How can I get rid of tennants next door?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
We have a semi-detatched house in Eastbourne in a fairly quiet area.

The house next door to us has been rented out to various people over the last 3-4 years and up until recently, the people have all been ok.

A few weeks ago, new tennants moved in and everything has changed. We hear loud music at all hours, screaming kids, the two 'adults' shouting and swearing at each other and during the day when they are both out, the dog howling and barking all day.

Last week I had to knock on their door at 9pm to get them to turn their music down as my kids were trying to sleep. This morning the fella has come and knocked on our door while I am at work and spoken to my wife, accusing us or our kids of throwing wet tissue at their dog yesterday. I can understand why somebody might do that, as the dog was barking/howling all day, but it wasn't us.

We have in the last week or so noted down any instances of loud music, swearing etc. We need to know how we can proceed further now as I can only see this situation escalating.

We do not know the identity of the owner of the property or the letting agent. Anyone got any sensible ideas/advice as to what we might do next?

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Do you live near me?!?! Sound like carbon copies of our neighbours!! We've complained to the council lots about them (they're in a council house - surprise surprise) and they've done bugger all about it. Good luck!!!

I believe the police do have the powers to act on complaints - noise issues, aggressive approaches, and general misbehavior by bad neighbours - but they will un-doubtably be found ultimately ineffectual. From there, your new neighbour will have their back up about you and flaunt the proven lack of authority over them to an even greater degree.
I suggest you start threatening to pummel the man into the ground if things don't go your way, and hold him personally responsible for every squeak from child or dog. :thumbsup:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The landlord has a duty of care to you. You need to find out who owns the property (via the Land Registry?) and contact the owner. Keep making a note of any/all issues. But be careful about getting into a legal dispute (eg calling the police, exchange solicitors letters etc) because you'll be required to declare that if you ever come to sell your house and it puts off buyers big time.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Tricky this...if you complain to noise abatement then relations between you, which are already sliding by the sounds of it, will probably worsen. I think you could find the owner via land registry but even if you do the likelihood is that they will be uninterested even if the tenants are in breach of their lease by causing a nuisance. If they are using a letting agent you might get them to help but ,again, don't hold your breath.

Some of these situations require you to gather evidence (CCTV, diary keeping etc.) before you can get any action taken.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
You need one of those thingymajigs that you put up against your wall and register their level of noise. If it's as bad as it sounds, you have all the proof you need for them to get their first and final caution.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Some of these situations require you to gather evidence (CCTV, diary keeping etc.) before you can get any action taken.

I was going to suggest keeping a diary too.

I don't know too much about this, but I do know that in order to get anything done there needs to be proof of continued inconvieniance over a period of time. Try to contact their landlord - they will want to know what is going on in their house.

[edit] A lot of landlords don't allow pets (my Parents have a few rental properties and are very strict with this following various pet-related damage) - the fact they have a pet may be enough on its own for their landlord to ask them to move on.

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I really do have a hatred for noisey and inconsiderate neighbours, I dont know why it is but there's allways that minority of people who seem to think it's some kind of an achievement to piss off everybody who lives around them. As far as i'm concerned if people who do that are rented accomodation they should be evicted and left homeless until they learn to show respect to others that live around them.

D

Deleted User X18H

We have a semi-detatched house in Eastbourne in a fairly quiet area.

The house next door to us has been rented out to various people over the last 3-4 years and up until recently, the people have all been ok.

A few weeks ago, new tenants moved in and everything has changed. We hear loud music at all hours, screaming kids, the two 'adults' shouting and swearing at each other and during the day when they are both out, the dog howling and barking all day.

Last week I had to knock on their door at 9pm to get them to turn their music down as my kids were trying to sleep. This morning the fella has come and knocked on our door while I am at work and spoken to my wife, accusing us or our kids of throwing wet tissue at their dog yesterday. I can understand why somebody might do that, as the dog was barking/howling all day, but it wasn't us.

We have in the last week or so noted down any instances of loud music, swearing etc. We need to know how we can proceed further now as I can only see this situation escalating.

We do not know the identity of the owner of the property or the letting agent. Anyone got any sensible ideas/advice as to what we might do next?
Do a land registry search find out the owner of the property and if you are able, visit him around midnight and express your concerns!!

I did that once never had an ounce of trouble after that except 2 nights later when the Landlord/Owner turned up to advise tenants in no uncertain terms to either keep it down or ship out!! Simples

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Do a land registry search find out the owner of the property and if you are able, visit him around midnight and express your concerns!!

I did that once never had an ounce of trouble after that except 2 nights later when the Landlord/Owner turned up to advise tenants in no uncertain terms to either keep it down or ship out!! Simples

Thats a bit harsh - the owner may well be unaware of the problem! Perhaps you could do this if the owner ignores your first request.

D

Deleted User X18H

Thats a bit harsh - the owner may well be unaware of the problem! Perhaps you could do this if the owner ignores your first request.

They receive rent they are responsible for they're tenants conduct.

Besides who is to say that Midnight to BOF is another mans 7pm.We don't know what hours he works!!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Is a reign of terror against them out of the question? I suggest contacting Nicholas Hoogstraten c/o Belmarsh Prison:)

Last edited:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Option one;
Go to pets at home or similar buy 10 mice and a few hissing cockroaches then late at night post them through their letter box. Within about 6-8 weeks they will be over-run.

Unless their complete gypsies they will soon f*** off.

Option 2;
Failing that jubilee clip a welding gas canaster to their exhaust mid section on their car and blow them up tailiban stylee'.

Option 3;

Put a dead body in their wheely bin to frame them for murder.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
We had the same problem in 2007/8. The semi next door was divided into two flats. The upstairs was owned by a guy who lived there but the ground floor was owned by a lady who went off to South America for 2 years on a VSO project. She rented out and the first tenants were fine but only stayed for 1 year before his work took him elsewhere. The next woman was a nightmare - she seemed to be up all night and sleep during the day. During the night she did nothing but play loud music, drink vodka (judging by her overflowing dustbins every week) and shout/swear very loudly.

The upstairs guy was first to complain and he was then subject to a complaint - from her - for sexual molestation. The police were involved from that point on and quickly saw what was happening. We had the community support officer around who advised everyone in the surrounding houses to keep diaries of what was happening as they were buildiing a case for an ASBO. The owner was contacted and then instructed the renting agents to get her out - but the problem was that she had paid a years rent up front (which was probably why they let her in without any real checks). She was taken to court a number of times (including assault on my son's friend for 'over-revving' his car) and issued on-the-spot fines by the police for various offences (including breaking our front door when I closed it on her in mid-rant).

The agents finally got an order to evict her and, strangely enough, the morning before she was due to leave - and the same day she was due in court on another assault charge - there was a fire in her living room. Both flats were badly damaged and we had a lot of smoke damage to ours - but everything was covered by insurance and it seemed like a small price to pay for peace at last.

The entire process took about 9 or 10 months - so it isn't too long (but seems like that when you're going through it). Good luck and I hope they aren't as difficult as ours was.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
We lived in a semi in Hove with inconsiderate neighbours, when the husband was out the wife would play Barry Manilow records at very high volume.

Early in the morning, like 6.30 on a Sunday, the kids would play the recorder (Londons Burning) in the bedroom next to ours.

I asked politely if they would keep it down, but nothing happened.

So I went on the attack:

As soon as we were woken up in the morning I wheeled my 1950's juke box against the bedroom wall next to the parents and played it continuously at dance floor levels.

If the wife started her love affair with Manilow I would fire up my petrol driven cement mixer on the patio next to their house, throw in a few house bricks for good measure and go out.

They soon got the message.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports