Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neil Maupay - has he had the credit he deserves yet?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
He is a major upgrade on Locadia , might not be brilliant and misses a few sitters but work rate is phenomenal and will get a good dozen goals this season . Him and Connolly work well together but the great thing is we do have options which include Murray and Trossard.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I would like to see Murray and Connolly together as a partnership after Maupay's performance today. Nothing wrong in changing the forward line every now and again.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He doesn't look like a 20-goal a season striker, but I think he brings a lot more else to the game that earns him his spot. His energy and movement (I know someone else pointed to CMS, but it felt like CMS was running for running's sake, Maupay feels like his running has purpose - creating space, pressuring opposition, etc.).

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
He doesn't look like a 20-goal a season striker, but I think he brings a lot more else to the game that earns him his spot. His energy and movement (I know someone else pointed to CMS, but it felt like CMS was running for running's sake, Maupay feels like his running has purpose - creating space, pressuring opposition, etc.).

Way too much expectations if youre wanting 20 goals, Only Salah, mane, Aguero and Aubameyang hit 20 last season. The best a non top 6 striker did was Callum Wilson, with 14.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Way too much expectations if youre wanting 20 goals, Only Salah, mane, Aguero and Aubameyang hit 20 last season. The best a non top 6 striker did was Callum Wilson, with 14.

That's fair, but I don't expect him to be. It seems there are people who will judge forwards only on goals scored without appreciating what else they bring, and my comment was more, I suppose, if you judge him solely on goalscoring, then he won't fare well. But he brings a lot of other things.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Maupay didn't have his best day today but he takes up good positions and gets his shots away. He's also got a strike partner who's learning the ropes. Overall a good 3 months.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:shootself:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That welly WAY over the bar from about a yard out just before half time was shocking. Puts in a very good shift tho, even if his finishing isn't particularly clinical.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Apart from pace and maybe work rate Murray is better at everything else. I still think muzza has something to offer this season, he would be great playing alongside Connelly.

Murray is done as a starter, his role is now bench player. That said, Connolly and Maupay couldn't wish for a better tutor.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Premier League is a huge step up from the Championship remember. Will take time for him to fully adjust, and he's still improving (although Norwich's defence were Championship at best today). He's done very well overall so far imo - I'm sure he'll get better and better under GP

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Apart from pace and maybe work rate Murray is better at everything else. I still think muzza has something to offer this season, he would be great playing alongside Connelly.

I agree, and it would be good to see all the strikers play along side each other in certain scenarios.

AC learning guile and craft from GM is a given. . . Maupay is different. I'm still not convinced Maupay and Connolly are on the same wavelength as players. . . .whether they can tune in with each other remains to be seen. Certainly as of now, Maupay is still 'adapting' to PL life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here