Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Best old school pub in Brighton is...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Carpet that was laid when the boozer opened in 1865, a local at the bar that was born around the same time and a good old fashioned atmosphere. 'A proper pub' as i would call it.

Wheres your go to?

Carpet that was laid when the boozer was opened - check
A local at the bar that was born around the same time and a good old fashioned atmosphere - check (see photo attached)
A proper pub' as i would call it

Obviously the winner is the......

Attachments

• l.jpg
    l.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 169

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I'd put the Heart in Hand on the list for central Brighton old school pub. Maybe not the regular, but definitely has an old school feel about it.

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute
Does anyone remember The Race Hill? 40 years ago it was my local, the landlord didn't like his patrons very much, nor anyone else.

With his patrons he did have a point.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Does anyone remember The Race Hill? 40 years ago it was my local, the landlord didn't like his patrons very much, nor anyone else.

With his patrons he did have a point.

Not that long since it closed is it?

Speaking of Elm Grove the Wellington was always very LOCAL, is that still the case?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Not that long since it closed is it?

Speaking of Elm Grove the Wellington was always very LOCAL, is that still the case?

The Racecourse is now flats, I watched the infamous England Germany game in the world cup when Frank Lampard "scored" but it got ruled it out, very angry that day, I think I swore in front of my daughter for the first time that day.

The Wellington yes, I think last time I walked past, they still have a sign in the window advertising the fact the meat raffle is on Wednesdays, is that old school enough for you ?

Steve_PPP

Oct 24, 2017
Burgess Hill
Been a long time since I went there but the Basketmakers was good. The tennis ball shaped burgers were the best in Brighton, used to combine that with a few pints of Gales HSB (before they got bought by Fullers....)

Spent most of my drinking youth around Hanover.... The Dover Castle, Greys, Napier etc. Special mention to the Albion Inn on Albion Hill and the old barman Mick, used to be a regular in there due to them having two bar billards tables. Shame it closed, could walk in the door before the smoking ban and not see the far side of the pub!

London Unity was another good'un, where you could buy a Curly Wurly with your pint :clap:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Been going to that pub on and off for 30 years, it definitely suffered in the last few years, some of the people migrated from the Branch when it changed. It was one step off The Bat and Ball.
Went there recently after the refurb and although it’s opened up a bit it still retains a lot of character but not all the characters, thank God.

Really? How long have you been going there? And what's it like after the refurb?

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I'd put the Heart in Hand on the list for central Brighton old school pub. Maybe not the regular, but definitely has an old school feel about it.

Great Jukebox too :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here