Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I am back. it has been a decent cold spell but nothing unusual. This " beast from the east " in reality has been a " fluffy kitten in a pink coat " from the East. There is no or little snow tonight here. There is simply nothing coming down here. The BBC South East forecast for leaving work early and not travelling to work tomorrow is looking embarassing already. Thursday will have wet snow turning to rain and 10 c and normal by the weekend. Up North will be interesting but here ? no chance. Relying on random snow showers from the east is not going to work down here, not at this time of year. Nice thought but just accept it is not going to happen. Sorry

Welcome back.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Looks promising
66FFEB46-C2CA-45D1-AEB6-4DB26AAA2007.png

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The 1st blob will possibly slip to the South of Worthing, so Shoreham / Brighton area will be in the firing line.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I missed it, but there's a bit of lying snow on cars and the ground in East Worthing near the seafront.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Eased back off in Worthing, needs to snow at the current rate for about 12 hours to be measurable.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
in crawley and nothing, but brother 2 miles away has a white garden, whats going on, I have clear skies

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Thanks for that, am I right in thinking that steam engines had less problems ?

Well it's a different concept for steam trains as they push their way through under their steam, no need for electrical current to power the units. They use to just attached snow ploughs for heavy drifts, but even then it wasn't always enough. They also still suffered from the ice, slippage is a common problem across the board, though funnily enough the Underground has by and large solved this problem as well, by converted a couple of trains per stock to run in the open areas to drop a substance called Sandite which helps the wheels grip the rails better and avoid the dreaded 'flatted' wheels.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
fck all in newhaven clear skies

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box