Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton leaves with immediate effect

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Yet another lazy article from a smarmy journalist who should know better.
Clearly not been sent to watch us too many times season.

What shite some of these journos write.
What with this article along with Paul Hayward trying to absolve CH of any blame for this season's performances, it is quite ridiculous.
I wonder when Chris will be nominated for Sainthood by Messrs. Hayward and Winter!:ffsparr:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
'went wrong' - one of the weakest squads and one of the smallest budgets in the PL - and Hughton manages to keep the club from being relegated - jeez :eek:

JRG; we are all entitled to our views.
You and I happen to disagree. The owner and I happen to agree.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Southampton had -
Nathaniel Clyne
Morgan Schneiderlin
Jay Rodriguez
James Ward-Prowse
Adam Lallana
Luke Shaw
José Fonte
and
Rickie Lambert who scored 15 goals that season.

The following season Rodriquez and Lambert scored 28 goals between them. The also bought Sadio Mane the following year.

Whereas our squad is completely devoid of talent?

What is your purpose here out of curiosity? Nobody on this forum is slating Hughton, we all love the bloke but the decision is understandable. Time will tell how things pan out.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It’s a very good question.

Hopefully this time we have the finances to keep investing year on year. That didn’t happen in the latter stages of Mike Bailey’s time.

Bailey did a great job initially, but fans were not happy with the style of play even though we were beating some of the top teams.

After Xmas 81, form fell away winning only two of fourteen games and player unrest started. The club was falling more into debt and hardly any new players came in. Relegation threatened with defensive tactics led to his “mutual consent” exit. Melia took over and it got worse but the Cup run papered over the cracks.

Some similarities to today, but hopefully investment, including wages, will start to match our direct competitors.
thank you.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
'went wrong' - one of the weakest squads and one of the smallest budgets in the PL - and Hughton manages to keep the club from being relegated - jeez :eek:
It was the form since Christmas (3 wins in 23 games) and terrible football that did for him. At least the new bloke will have a full pre-season with the squad.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
What went wrong after we saked Mike Bailey and why won’t the same thing happen now that we’ve sacked Chris Hughton? There are some similarities in the situation, could someone explain (reassure) to me why history isn’t about to repeat itself.

Because the club appointed a clown to succeed Mike Bailey aka Jimmy Melia.
I trust Bloom, Ashworth and Barber not to make the same mistake.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Without being explicit, he's made it pretty clear that he thinks it was a shit decision.

No he hasn't. He has said it is the biggest gamble of his tenure owning the club. He also says it is a shame as he believes that CH is one of the nicest guys he has built a relationship with. None of that says that he thinks it's shit decision. You just want to believe that.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

With respect - do **** off! Weakest squads???? Our squad may be small, but weak? I'm not buying that, no weaker than a lot of the other clubs in the bottom half of the Premier League - including yours.

I can't stand it when non-Albion fans come on here and start preaching about "what we should be grateful for". I don't buy that bullshit - Bloom is ambitious, and why not? It may backfire, but before this decision we were heading one way and one way only.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
including yours.
Which one would that be?

I can't stand it when non-Albion fans come on here and start preaching about "what we should be grateful for". I don't buy that bullshit - Bloom is ambitious, and why not? It may backfire, but before this decision we were heading one way and one way only.
Jumping to conclusions there -

Bloom might be ambitious - but unless he is willing to plough the rest of his reputed £1billion wealth into the club then Brighton are stuck fighting relegation - and maybe even then it wouldn't work. The only club that has been able to break out of the bottom half of the table over the last 20 years has been Leicester, bought by a company with revenue of more than $2billion a year - with a freak win of the PL and then making another £75million from the Champions League - and even they have some down times that have seen them struggle.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Which one would that be?

Jumping to conclusions there -

Bloom might be ambitious - but unless he is willing to plough the rest of his reputed £1billion wealth into the club then Brighton are stuck fighting relegation - and maybe even then it wouldn't work. The only club that has been able to break out of the bottom half of the table over the last 20 years has been Leicester, bought by a company with revenue of more than $2billion a year - with a freak win of the PL and then making another £75million from the Champions League - and even they have some down times that have seen them struggle.

I don't think Tony Bloom has ever said he wants us to break into the top half of the table, certainly not yet. I think he just wants better than 4th from bottom and just about surviving.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Maybe nitpicking rather, but Kayal (at Newcastle), Stephens (at West Ham), Pröpper (at Leicester) and Bissouma (at Bournemouth) ALL scored this season.

To nitpick further, Kayal didn’t know anything about it (deflection) and Bissouma’s goal was in the cup.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I don't think Tony Bloom has ever said he wants us to break into the top half of the table, certainly not yet. I think he just wants better than 4th from bottom and just about surviving.

Surviving is the realistic objective for a club with Brighton's budget - Bloom will have to spend a minimum of £100million on transfers just to stand still.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Surviving is the realistic objective for a club with Brighton's budget - Bloom will have to spend a minimum of £100million on transfers just to stand still.

Who are you using as an example, in the bottom half of the table, of spending £100M to stand still?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I think most fans are well aware that the odds will always be stacked against clubs like ours in the Premier League. Breaking into the top 10 is probably beyond us, certainly for the forseeable future.

If I was in Tony Bloom's position my objectives at this stage would simply be to increase the odds of us staying up, and doing so with a style of football that pleases the fans – and makes the club a more attractive proposition to new signings – than has been the case for the majority of the past season.

I'm not expecting us to avoid a relegation battle again next year. But it would be nice to make some progress as rapidly as we seemed to slide into stagnation and decline this year.

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury

According to an interview with one of the players after Arsenal (I think it may have been Muzza), Albion have achieved 2 of their 3 targets this season:
* PL Survival (top priority) - achieved
* A good cup run - achieved
* Finish with a better points total or higher position in the table than last season - failed

Tony Bloom has always said that he wants us to consolidate as a long-term PL team, intimating that he would expect at least 5-6 seasons before we should be expecting to be able to consider pushing for Europe. That suggests that he would be more after mid-table obscurity at the moment rather than top-half.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

As a matter of interest who do you support?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here