Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
How’s the toe by the way? You were struggling a bit around Xmas time if I remember correctly.

Fine now thanks mate! It *could* have been gout but a blood test came back inconclusive and it's not flared up again.

Assuming today was cramp - exactly what I got last year in the same race so probable - I will be back pounding the pavements on Tuesday in the search for a sub-4.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fine now thanks mate! It *could* have been gout but a blood test came back inconclusive and it's not flared up again.

Good news it’s better and good news it’s probably not gout as you go balls deep with red wine and red meat again! :lolol:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Well done everyone today. Great fun watching in the sun but managed to fail to see anyone except [MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION] and@mr banana both of whom had run past me before I had a chance to shout hello.
Did manage a quick catch up with [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] being Mr Tufty seeing everyone safely across the road.
Looking forward to Hastings now.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well done everyone today. Great fun watching in the sun but managed to fail to see anyone except [MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION] and@mr banana both of whom had run past me before I had a chance to shout hello.
Did manage a quick catch up with [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] being Mr Tufty seeing everyone safely across the road.

After yesterday’s fine efforts I’m chomping at the bit for Hasting’s Half in 4 weeks. Will give it my best to take on you and [MENTION=11716]Penny[/MENTION]’s Harmonica and [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] if he’ll take an 11 minute handicap. An impressive field to come last in.

Anyone else for the “UK’s best atmosphere” Half?

Table changes after [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] checks in.

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
After yesterday’s fine efforts I’m chomping at the bit for Hasting’s Half in 4 weeks. Will give it my best to take on you and [MENTION=11716]Penny[/MENTION]’s Harmonica and [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] if he’ll take an 11 minute handicap. An impressive field to come last in.

Anyone else for the “UK’s best atmosphere” Half?

Table changes after [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] checks in.

Better get my update in quick then!

A six minute PB for me yesterday down to 1.39.26. Really pleased to have come in sub 1.40.00.

If this could be updated on the table along with my seasons best parkrun of 22.24 AG 60.94 that would be great :thumbsup:

Cheers!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Better get my update in quick then!

A six minute PB for me yesterday down to 1.39.26. Really pleased to have come in sub 1.40.00.

If this could be updated on the table along with my seasons best parkrun of 22.24 AG 60.94 that would be great :thumbsup:

Cheers!

That's phenomenal. You've only dropped Around 20 seconds a mile from your 5k pace. What's up next?

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
That's phenomenal. You've only dropped Around 20 seconds a mile from your 5k pace. What's up next?

Thanks Chaps :)

I think this just proves how one-paced I am. With some training I can go quite far at one pace!

My 5K PB has stood for nearly four years now, I think I really should be able to beat this so this is my immediate target. Training continues for the Brighton Marathon and then I'll change tack slightly and give the London to Brighton ride a go in June.

Second half of the year is clear at the moment, I'll see how I feel after all the above...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks Chaps :)

I think this just proves how one-paced I am. With some training I can go quite far at one pace!

My 5K PB has stood for nearly four years now, I think I really should be able to beat this so this is my immediate target. Training continues for the Brighton Marathon and then I'll change tack slightly and give the London to Brighton ride a go in June.

Second half of the year is clear at the moment, I'll see how I feel after all the above...

Once you’ve got over the post traumatic stress about crossing the Kingsway and after BM you should make the long journey from Hove Park to the Prom choosing a perfect day. Guaranteed a good time. Then go to Worthing and beat it.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

Ace seeing you, I was knackered at that point

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Hi guys, congrats to all Brighton Half runners! *MedalMonday* Also well done to all those that got out for runs this weekend.

I navigated a steady 22 miler safely yesterday at a comfortable effort. Now into the final 3 big weeks before a 3 week taper leading into Manchester.

I ended up running a Serpentine Running Club "Last Friday of the Month" 5K race in Hyde Park on Friday with a few work colleagues. Super happy to have gone sub 17 for the first time with a new PB of 16:55. The age grade was 81.6% but I'm not sure if their age grading is the same as parkrun (our NSC table)? - https://www.serpentine.org.uk/rdb/showrunner.php?id=46441

I'm feeling like all the hard work on this long training cycle is paying off. :) Just need to tick off the final few weeks and be ready to give it my best at Manchester.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Some great running at the weekend.....and fantastic weather in Sussex for it. I completely over-layered on Saturday, started in gloves and a base-layer, had to stop after a mile to get rid of both. Mostly very slow efforts, but well chuffed with my first 50 mile+ week for a while - and an easy few days now ahead of something new I'm trying out this Friday - a 6 hour track endurance race. Not setting any targets for distance as using it as a pacing/nutrition test for a longer event in April.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Enjoyed yesterdays Brighton Half, no pb but the aim is for a marathon pb in 2 weeks in Barcelona. Still pushed myself to try and get a pb but a combination of going to fast at the start, the hills at the start and the heat at the end meant i struggled the last few miles. Finished in 1-48-04 which is my second quickest! Great support from the locals, i was wearing my Brighton top and received lots of cheers and 'seagulls', which kept me going. Well done to everyone for yesterday, great running.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hi guys, congrats to all Brighton Half runners! *MedalMonday* Also well done to all those that got out for runs this weekend.

I navigated a steady 22 miler safely yesterday at a comfortable effort. Now into the final 3 big weeks before a 3 week taper leading into Manchester.

I ended up running a Serpentine Running Club "Last Friday of the Month" 5K race in Hyde Park on Friday with a few work colleagues. Super happy to have gone sub 17 for the first time with a new PB of 16:55. The age grade was 81.6% but I'm not sure if their age grading is the same as parkrun (our NSC table)? - https://www.serpentine.org.uk/rdb/showrunner.php?id=46441

I'm feeling like all the hard work on this long training cycle is paying off. :) Just need to tick off the final few weeks and be ready to give it my best at Manchester.

Excellent running. Sub 16:55 a month out of a marathon is stupendous. Can’t you support Palace?

I’ll look into the AG % later but it looks like you’re definitely in the 80% class. Congratulations.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Enjoyed yesterdays Brighton Half, no pb but the aim is for a marathon pb in 2 weeks in Barcelona. Still pushed myself to try and get a pb but a combination of going to fast at the start, the hills at the start and the heat at the end meant i struggled the last few miles. Finished in 1-48-04 which is my second quickest! Great support from the locals, i was wearing my Brighton top and received lots of cheers and 'seagulls', which kept me going. Well done to everyone for yesterday, great running.

Vault away kit? Or home with number 40 on? Both lined up very close to me at the start but couldn't quite keep up with either. I was wearing last season's home shorts and thought the cheers were for me until I noticed the two shirts a bit in front of me! :lolol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Flippin 'eck !

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Some phenomenal runs over the weekend – well done all. There was a little bit of me that wanted to be lining up on the seafront yesterday, but mainly after seeing the pictures of people who'd finished! I did my own trail half early doors as Moyleman is looming into view fairly quickly – one month today – and it was lovely conditions.

I'm being tempted by BM, but doing the closed road bike event, instead of on foot. Nice early start – dash back home and get back out to watch everyone putting in a shift. Sounds good to me (although I'll again probably wish I was doing it!).

As a slight aside, I'm closing in on 100 miles for the month – first time in over a year that's happened.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
After promising myself never ever going to attempt Brighton Marathon again, I've been following a training plan pretty well since Jan. Last one was 2015 and nowhere near the shape I was in then, but did the Richmond half last week in about 1:51 and then completed 17 miles on Saturday but was really suffering at the end. Got a 19 miler lined up for a couple of weeks then will decide I think!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here