Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 4 E nglish teams

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think that EUFAs answer would be we award the grounds before any matches are played so it would not be either fair or logistically possible to change it with 14 days notice.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think that this is the first time that both European finals have been betwen 4 teams in the same league from the same country.
Yes, first time. And all 4 are from England, but none are from Manchester :lol:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I would think that EUFAs answer would be we award the grounds before any matches are played so it would not be either fair or logistically possible to change it with 14 days notice.

Correct. Stadiums bid for the finals so there is prestige and a lot of compensation would be involved. Imagine the litigation.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
6k each was the announcement this morning on ITV.

Apologies I was thinking the Champions League final which is 17k

6k for the Europa League is laughable I agree

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Correct. Stadiums bid for the finals so there is prestige and a lot of compensation would be involved. Imagine the litigation.

At this stage, yes, obviously. In future those contracts do not HAVE to be entered into. They can have a contingency of three or four suitable stadia on retainers and commit to the best fit when it becomes apparent.

(The best fit is NEVER going to be Baku, mind)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Would be even better if it had been achieved by players from the UK.
Have not counted, but I bet there are no more than 10 home grown players in the 4 squads.

Henderson
Oxlade Chamberlain
Lallana
Alexander-Arnold
Sturridge
Milner
Robertson
Trippier
Dier
Winks
Rose
Davies
Alli
Skipp
Kane
Hudson-Odoi
Loftus-Cheek
Cahill
Barkley
Iwobi
Nketiah
Ramsey
Wellbeck

Off the top of my head...

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Henderson
Oxlade Chamberlain
Lallana
Alexander-Arnold
Sturridge
Milner
Robertson
Trippier
Dier
Winks
Rose
Davies
Alli
Skipp
Kane
Hudson-Odoi
Loftus-Cheek
Cahill
Barkley
Iwobi
Nketiah
Ramsey
Wellbeck

Off the top of my head...
[MENTION=11729]Langley[/MENTION]

Liverpool- 10
Tottenham Hotspur- 7
Arsenal- 4
Chelsea- 6

Interesting that Arsenal have a very 'English' academy. They have a further 16 home grown players who have featured in their match day squad.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
What if somebody points out to them that Wembley holds 25,000 more people to fleece, than the ground they are using?

Redact your post :D

=lawros left foot;8905281]Pedant alert

It would have to be the one brain cell at UEFA, they are European competitions.

The one brain cell at FIFA would have the Finals in Saudi Arabia, and Tokyo.
:facepalm:

True, but the half brain cell at UEFA might. :D

[/I]QUOTE=Johnny RoastBeef;8905367]They are UEFA competitions, so I'm sure either cash determines who hosts the final, or they are allocated in return for political favours. No need to let common sense get in the way when sleaze works just as well.[/QUOTE]

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
[MENTION=11729]Langley[/MENTION]

Liverpool- 10
Tottenham Hotspur- 7
Arsenal- 4
Chelsea- 6

Interesting that Arsenal have a very 'English' academy. They have a further 16 home grown players who have featured in their match day squad.

For balance, Arsenal had 1 English player in their starting 11. Theres no way anyone is going to argue Chelsea and Arsenal in recent years haven’t comprised of almost entirely foreign players. They epitomise! It’s foreign owned, foreign managed, support is full of foreign tourists...its easier to argue they’re International brands registered in England. Which is ok btw, this isn’t about xenophobia. But please, let’s not pretend this is an English club (or any other nationality) success story. It’s not. It’s a PL club success story, the result of its enormously successful global marketing. It’s why people went bat shit mental in Bangkok as well as Battersea last night.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
For balance, Arsenal had 1 English player in their starting 11. Theres no way anyone is going to argue Chelsea and Arsenal in recent years haven’t comprised of almost entirely foreign players. They epitomise! It’s foreign owned, foreign managed, support is full of foreign tourists...its easier to argue they’re International brands registered in England. Which is ok btw, this isn’t about xenophobia. But please, let’s not pretend this is an English club (or any other nationality) success story. It’s not. It’s a PL club success story, the result of its enormously successful global marketing. It’s why people went bat shit mental in Bangkok as well as Battersea last night.

Same for all PL clubs, so what makes an English club English?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Same for all PL clubs, so what makes an English club English?

It's where they are based, their history, the league they play in. People travel to England to see them.

The arguments being placed against are based in economics.

You could not re-locate Liverpool to Spain and build a new stadium. The club would collapse. It would not be Liverpool. They are not franchises although they are a brand.

If BHA had a foreign owner we would not cease to be an English club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here