Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton leaves with immediate effect

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
My Celtic mate has just informed me that there's loads of blogs going about that CH's going to be joining Celtic?

I hope he gets the job as the chances are he will get some silverware and good publicity up there. Thats hoping Rangers and are Gerrard still one step behind Celtic next season.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Playing expansive football is all well and good and it gets the pundits 'drawling' but look at what happened to Huddersfield, Fulham and Cardiff and other newly promoted clubs who 'have a go'. Wolves being the exception (can we get NES :) ?) we need to find a medium and tread water carefully as choosing the next manager is beyond a big moment in the history of this club.

Indeed. Apparently the 'neutrals' are moaning about how ungrateful the club are to have sacked him, and I bet these are the very same people who were sneering about how we'd become the new Stoke and how boring we were just parking the bus. No pleasing some people.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
CH might be right although AK is under contract so that doesn’t make sense.

I'm guessing it's more a case that we won't stand in his way if a team were to come in for him, as opposed to releasing him from his contract.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Maybe Chris didn’t want to go out like that, seems quite a private man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I imagine that's exactly what happened. He was probably offered a "mutual consent" ending and a big cheer at the game or as it's been. I imagine that the latter probably costs the club more too.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Teams with 36 points would have been relegated from the Prem in 12 of the last 23 seasons, but if Arsenal and Man Utd continue to faff about and one of Leeds / Villa do a Wolves then that low points threshold we've seen in very recent years could start to rise. I wouldn't be surprised to see 36 points get you relegated from the Prem next season.

I wasn't disputing 36 is a dangerously low total, you presented it as relegation in 'most' premier league seasons, you are now showing it's pretty much 50%, which isn't most, and as with my 4 in the last 10, it is a diminishing number.

I don't think the Premier League has ever seen 6 such strong sides before with the top 6 finishing in the top 6 for the last 3 seasons. I doubt the survival total is going to increase anytime soon. While they retain that dominance with 6th achieving 65+ points, then the bottom 3 will mostly be struggling to get above 34 points.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Playing expansive football is all well and good and it gets the pundits 'drawling' but look at what happened to Huddersfield, Fulham and Cardiff and other newly promoted clubs who 'have a go'. Wolves being the exception (can we get NES :) ?) we need to find a medium and tread water carefully as choosing the next manager is beyond a big moment in the history of this club.

What we need to do is take notice of the new blueprint for playing in the PL, as superbly demonstrated by City and Liverpool and aspired to, at varying levels, by others. Quick, simple accurate football. The ability to move the ball upfield quickly and efficiently. A higher level of accuracy in passing and ball retention.

PaoloAlbioni

May 6, 2016
A real gentleman who has always conducted himself with dignity. He can leave with his head held high and will never have to buy a drink in Brighton.

Cheers Chris.

Not what i was expecting. A big thank you to Chris for what he gave us.
This.
A true gent, will be missed. Sad that he didn’t have the opportunity to receive due appreciation in yesterday’s lap of honour.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I suppose the main questions are

1. did he leave us in a better place than he found us? (yes)

2. could the place he left us have (realistically) been much better? (possibly)

3. If he stayed would the direction of travel taken us further towards that place? (unknowable)

4. will the new appointee? (we'll see)

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I wasn't disputing 36 is a dangerously low total, you presented it as relegation in 'most' premier league seasons, you are now showing it's pretty much 50%, which isn't most, and as with my 4 in the last 10, it is a diminishing number.

I don't think the Premier League has ever seen 6 such strong sides before with the top 6 finishing in the top 6 for the last 3 seasons. I doubt the survival total is going to increase anytime soon. While they retain that dominance with 6th achieving 65+ points, then the bottom 3 will mostly be struggling to get above 34 points.

Palace went down in 93 with 49 points.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I’m hoping bloom has set aside a lot of money for the next manager because if the expectation is to do significantly better with the existing squad then he is dreaming. Hughton did very well to keep us up.
Personally I reckon Tony is about to go all in, and we are just about to make a big big push With some proper players coming to the Amex

Agree. This is a statement sacking which says ( Bloom) i want us to go to the next level and to play a different, more attractive style of football. Ultimately that's going to take an unprecedented amount of money.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That explains the bizarre incident down Mash Barn Lane this morning .... there was a Bentley with a "Don't Follow Me, Follow The Spurs" sticker on the rear window, with the driver mocking the security guards with a rendition of:

"Champions League, you're 'avin' a laugh".

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I’m hoping bloom has set aside a lot of money for the next manager because if the expectation is to do significantly better with the existing squad then he is dreaming. Hughton did very well to keep us up.
Personally I reckon Tony is about to go all in, and we are just about to make a big big push With some proper players coming to the Amex

That’s where I am. He did something similar after the relegation battle in the championship. It will get interesting to see how this pans out

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Sad to see high Chris and Bruno leave, both for very different reasons , they have both been fantastic for the club but we must always be moving forward. As a recently promoted club, changes are going to happen. Let’s make those changes while they can still be positive and not post - relegation after failing to address issues.
Onward Ho!

On the way

Oct 9, 2016
North Herts
Big difference: Albion didn't sack him mid-season.
Big difference? 1 class manager sacked by 3 different clubs when he’s delivered what has been asked of him! outcome exactly the same, timing is irrelevant, our club has now become “just another club” can’t see it any other way at the moment I’m afraid.
#Together :sick:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

We will see but with OGS in charge next season and 1 point from 6 from Hudds and Cardiff in their last two matches the writing is on the wall for Man Utd. There are also big question marks over Arsenal without the departing Aaron Ramsey, and who knows what it could be like at Chelsea with a transfer embargo, no Hazard and speculation over Sarri's future. And Man Utd / Arsenal will have the dreaded Europa League to deal with too.

I see those 3 clubs dropping points next season to lower-placed teams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here