Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Jenkinson's, 1980s bar

tonyt

Feb 23, 2009
Gosh I remember it well!
I think I was at all of those!
I seem to remember U2 playing there as well?

boik

Comsat angets, U2, Spizz, Ten Pole Tudor, Echo and the Bunnymen.....that was all at Jenkinsons' right? I always recall it as the Top Rank, but strictly speaking that was round the back and underneath (Clash, Stranglers, and the venue for the pootly attended 'rock disco' in the mid 70s2) right?

Hey, were you there the night Spizz decided to play all of their songs in a reggae stylee? That was surreal, but then you never knew what you were going to get with Spizz.

tonyt

Feb 23, 2009
I do remember Athletico Spizz 80 playing at the Top Rank ( now that really was a great live music venue!)
I was working at the Old Ship Hotel at the time and the band we’re staying there that night, I was completely star struck!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hey, were you there the night Spizz decided to play all of their songs in a reggae stylee? That was surreal, but then you never knew what you were going to get with Spizz.

I only saw Spizz once, there, and I don't recall it being weird like that...that said some of their songs are cod reggae stylee anyway. I remembering them doing this classic. Makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.....:cheers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azfXnLrRqJc

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I do remember Athletico Spizz 80 playing at the Top Rank ( now that really was a great live music venue!)
I was working at the Old Ship Hotel at the time and the band we’re staying there that night, I was completely star struck!

Still Spizz Energi in 78. They may well have played there again.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I believe Aswad played there before they had their chart success.
Some of the 2Tone bands played the Top Rank, I couldn't get in as a 15 year old, very strick on the door.

I believe the Aswad lead singer lived in Worthing.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I used to live upstairs at 76a, good times and good vibes from King Tafari. :thumbsup::rave:

If that was Marine Parade, yeah, fabulous nights we did there.
We were initially paid to do parties there by the landlord to get some old woman tenant out of the place. Paid, and money on the door we took it, but the old lady was a dear old girl, so we said to her that we were going to do some parties there, and we would put her up in a hotel when we played. She responded as I would expect my mother would have done. No dear, you go ahead, its lovely to hear young people enjoying themselves, we got her chocolates, cakes and flowers each morning after we finished. The British Legion hated us with a passion, and a lot of racism was bandied around about it. My mother was a British Legion member and gave a few a tongue lashing over their racism haha.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I must be of a different generation but I saw Freddie & The Dreamers, The Fortunes and other 60's has beens in the late 70's.

Same here. Jenkinsons for me was Jim Davidson, Searchers Freddie and the Dreamers. Don’t remember any top bands there in the 70’s

The bands most people on this thread are talking about played on a Sunday evening, I believe Jenkinsons attracted a totally different crowd on a Friday and Saturday.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here