Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I don't think they have to be better in every area. Potter is unlikely to be better than Hughton in all areas, let alone leaps and bounds better. He is, however, different, and that appears to be what Bloom wants.

Oh come on. There are dozens of world class managers across the planet. You don't seriously think that the only decent one we can get is Potter?

Bit of a daft statement. Why would I think that?

So Bloom had dozens of world class managers, who were available, on his shortlist? Or the chance of getting Potter was too tempting and sacking Hughton on the basis of signing the ideal candidate was too good an opportunity to miss on the recommendation of Ashworth?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I think thats the media pissing in the wind tbh. One thing we know about Bloom is that he keeps his cards very close to his chest, I've seen nothing to give any real credence to Phil Neville being in the frame.

If we don't get Potter, he'll probably go foreign with someone we've never heard of.

Can you please categorically state that there's no chance of hiring Neville.? I need to hear it from somebody like yourself for reassurance! I'm having trouble sleeping lately.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I really can’t see how Potter being offered a bigger contract by Swansea is relevant. If it was about money, then he would have jumped ship straight away, as we can surely pay him way more than they can. So assuming it isn’t about money, it must be about what they can offer him with regard to transfer budget and a plan for the club moving forward, that means the risk of moving to a Premier League club isn’t worth the gamble.

If they can’t offer him that, then surely he is ours.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Possibly does not want to uproot young family second summer in a row - can recall reading interviews this time last year where he had promised them it was a one off not to be repeated - more to life than money - he may view quality time with a contented family as worth more than money

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Possibly does not want to uproot young family second summer in a row - can recall reading interviews this time last year where he had promised them it was a one off not to be repeated - more to life than money - he may view quality time with a contented family as worth more than money

Seems a bit strange given the career he has chosen. So what happens if he gets sacked will he change career or break his promise to the family

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Interesting that Swansea have offered him an improved contract.
It’s seems their American backers value him and are keen for him to push on next season.
With rumours of Neville being lined up as a alternative, it could be resolved one way or another this weekend.
My money’s on Neville ( cheaper option)

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I really can’t see how Potter being offered a bigger contract by Swansea is relevant. If it was about money, then he would have jumped ship straight away, as we can surely pay him way more than they can. So assuming it isn’t about money, it must be about what they can offer him with regard to transfer budget and a plan for the club moving forward, that means the risk of moving to a Premier League club isn’t worth the gamble.

If they can’t offer him that, then surely he is ours.

Financial security wise I am assuming with his player earnings, PFA pension and management income he could probably retire and live modestly without working again however the next contract be it Swansea or us will bring a new level to his family financial security being what is paid now compared to lower league wages then, so I think although money isn’t the main objective it would certainly feature.

Let’s me under no illusion, a discussion on the package and duration has already been had by whatever channel,with the agent playing off both sides against each other, which they are paid to do.

I wonder if the duration of the contract is something still being considered on both sides, whereas Swansea may offer half of what we are offering but doubling the duration nets him the same if sacked and staying for the project is less pressure / personal satisfaction. The premier league factor must also be in his mind (does he think he’s ready?)

From what I’ve read he seems pro-active and trusts his own process so imagine absolute clarity as to winstanleys and ashworths involvement will be and what the quorum is on final decisions.

He has his own team to think about as well and seems to have two way loyalty on his side, will there be places for his player recruiters?

I’m not surprised this is taking a while as a result.

The last point is whether the sacking of Chris and the recruitment of potter / Neville are linked? I don’t believe they are, I think bloom has a list of targets and despite some back channelling as to personals situations prior to the sacking, the sacking itself was a single decision not reliant on a particular replacement.

I would expect us to have a yes / no on Potter but next Wednesday cob at the latest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
It’s seems their American backers value him and are keen for him to push on next season.
With rumours of Neville being lined up as a alternative, it could be resolved one way or another this weekend.

Who cares what you think. Please go away.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Seeing you've mentioned money, I've just had to turn my volume down, due to the noise coming from your charity collection tin (pot).....

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Financial security wise I am assuming with his player earnings, PFA pension and management income he could probably retire and live modestly without working again however the next contract be it Swansea or us will bring a new level to his family financial security being what is paid now compared to lower league wages then, so I think although money isn’t the main objective it would certainly feature.

Let’s me under no illusion, a discussion on the package and duration has already been had by whatever channel,with the agent playing off both sides against each other, which they are paid to do.

I wonder if the duration of the contract is something still being considered on both sides, whereas Swansea may offer half of what we are offering but doubling the duration nets him the same if sacked and staying for the project is less pressure / personal satisfaction. The premier league factor must also be in his mind (does he think he’s ready?)

From what I’ve read he seems pro-active and trusts his own process so imagine absolute clarity as to winstanleys and ashworths involvement will be and what the quorum is on final decisions.

He has his own team to think about as well and seems to have two way loyalty on his side, will there be places for his player recruiters?

I’m not surprised this is taking a while as a result.

The last point is whether the sacking of Chris and the recruitment of potter / Neville are linked? I don’t believe they are, I think bloom has a list of targets and despite some back channelling as to personals situations prior to the sacking, the sacking itself was a single decision not reliant on a particular replacement.

I would expect us to have a yes / no on Potter but next Wednesday cob at the latest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, you think he could never work again? Have you actually thought about those numbers? That is absolute nonsense. How much do you think he earned as a lower league journeyman? Of course he needs to work, and a Premier League job would no doubt change everything for him and his family financially.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
The problem with Neville (well, one of) is that if he does well at Albion there will be ENDLESS speculation about him going to United. Zzzzzz.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Your money's always the cheaper option given you only actually give the bookmaker a quid when you want to put a tenner on

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I assume as it's happened to me a couple of times, I'll not be alone with this.

I've handed in a letter of resignation only to be told, later that day:-

'but we were just about to offer you this hefty pay rise'.

On both occasions it's had quite the opposite effect and I've not wanted to get out of their fast enough.
To me it's a terrible pisstake, 'hey I've had a right good laugh watching you work hard while being undervalued, this is what you're actually worth and what I should have been paying you for months'

Well scccreewwwwww YOU

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Bit of a daft statement. Why would I think that?
That's how I interpreted 'Anyone other than Potter is going for second best'. Potter is just the name that's in the media - the one we know about. There will be others on the list, and they may be better or worse than Potter. It seems odd to call them all second best.

So Bloom had dozens of world class managers, who were available, on his shortlist?
It looks like Potter was on that shortlist, and he wasn't available. There will be several decent options.

Or the chance of getting Potter was too tempting and sacking Hughton on the basis of signing the ideal candidate was too good an opportunity to miss on the recommendation of Ashworth?
That's extremely unlikely to be what's happened. First and foremost, he has decided that Hughton isn't the man to take us forward. There are other managers who might be able to offer the football that Bloom wants.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...

If you're banking on us taking Neville just because he's the cheaper option then you obviously haven't been paying much attention to what's been going on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here