Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glenn Murray ........... ????

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I’d have Ashley back in a hearbeat too.Cock up of not quite Murray to Palace proportions.

Yep. its been grim season after grim season at the Albion since Barnes left us. (although how he helped get Burnley relegated one year cheered me up)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We've a 19 year old striker currently training with the first team who was player of the year in the Prem League 2 last season.
Did we pay the going rate to find him ? Or was that just good scouting and development ?

Pleased you are so certain he’s the striker we need, I have seen too many false dawns with Albion’s vaunted young strikers (not one who has come to fruition) so I’ll reserve judgement until one actually makes it as an effective goal scorer. In the meantime it would be good to have one who has actually done it, Murray cannot be relied on forever.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yep. its been grim season after grim season at the Albion since Barnes left us. (although how he helped get Burnley relegated one year cheered me up)

Were you one of those fighting to drive him to Burnley? Sounds like you might have been.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The biggest mistake the club has made in the last 10 years wasn't getting forwards in, it's been letting them go.

Of course your favourite never had the;
right support
right tactics
right service
right formation

Where have we heard that before? :whistle:

There's always been something so very wrong with the club's forward purchasing, retention and training. They just don't seem to get it, despite being able to pooh out quality in just about every other position.

I don't just mean the Albion 1.2, I mean for ever.

There are probably more quality profitable centre backs at the club right now than its had centre forwards for all of its 118 years. :lol:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
There's always been something so very wrong with the club's forward purchasing, retention and training. They just don't seem to get it, despite being able to pooh out quality in just about every other position.

I don't just mean the Albion 1.2, I mean for ever.

There are probably more quality profitable centre backs at the club right now than its had centre forwards for all of its 118 years. :lol:

Except in fact our most profitable player ever is still on the books, was signed 3 years ago this summer, got us promoted to the Premier League and kept us in the premier league for 2 seasons. Quite a return for £3m.

A centre forward.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Except in fact our most profitable player ever is still on the books, was signed 3 years ago this summer, got us promoted to the Premier League and kept us in the premier league for 2 seasons. Quite a return for £3m.

A centre forward.

Lol, we’ll whitewash over the complete feck up that we made a few years before that, when we let his contract run down and he left for nothing ,went to a team who got promoted off his goals a few seasons before we saw the light and paid 3 million to bring him back.

Then your version above starts :smile:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Lol, we’ll whitewash over the complete feck up that we made a few years before that, when we let his contract run down and he left for nothing ,went to a team who got promoted off his goals a few seasons before we saw the light and paid 3 million to bring him back.

Then your version above starts :smile:

Not whitewashing at all. Of course we've signed some disappointing forwards and/or sold some good ones.
You can't argue that our purchasing of forwards in the last 5 years or even 20 years is "shit", or "very wrong" , or a "disaster" without acknowledging that three years ago that signing was a masterstroke and to overlook the contributions of Hemed and Baldock in getting into the Premier League is also being harsh in the extreme. So why not mention it ?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
three years ago that signing was a masterstroke

I'm sorry but you can't call it a masterstroke when we were the ones who royally ****ed it up in the first place, bringing back a player who never wanted to leave in the first place and still had a house in Brighton. That's just common sense to bring him back.

If I set fire to my room, it's not then a "masterstroke" if I clean it up afterwards.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Not whitewashing at all. Of course we've signed some disappointing forwards and/or sold some good ones.
You can't argue that our purchasing of forwards in the last 5 years or even 20 years is "shit", or "very wrong" , or a "disaster" without acknowledging that three years ago that signing was a masterstroke and to overlook the contributions of Hemed and Baldock in getting into the Premier League is also being harsh in the extreme. So why not mention it ?

The only one good enough to play in the Premier League is Murray. I agree Hemed and Baldock did well over a season but could not make the step up and in fact didn’t do much when they made the step down again either.

We do not excel at signing young strikers who improve year on year and the only ones we have are Murray and Barnes and we shoved both of them out of the door. I’d suggest that makes us quite shit with our striker efforts.

Bringing Murray back was a no brainer not a masterstroke either as Mellotron has stated.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm sorry but you can't call it a masterstroke when we were the ones who royally ****ed it up in the first place, bringing back a player who never wanted to leave in the first place and still had a house in Brighton. That's just common sense to bring him back.

If I set fire to my room, it's not then a "masterstroke" if I clean it up afterwards.

Are we seriously saying that we can't argue that signing Glenn Murray for £3m three years ago wasn't a good signing. If not one of our most important signings in the last 5 years. This is quite a high bar when judging our signings of forwards in the last 10 years isn't it.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I’d suggest that makes us quite shit with our striker efforts.
Bringing Murray back was a no brainer not a masterstroke either as Mellotron has stated.

"quite shit" is probably better than SB's verdict which is merely "shit" so fair enough.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The only one good enough to play in the Premier League is Murray. I agree Hemed and Baldock did well over a season but could not make the step up and in fact didn’t do much when they made the step down again either.

We do not excel at signing young strikers who improve year on year and the only ones we have are Murray and Barnes and we shoved both of them out of the door. I’d suggest that makes us quite shit with our striker efforts.

To be fair on Baldock, 20 mins at West Brom isn’t much of an opportunity.

Otherwise we do seem to struggle with identifying quality forwards (Ulloa apart).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How is it last season Harry Wilson goes to Derby and scores 18 goals.
When in exactly the same situation we get a kid that looked petrified and a puker.

I guess I ought not mention the likes of Leon 'clearly not the' Best.

Who was the last kid to come through the ranks and then kick on again?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Hemed and Baldock were both signed to play as strikers in the Championship. Both did so very well, and as a result, the club was promoted to the Premier league.

I'm not sure either can justifiably be held up as evidence of 'shit striker recruitment'. :shrug:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
How is it last season Harry Wilson goes to Derby and scores 18 goals.
When in exactly the same situation we get a kid that looked petrified and a puker.

I guess I ought not mention the likes of Leon 'clearly not the' Best.

Who was the last kid to come through the ranks and then kick on again?

or in the season we were promoted Derby bought Vydra for £8m who scored 5 times and we bought Murray for £3m who scored 23.
They weren't promoted (again) and we were. Its just not fair is it .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here