way around. Why do the MP's get such an influence? Some of them will be relatively new members of the party, whereas there will be some long-term servants who do not currently sit in the house. Also, why do they get a secret ballot? Any time voting is restricted to a small amount of people, due to their status as elected representatives, then their votes should be public and they should have to justify them.

I suppose you could argue that MP's could make sensible decisions to ensure that the rank and file aren't given the chance to elect some sort of nonsense, unscrupulous, populist who is unfit to lead the...ah hang on.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
not my story, reports friday morning. im not implying they got on the phone immediatly after hung up to 999. the witness themselves said they wanted everyone to know.

My bad, didn't see your quotation marks confirming you had been directly quoting someone else rather than putting it in your own words and then expressing an opinion on the type of people that would do that!!

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Thanks for proving my point.

does it really? seem to want to overlook this isnt typical behaviour.

and for context, i know Camberwell, no recordings or witness if someones is stabbed, no one sees or hears anything.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'd argue the other way around. Why do the MP's get such an influence? Some of them will be relatively new members of the party, whereas there will be some long-term servants who do not currently sit in the house. Also, why do they get a secret ballot? Any time voting is restricted to a small amount of people, due to their status as elected representatives, then their votes should be public and they should have to justify them.

I suppose you could argue that MP's could make sensible decisions to ensure that the rank and file aren't given the chance to elect some sort of nonsense, unscrupulous, populist who is unfit to lead the...ah hang on.

Agree with you about a secret ballot. Also, I understand the reason why rank and file vote on the final say, almost the same as Labour where all members get a vote. However, as the tories let the parliamentary party select the final two then, in view of the manipulation of the system by Johnson and Williamson then a better way is that you vote for one candidate and only get to vote in the next round if your choice is eliminated. That way Johnson could not 'lend' candidates votes to eliminate ones he feared (or just didn't like!). Alternatively, just have one ballot but voters have a 2nd and 3rd transferable vote.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Aside from the depressing analysis of England's chances of reaching the cricket world cup semi final in the sport section, The Sunday Times was a most interesting read in the pub earlier:

Chief Whip Julian Smith has advised Johnson's camp that his premiership will last just one day as sufficient Tory MP's will back the no confidence motion in him when made.
Tory MP's are writing to Theresa May telling her she that upon resigning to The Queen she can't possibly advise Her Majesty to invite Johnson to be her next PM for that reason.
Support for Scottish independence leaps to 53% in favour if Johnson becomes PM and he's rated as less popular in Scotland than Nigel Farage.
The USA think they've got us in the bag for us to join them to attack Iran when John Bolton gets President Trump to shout 'Fire!'.
Before walking to the pub though/in Hastings town centre earlier I passed a man wearing white/Head/tennis trainers, white socks pulled half way up his shin, brown/beige shorts on down to just above his knee, a baseball cap on, nerdy glasses on with milk bottle bottom thick lenses, a smug nerdy grin on his face and a white golf T-Shirt on complete with embroidered logo, that upon passing I saw was a Crystal Palace club badge. :ffsparr:

What an utter ****show this country is.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Chief Whip Julian Smith has advised Johnson's camp that his premiership will last just one day as sufficient Tory MP's will back the no confidence motion in him when made.
Tory MP's are writing to Theresa May telling her she that upon resigning to The Queen she can't possibly advise Her Majesty to invite Johnson to be her next PM for that reason.

seems unlikely the party MPs wouldnt back the man their membership just voted for, no matter how much they dislike them. a snub to their own members and just leads to GE which isnt in their favour.

and yes the number of Palace shirts in Sussex is a sad state of affairs.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
seems unlikely the party MPs wouldnt back the man their membership just voted for, no matter how much they dislike them. a snub to their own members and just leads to GE which isnt in their favour.

and yes the number of Palace shirts in Sussex is a sad state of affairs.

