Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Not sure what that’s got to do with my question though?
Maybe Liverpool and Man City for starters? Bournemouth possibly. My point was that Hughton would never give the likes of Brooks or Alexander Arnold a start, let alone a regular place. Nor would he sign somebody like 20 year old Kelly like Bournemouth have just done. There are lots of others. Everton regularly give younger players their opportunity.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Maybe Liverpool and Man City for starters? Bournemouth possibly. My point was that Hughton would never give the likes of Brooks or Alexander Arnold a start, let alone a regular place. Nor would he sign somebody like 20 year old Kelly like Bournemouth have just done. There are lots of others. Everton regularly give younger players their opportunity.

Spot on

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

He was happy to pick Solly from the age of 20, Tomori when he was 19 and reportedly wanted Brooks - so I guess he would have played him too.
He’s also been close to signing other teenagers in the past - eg Joe Gomez, Abraham. He’d have played young players if he’d had young players.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
We were away to the team that demolished us at home earlier in the season, and who had looked odds on to go up.
Equalised and there was only one team going to win that - us
Until the Shyster had his moment of glory

People have short memories - jeez.

Were you there and if so why did you bother?

Yes I was there supporting my team. How dare you insinuate otherwise just because someone has a different and in this case, correct view. Albion put in a decent second-half performance but you are choosing to ignore that we were totally outplayed in the first-half and were fortunate to go in at half time only one down. Time to throw away those rose tinted glasses.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So am I. Clearly thinks 'out of the box' and whilst I doubt if he'll replicate many of the things up there it's certainly going to be a new approach. Isn't that what we need ?

I've thought all along that he is actually a higher risk than sticking with Chris Hughton, but there is no doubt that there is the possibility of higher rewards regarding playing style and use of the development squad..

I think things will be very different, but TB has made the call with the best intentions and I'm now quite excited at the prospect of getting him.

Just needs to bloody sing.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
He was happy to pick Solly from the age of 20, Tomori when he was 19 and reportedly wanted Brooks - so I guess he would have played him too.
He’s also been close to signing other teenagers in the past - eg Joe Gomez, Abraham. He’d have played young players if he’d had young players.

There was an interesting discussion about the difference between Brooks and March on the Guardian football podcast last week where they discussed whether both players were in fact quite similar but Brooks had kicked on another level due to the way Bournemouth play. Time will tell whether that's the case now, I guess..

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I've thought all along that he is actually a higher risk than sticking with Chris Hughton, but there is no doubt that there is the possibility of higher rewards regarding playing style and use of the development squad..

I think things will be very different, but TB has made the call with the best intentions and I'm now quite excited at the prospect of getting him.

Just needs to bloody sing.

I don't take him to be a bigger risk than sticking with CH. I think sticking with CH was a risk. Other managers had found him out, and it didn't look as though he could adapt. Things will be different under Potter.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Tbf; Hughton gave James Tilley 15 seconds in the playoffs.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I don't take him to be a bigger risk than sticking with CH. I think sticking with CH was a risk. Other managers had found him out, and it didn't look as though he could adapt. Things will be different under Potter.

I think we will have to agree to disagree. CHs somewhat unexciting 4-4-1-1 got us safely through our first season and a half in the premier, before he tried a more attacking formation. Reverting back to it got us crucial points in the last few games.

However, we can agree that things will be different under Potter :thumbsup:

nealrogers

The real Swans man.
Jul 31, 2011
Hove
Originally Posted by Bry Nylon

So has Harry actually SINGED yet?

--

Just crashed and burned.

I'm really hoping that's a Danny Baker style gaffe and not a Sala based joke.

The OP asked if Potter had singed yet. Singed, not signed. Nothing to do with Danny Baker and why would it have anything to do with Sala? - that was Cardiff, not the same club as Swansea.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007

I’m sorry, but you just cannot compare Brighton and Hove Albion to Man City or Liverpool in any way whatsoever.

I knew someone would bring up Brooks.
He was signed for £11.5m - hardly bringing through from the youth team.

My point is that on a number of occasions, Pail Barber has said that it takes a number of years for youth players to progress through the system. I don’t think we can beat Hughton with yet another stick.

I can’t think of many players - from bottom 10 sides, who have brought through their own youth players.

I hope Graham Potter can do it obviously.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Yes I was there supporting my team. How dare you insinuate otherwise just because someone has a different and in this case, correct view. Albion put in a decent second-half performance but you are choosing to ignore that we were totally outplayed in the first-half and were fortunate to go in at half time only one down. Time to throw away those rose tinted glasses.

Yeah, you’re probably right, the writing was on the wall - We probably should have sacked him then.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Saw this YouTube comment...

Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 19.47.13.png

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I’m sorry, but you just cannot compare Brighton and Hove Albion to Man City or Liverpool in any way whatsoever.

I knew someone would bring up Brooks.
He was signed for £11.5m - hardly bringing through from the youth team.

My point is that on a number of occasions, Pail Barber has said that it takes a number of years for youth players to progress through the system. I don’t think we can beat Hughton with yet another stick.

I can’t think of many players - from bottom 10 sides, who have brought through their own youth players.

I hope Graham Potter can do it obviously.
Why can't we compare? Teams pushing for trophies are happy to play youngsters.

Tecmo

May 18, 2019
Swansea fan, you got a great young manager. Was thrilled Swansea signed him last year, pretty devastated now. But can't blame him for taking the chance in the Premier League with a solid club that has supportive owners.

I'll be following your club to see how this goes, I think you're going to be happy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here