Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby player ratings

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
No, it wasn't. It was a tactical mistake by Sami Hyypia. Just because a lightweight attack gave us a sort of dominance against Fulham (three missed chances and a goal), he must have thought it would work with Tex in place of Lualua. None of the supporters did. He seemed to have ignored the opposition. A manager/coach has to be a bit of a chess player (predicting the opposition moves).

I am coming around to the conclusion that Sami Hyypia is not experienced enough! He will have to learn what Gus Poyet learned as Assistant Manager in a few weeks now. It was though he didn't know how Derby would play.

Can't believe he hasn't done any research on Derby but for me we should have started with 2 holding players instead of 0 and if we were still0-0 after 60 minutes changed to a more attacking formation. It's basic stuff.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
I surmise he and the big H have had a difference of opinion. A Holla knows best and Sami hasn't got a clue kind of happening. Either that or the two dutch boys have indulged in a night or two of sweet leaf delight. Oh yeah baby.

Kosh

It is entirely my own belief and not something I have heard. But to me, it seems that we HAVE to pick Gardner, even though he is utter gash and JFC is automatic choice because he is 'the face' of the club.

How on earth they both start without fail, for every match, when centre mid is where we have the most available players. Holla, Ince, Toko, JFC, Gardner, McCourt, Tex.

Send Gardner back, drop JFC and give the lad a break - he will come good but he is being thrown to the wolves atm. Bring in come composure with Ince and vision and tenacity that we saw with Holla. Mix with some creativity of Paddy or Tex and its better than what we are doing atm.

It is sad that we are in this situation, I don't believe anyone wanted Sami to fail but it is clear that he isn't cut out for this management role. He shouldn't be humiliated with banners or abuse by us fans, he will be feeling embarrassed enough with his record and the way the team is failing atm and if he isn't, I hope he is being notified of the expectation by his superiors at the club. There is no sign of this turning round, he should go but who knows what happens next?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Stockdale 4: Not at fault for goals but distribution poor and let a regulation shot squirm through his legs that luckily diverted and hit the post.
Joe Bennett 3: Lack of pace means he gets beaten by wingers with ease.
Dunk 5: Regulation yellow card, and a few frantic clearances, Chris Martin showed his limitations.
Hughes 4: okay but he's no Upson
Bruno 5: Only one who looked committed, outjumped for third goal, sometimes popped up on the left wing.

JFC 3: Huffed and puffed, couple of terrible 30 yard square balls that went straight to Derby players and nearly resulted in further goals.
March 4: One good dribble, needs to get match fit.
Texiera 2: Withdrawn after 25 minutes for being lightweight and anonymous.
Gardner 1: Did less in 90 minutes than Texiera in 25.
E. Bennett 3: Sad to see a former favourite so lacking in confidence. Slow, indecisive and with the first touch of CMS.

Bent 5: Made good runs but no one had vision or ability to support or supply him.

Subs

Ince 6: Steadied the ship that had sunk.
Paddy 3: Even the Godfather of Flair caught the crapness bug.

Just got back. Fair assumption. Bruno looked keen, as did Ince, and Dunk tried. Bent was isolated but does look like he is putting in a shift. The other two in midfield Gardner and Caskey were non existent......time to leave them both out.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
It is entirely my own belief and not something I have heard. But to me, it seems that we HAVE to pick Gardner, even though he is utter gash and JFC is automatic choice because he is 'the face' of the club.

How on earth they both start without fail, for every match, when centre mid is where we have the most available players. Holla, Ince, Toko, JFC, Gardner, McCourt, Tex.

Send Gardner back, drop JFC and give the lad a break - he will come good but he is being thrown to the wolves atm. Bring in come composure with Ince and vision and tenacity that we saw with Holla. Mix with some creativity of Paddy or Tex and its better than what we are doing atm.

