Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Penalty taker

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The last one l can remember Glenn hitting with any real venom sailed over the bar gainst Burnley last season. He just isn't a smack it type player, that applies to nearly all of his outfield goals too. The vast majority being scored from inside the 18 yard box.

Thought have gave the one against Fulham a decent thump to be honest and correct.....not sure he scored any from outside the box last season, and barely any the season before ? Recall maybe one against Villa (?) perhaps.........

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Ah didn't see that......not had time to watch it back yet......any analysis of theirs ? Looked as though Ryan feignted slightly one way to make Ings go the other way, but as a result of the 'twitch' couldn't reach it........(and it was well placed anyway)

Duffy ruined any chance Ryan had of saving their penalty. He pointed to him to dive left and by the time he had moved left it gave him not enough time to dive right far enough to save it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Even if he does l'd hand the ball to Glenn, (providing he wants it). Although he was successful with two out of his three spot kicks l was never confident that Pascale was going to score from any of them.
Hate to bounce my post and say l told you so . . . but . . .
What? Nothing from your post is relevant to last night's game.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
People obsess about Hemed being so amazing at pens compared to Glenn but fact is, in Glenn's second spell at the club this is the 3rd season and he has 2 misses to his name, the same amount of misses as Hemed. I don't know how many Hemed scored
A lot. I always felt confident we'd score when Hemed stepped up, he was a machine.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And yet if he'd not missed with a woeful penalty at Wolves we'd have 3 points and gone up automatically a year earlier.
That was in the first half, away from home right? No guarantee that we'd have held on for the win, and no guarantee we'd have finished top two even if we had. And so what he missed that penalty? He scored loads for us, and always looked like scoring them. He has the best record of any of our penalty takers.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I made the point in my first post that Glenn should resume penalty taking duties, and fortunately, in last night's case anyway, he did.
You said that if Gross was playing, you'd still give the ball to Glenn, as you weren't confident with Gross. Gross wasn't playing, so obviously Glenn was going to take it, who the **** else would?

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
That was in the first half, away from home right? No guarantee that we'd have held on for the win, and no guarantee we'd have finished top two even if we had. And so what he missed that penalty? He scored loads for us, and always looked like scoring them. He has the best record of any of our penalty takers.
I'm just saying, he does miss pens. Because he does a little stutter to try and make the keeper go the wrong way it's called a great pen. Yet when Murray does it and puts it down the middle he's criticised. It's very bloody odd. I think Murray has double figures in pens for us now second time round- that'll do me!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm just saying, he does miss pens.
We know, everyone misses the odd one (if they take enough).
Because he does a little stutter to try and make the keeper go the wrong way it's called a great pen. Yet when Murray does it and puts it down the middle he's criticised.
No, not at all. I praise Hemed because he has the best record of any of our penalty takers, ever, as far as I remember, and also because he looked in control and never looked like missing. I wouldn't criticise Murray for putting it down the middle yesterday (not sure who has), he did a good job and rescued a point for us - but not all of his penalties have gone so well, and he's not looked as good at them as Tomer.

It's very bloody odd. I think Murray has double figures in pens for us now second time round- that'll do me!!
But Hemed was even better. It's odd that you can't appreciate that.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
We know, everyone misses the odd one (if they take enough).
No, not at all. I praise Hemed because he has the best record of any of our penalty takers, ever, as far as I remember, and also because he looked in control and never looked like missing. I wouldn't criticise Murray for putting it down the middle yesterday (not sure who has), he did a good job and rescued a point for us - but not all of his penalties have gone so well, and he's not looked as good at them as Tomer.

But Hemed was even better. It's odd that you can't appreciate that.
I do. Hemed was quality at pens. But people need to get over that, realise that he wasn't perfect, and accept that 10/12 pens from Glenn is a very decent return.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
You said that if Gross was playing, you'd still give the ball to Glenn, as you weren't confident with Gross. Gross wasn't playing, so obviously Glenn was going to take it, who the **** else would?

He was the obvious choice yes, but who knows, on the night maybe someone else could have fancied it.

Do you enjoy criticizing other peoples comments? you certainly seem to make a habit of it.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The last one l can remember Glenn hitting with any real venom sailed over the bar gainst Burnley last season. He just isn't a smack it type player, that applies to nearly all of his outfield goals too. The vast majority being scored from inside the 18 yard box.

A good penalty taker doesn't smack it. they place it in the bottom corner.

David Unsworth was a left back who scored bucket loads of penalties for Everton.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Not sure it adds anything to the debate, but it looks like Premier League penalty percentages are:

Scored: 83.43%
Missed: 3.97%
Saved: 12.60%

Source: http://www.myfootballfacts.com/Premier_League_Penalty_Statistics.html

If Glenn is 10/12 it puts him bang on the average.

Not sure where 10/12 came from, Glenn has scored a total of seven premier league penalties and has missed/had saved four.

In his time at Palace, in all competitions, he scored 6 and missed 5, which is well below average.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here