Agree with all of the above, read that article too, not good reading...
[MENTION=599]beorhthelm[/MENTION] - I'm not going to argue against the reporting of The Sunday Times on politics and on this matter. Julian Smith's name, and therefore his reputation as Chief Whip, featured prominently as you yourself read. Logic though, as you suggest, I'm afraid no longer exists in British politics. [MENTION=534]Chicken Run[/MENTION] - Politically/Brexit you and me are on opposite sides of the fence, but I feel we're feeling both somewhat done for as things stand in this shower. As I recall you served in the Navy, didn't you? 'Those in peril on the sea' springs to mind now, whatever your current political persuasion.

Have a good evening both of you.

Kind Regards

MOS

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

On the other hand, the £3 Labour riff-raff voted Corbyn as leader.... Hmm , now was that a good result for anybody except the far left?
Looks like a lose lose scenario all round, whatever way the 'choosing' is done.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Agree with you about a secret ballot. Also, I understand the reason why rank and file vote on the final say, almost the same as Labour where all members get a vote. However, as the tories let the parliamentary party select the final two then, in view of the manipulation of the system by Johnson and Williamson then a better way is that you vote for one candidate and only get to vote in the next round if your choice is eliminated. That way Johnson could not 'lend' candidates votes to eliminate ones he feared (or just didn't like!). Alternatively, just have one ballot but voters have a 2nd and 3rd transferable vote.

A different view. The parliamentary party have to vote this way so that one of the final two has more than half the party's support. Without this they might end up with a leader who has the support of only a minority of the parliamentary party, and there would be cries of 'Split! Split!' in the media (albeit, historically this only applies to the labour party.....). I am assuming here that the tory membership will deliver a majority in support of the MP with more than 50% of the parliamentary party in support (i.e., Boris).

As for secret ballot or not, frankly it is their business how they do it. Yes of course it means we get a new MP who may not be supported by the nation, but them's the rules.

However, because of this, it could be argued that if a sitting PM resigns or is ousted as party leader by their own MPs then a general election should be called immediately, and held immediately after the party of government has elected (nominated, fiddled, whatever) a new party leader.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A different view. The parliamentary party have to vote this way so that one of the final two has more than half the party's support. Without this they might end up with a leader who has the support of only a minority of the parliamentary party, and there would be cries of 'Split! Split!' in the media (albeit, historically this only applies to the labour party.....). I am assuming here that the tory membership will deliver a majority in support of the MP with more than 50% of the parliamentary party in support (i.e., Boris).

As for secret ballot or not, frankly it is their business how they do it. Yes of course it means we get a new MP who may not be supported by the nation, but them's the rules.

However, because of this, it could be argued that if a sitting PM resigns or is ousted as party leader by their own MPs then a general election should be called immediately, and held immediately after the party of government has elected (nominated, fiffles, whatever) a new party leader.

This, the choice is whittled down to the 2 who will command the support of the parliamentary MP's and that is then put to the members.

Great idea in practice but in reality the last two leadership elections produced May v Leadsome and Johnson v Hunt , it's a bit like finding someone has brought a tub of Quality Street in to work on your day off and, by the time you arrive next day, all that is left is the Toffee Fingers and the Toffee Pennys,

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This, the choice is whittled down to the 2 who will command the support of the parliamentary MP's and that is then put to the members.

Great idea in practice but in reality the last two leadership elections produced May v Leadsome and Johnson v Hunt , it's a bit like finding someone has brought a tub of Quality Street in to work on your day off and, by the time you arrive next day, all that is left is the Toffee Fingers and the Toffee Pennys,

Indeed. But remember, you are, I am fairly confident, neither a tory MP nor a tory party member. To them, I suspect they feel they have whittled it down to the mordern day's Churchill versus MacMillan.

(And to me, every last offering in a tub of Quality Street is a small lump of saccharine poo. Which is why, in actual fact, I like your analogy between said comestibles and the blue nitwits :lolol:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here