It is sad that we are in this situation, I don't believe anyone wanted Sami to fail but it is clear that he isn't cut out for this management role. He shouldn't be humiliated with banners or abuse by us fans, he will be feeling embarrassed enough with his record and the way the team is failing atm and if he isn't, I hope he is being notified of the expectation by his superiors at the club. There is no sign of this turning round, he should go but who knows what happens next?

I agree with all of the above, top, top post - it should never get personal. I'm saddened by our predicament, but he is picking the wrong team, shape etc. If he stays I sincerely hope we stuff Millwall out of sight. Tonight though, we're all low and the reason is that nagging doubt about where those next three points are coming from?!? Come on lads! and Sami too as one of my hero's Gerry Rafferty once said: "Get it right next time..."

Kosh

Kosh

KOSH!

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

The man who put the special in 'Special' in Special K - Kosh. Founder of the K Foundation for the lost and weary, bleary eyed legless and wasted loser emporium of blues.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Stockdale 4: Not at fault for goals but distribution poor and let a regulation shot squirm through his legs that luckily diverted and hit the post.
Joe Bennett 3: Lack of pace means he gets beaten by wingers with ease.
Dunk 5: Regulation yellow card, and a few frantic clearances, Chris Martin showed his limitations.
Hughes 4: okay but he's no Upson
Bruno 5: Only one who looked committed, outjumped for third goal, sometimes popped up on the left wing.

JFC 3: Huffed and puffed, couple of terrible 30 yard square balls that went straight to Derby players and nearly resulted in further goals.
March 4: One good dribble, needs to get match fit.
Texiera 2: Withdrawn after 25 minutes for being lightweight and anonymous.
Gardner 1: Did less in 90 minutes than Texiera in 25.
E. Bennett 3: Sad to see a former favourite so lacking in confidence. Slow, indecisive and with the first touch of CMS.

Bent 5: Made good runs but no one had vision or ability to support or supply him.

Subs

Ince 6: Steadied the ship that had sunk.
Paddy 3: Even the Godfather of Flair caught the crapness bug.

Yep - spot on.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Tactically inept. Defended too deep from the first minute but without the shape or discipline to prevent them walking through us and round us. I would go 4's across the board and that is borderline generous. If I had to single one player out performance-wise for relative praise I would give Rohan Ince a 5. Being hypercritical perhaps but I thought Dunk as supposedly "captain" was all at sea..... Give the armband to Bruno. Even on a bad day at the office he stood out as being the one who gives a damn.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Tactically inept. Defended too deep from the first minute but without the shape or discipline to prevent them walking through us and round us. I would go 4's across the board and that is borderline generous. If I had to single one player out performance-wise for relative praise I would give Rohan Ince a 5. Being hypercritical perhaps but I thought Dunk as supposedly "captain" was all at sea..... Give the armband to Bruno. Even on a bad day at the office he stood out as being the one who gives a damn.

I heard none of the game today as I was working so cannot comment but I must admit to being a tad surprised when Dunk was given the armband last game. There were a few candidates I would have put ahead of him - Bruno, Hughes or even Stockdale would be higher up on my list. Sure Dunk was honoured to be made captain and I am genuinely please for him, but that doesn't make it the right decision, not for a team that needs a leader.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I would have stuck a marker on Martin, a player who everything goes through in that Derby team.

Makes you wonder what the scouts are looking at when they assess the opposition.

Good point, Sami picks a team based on what he is being told, what are the scouts doing in their assessment, would appear our lacking is in areas other than on the pitch, the season is starting to turn nasty!! A loss to Millwall and we're really in trouble!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think it was tactical as we were overrun in midfield.

I was at a kids' bowling party with [MENTION=1663]Scoffers[/MENTION] and there was no 3G coverage. I managed to get the teams on my phone just as it started and showed my friend the selection with the comment "we've not bothered with a midfield again". The next time either of us were able to check up on events we were 3-0 down!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I was at a kids' bowling party with [MENTION=1663]Scoffers[/MENTION] and there was no 3G coverage. I managed to get the teams on my phone just as it started and showed my friend the selection with the comment "we've not bothered with a midfield again". The next time either of us were able to check up on events we were 3-0 down!

That's the problem. The players weren't any good yesterday. To my mind the only ones who could come out of the game without any real blame were Stockdale (who made one mistake but couldn't do anything about the goals and made a couple of very good saves in the second half), Hughes and Dunk (simply because they did all they could with no protection) and Ince (who made a real difference when he came on, although Derby did ease off too).

However, I don't blame the players. The problem yesterday was the team selection. We'll probably never know why Hyypia chose that team but I think every fan looking at the selection would have regarded it as an invitation to Derby to attack us. Why were Ince and/or Holla not in the starting 11? Why go to the league leaders with such an attacking team?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I think it was tactical as we were overrun in midfield.

Now there IS a surprise. I wonder if there was anyone who saw the starting 11 and was not concerned about our midfield.

Is Gardner's loan until January? If so, let's send him back rather than have to pick him every week.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I am one who is also mystified by JFC Playing each week but decided to watch him closely on the stream yesterday. To his credit he was trying to get hold of the ball and make things happen albeit there was the odd stray Hail Mary that nearly had us in trouble.

Early on he worked hard in front of the back four and later further forward in the hole. He was one who came out with a bit more credit in my view

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Couldn't agree more, perfectly put.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
I know football is about opinions, but it is a fact that midfield yesterday would never work against a team like Derby who would overrun us. We heard the team walking from the car and said 'why'. In the concourse before the game whilst watching Chelsea lose, the talk was 'why no defensive midfielder', so when maybe 100% of people at the game and many at home go 'why' then maybe this becomes a fact and not an opinion. Think is was proved by Ince coming on and getting mom and we looked a difference side. Derby are good, but we just gave them the game with an awful team selection. If Sami can't see the simple fact that is we need a defensive midfielder, then he has to go, fact !

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Had the tactics matched the team selection - ie. going forward from the off and playing "without fear" as Sammi had it.- then I would have understood it. But from the blow of the whistle the whole team moved backwards into a defensive formation. It made no sense whatsoever. We weren't pushed back by Derby. We moved back intentionally by instinct/planning. Surely Sammi can't have picked an offensive side then told them to soak up pressure and pick them off on the counter attack? To do that you would have selected at least one experienced holding midfielder. I can only think the players had no belief in what they had been told to do and simply tried to do what they thought was best.

Ralphingtonpuss

May 27, 2010
Nottingham
Very disappointing yesterday, we are poor in midfield and this just has a knock on effect upfront. One of the songs we didn't sing yesterday was score in a brothel, and at the moment we can't and probably won't!!!

Stockdale...Made a couple of good saves, never near any of the three goals that went in?? 4
Bennet...MIA for best part of the defending and his attacking game was very poor today. 3

Dunk...Score against would have been higher without him, he looks the only one out there to have the balls to tackle, well until Ince came on. 6

Hughes...Not Greer. 4

Bruno...Not his fault we're not moving forward as a team and showing any attacking intent when he is attacking down the right. Would have expected him to have lead the team vocally and encouraged players in GG absent, not happening yesterday though, poor attempt with Hughes on one of the goals, second I think. 5

Midfield...Apart from Ince who himself in the second half put our defence in trouble on more than one occasion, this unit are just not up to it at present!!! They appear weak in all areas and our defence and forwards are suffering for it!! 3

Ince...5

Tex....2

E.Bennet...Am I allowed to say still playing like he is waiting to move onto to better things, he doesn't appear to have progressed from his move? 3

Bent...Made some good runs, but any better for us at the mo than Baldock or CMS? Not sure? 5

Paddy...?? 3

Manager...Clueless? Picking wrong players? Picking wrong support staff? Playing a system that doesn't work with current players? Unable to see past his system or try something or someone different? These and I'm sure many other questions might get answered soon?? Who'd be a manager eh? 1

Fans...For traveling, singing, humour and having to put up with watching defensive football most of the game. 10

Ref...Just needed him to keep count of the potential score line 6

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here