Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Parking fine advice

Drpepper

Nov 23, 2011
Sussex
Long story short, Driving along seafront in Lancing and pulled into beach green carpark and took at 20 min phone call, then drove out. 5 days later i get a pcn through the post, ive appealed it but they have rejected it. Do i carry on appealing and see what it comes to or just pay the £50 fine? Seems very steep to give me a parking fine for pulling into a carpark to take a phone call imo
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Doesn’t sound hopeful to me......you parked for 20 mins without getting a ticket....if everyone who popped to the shops in most towns did that.....not sure the phone call has any relevance really. Hopefully one of the PCN experts on here will find a way out of it for you though.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Doesn’t sound hopeful to me......you parked for 20 mins without getting a ticket....if everyone who popped to the shops in most towns did that.....not sure the phone call has any relevance really. Hopefully one of the PCN experts on here will find a way out of it for you though.

Before ANPR you could do it if you weren't leaving the car because you had the option to leave if a ticket collector turned up. Personally I don't think they advertise ANPR very well, I pick up on it because I know the technology but can see how it's easily missed by people.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Calling [MENTION=18265]LadySeagull[/MENTION] - she knows this business inside out, her advice will be sound ...

From previous times she's helped me out - rule 1 is NEVER admit you were the driver - they have sent a parking fine to the "keeper" not the "driver" and they can't force the keeper to reveal who the driver was.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Before ANPR you could do it if you weren't leaving the car because you had the option to leave if a ticket collector turned up. Personally I don't think they advertise ANPR very well, I pick up on it because I know the technology but can see how it's easily missed by people.

True......

I’ve just had a battle over a ticket myself at Lewes Station. Can’t work out why (and they never explained) they issued a ticket as I was legally parked (in a disabled bay, with my neighbour’s blue badge correctly displayed as I took him to the Man City game). Luckily I had a text receipt to acknowledge registering on arrival and a copy of the badge. Still got a very patronising ‘on this occasion we’ll waive the ticket’ - bloody right you will, it was incorrectly issued........

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
I got a PCN when I parked my car at my garage down by Asda. Felt slightly sorry. As when I received it. I emailed the garage. Received no reply but assumed they dealt with it. Then I received another letter from a firm saying they’re going to take me to court unless I now pay £170.

Went into the garage. And they offered to pay original fine of £100, I argued that I left the car there in good faith; and they reluctantly said they’d pay it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I got a PCN when I parked my car at my garage down by Asda. Felt slightly sorry. As when I received it. I emailed the garage. Received no reply but assumed they dealt with it. Then I received another letter from a firm saying they’re going to take me to court unless I now pay £170.

Went into the garage. And they offered to pay original fine of £100, I argued that I left the car there in good faith; and they reluctantly said they’d pay it all.

Check your brake pipes.

Drpepper

Nov 23, 2011
Sussex
I hadnt been in that car park for years, didnt realise it was the auto numberplate recogniser in it, and its 24 hours looks like im just going to have to pay it

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I hadnt been in that car park for years, didnt realise it was the auto numberplate recogniser in it, and its 24 hours looks like im just going to have to pay it

How did you appeal it and what did you say?

You should be able to get out of it.... but possibly not if you admitted to being the driver

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Long story short, Driving along seafront in Lancing and pulled into beach green carpark and took at 20 min phone call, then drove out. 5 days later i get a pcn through the post, ive appealed it but they have rejected it. Do i carry on appealing and see what it comes to or just pay the £50 fine? Seems very steep to give me a parking fine for pulling into a carpark to take a phone call imo
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks

Is the PCN a council one or a private one ? Which company has it come from if it's private ?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
cvb.JPG

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Yep, I have heard that District Enforcement were infesting that place and using ANPR which is not allowed on Council land.

It is an unlawful set up!

http://www.lancingparishcouncil.gov.uk/car_parks_in_lancing.asp

Did you tell DE who was driving when you appealed?

I have a plan to get your money back even if you give up and pay this one, and I'd really like to be instrumental in exposing the illegality of what the Council have done.

In terms of parking fighter 'work', nothing would make me happier than to get Dyl Kurpil, the DE Director, removed from there, which is possible under the circs. I am pro Police but he is a notorious ex copper who strikes me as a nasty piece of work in my previous dealings with him for victims.

Tell me more by pm.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Yep, I have heard that District Enforcement were infesting that place and using ANPR which is not allowed on Council land.

I have a plan to get your money back even if you give up and pay this one, and I'd really like to be instrumental in exposing the illegality of what the Council have done.

In terms of parking fighter 'work', nothing would make me happier than to get Dyl Kurpil, the DE Director, removed from there, which is possible under the circs. I am pro Police but he is a notorious ex copper who strikes me as a nasty piece of work in my previous dealings with him for victims.

Tell me more by pm.

Intriguing.

Please post as you proceed. A lot of us will be interested

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Yes I am keen to do something about that set up. I will let you know how it pans out.

A friend and fellow parking warrior got Wycombe Council banned from getting DVLA data and enforcing any PCN for a year, when they tried ANPR in a car park near him! And I will be asking him to proof read what I submit to bring this down, to make sure I don't miss a trick.

DE are not a firm I would want anywhere in Sussex, nasty ex clampers, and an ex copper should know better re the legalities.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Didn’t know that council sites are not allowed to enforce via ANPR (if I’ve read this correctly?)

Assume if I have already paid a fine (I was caught by ANPR) I have little chance of getting back?

Drpepper

Nov 23, 2011
Sussex

Tell me more by pm.
Ive sent you a pm

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Its a lancing parish carpark which i assume is council, but its managed by District Enforcement Limited

You've got [MENTION=18265]LadySeagull[/MENTION] on the case so I won't step in as she far more experienced than me !

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
So if you pull into Beach Green now you have to pay something regardless if you actually park or not?

They have to give you a reasonable amount of time to decide if you wish to stay - i.e. agree to the T&Cs. Normally it's about 10 minutes but the OP was pushing it with 20 minutes. That said it's run by scammers / criminals so needs fighting as LadySeagull is going to do for the OP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here