Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] MMR, Vaccinate or not.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
That Andrew Wakefield was/is an appalling human being!! I can still feel the guilt I felt watching the MMR needle being inserted into my year old first born back in 2003, not fully knowing if we were also giving her autism! All the fear created by that tosser and his cronies.

As others have said, there is no "probably" about it. Do it!!

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
MMR is now inextricably linked with inducing autism. Proven to be false, probably, but there's patently huge numbers of parents out there not willing to take the risk.

But their quite willing to risk others by their kids not being vaccinated, against an incredibly dangerous virus .
My wife`s school had an outbreak last year because of kids that were not vaccinated and one of the teachers had it so badly she had to go to hospital .
But what amazed me was the ignorance of a lot of the parents who lacked any reason to not get them done ,only what they had read on the internet not what a GP had told them .

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I and the then Mrs W decided to go private and get the kids single jabs but it was at the height of the scare. The problem could have been resolved, and probably still could, by also offering the single jabs on the NHS.

Complete and utter twaddle

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
On an unrelated topic, I have had to learn more about BPA (Bisphenol A) found in plastics.

Most if not all of us are consuming it every day, even if we try to avoid it. Mainly found in plastic packaging, including those single use water bottles (re-use one of these and you will consuming A LOT of BPA)

It is proven to disrupt hormone balances in people - it not only mimicks estrogen, but it also interacts with thyroids and increases estrogen production.

It is linked with infertility in both genders, and decreased weight of new borns... also a strong link with high blood pressure, obesity and type 2 diabetes.

And yet it's perfectly legal to use in plastic packaging and also enter the food chain. YOU have certainly consumed enough today for it to enter your body and show up in your urine.

People concerned about vaccines, are quite likely completely unaware of BPA.

Yes, I read about this a couple of years ago.. another compelling reason to ban / stop using plastics wherever possible.

This is another:

eightmillion.jpg

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Complete and utter twaddle

And it's exactly that type of attitude that has got us to where we are today with MMR. At the time my kids got the single jabs the government was in full flow denial mode that there was any risk with the MMR but the original report hadn't been proven wrong - that came later. Lots of parents wanted the single jabs but couldn't afford them so those kids went unvaccinated thus creating a huge risk. Now I'm all for debunking false statements but surely in this case the most important issue is how to get kids vaccinated rather than the politics of 'MMR jabs are a risk', 'Oh no they're not' ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Imagine having to offer various alternatives on the NHS for every crackpot, ridiculous, Daily Mail spreading scare story. Where would it end?

But until MMR came along single vacccines were given ..... we're not talking about extract of badger preventing TB as a theory - the valid single jabs existed, had been in use and worked.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There is no probably about it. It is false. Unfortunately, social media has played a part in spreading false fears.

For every one child who isn't vaccinated, they can infect 15 others. I survived measles when I was 6 but many children weren't so lucky. Vaccinations wiped out smallpox, and measles should not be a worry nowadays.
Many Mums think it is a childhood disease, but it can cause blindness, deafness, meningitis and encephalitis, and death.
Please please please vaccinate your children.

Spot on.

SAC

May 21, 2014
But until MMR came along single vacccines were given ..... we're not talking about extract of badger preventing TB as a theory - the valid single jabs existed, had been in use and worked.

From memory, Andrew Wakefield wanted single jabs and a one year wait between jabs. Potentially very dangerous and also expensive.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Yes sorry, of course they are, but they're riskier, not as effective, not as practical and leave children exposed for longer because they are administered over a longer time period. There really is no case for the NHS to offer them just because parents have been scared into not having the MMR.

I completely understand your decision because at the time it seemed pretty scary. I'm talking about what we know now.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I wonder who might be spreading infectious disease by disinformation attacks ?

It will be interesting when they find out where the disinformation sources from. In fact, they hopefully know. We are in a hybrid war - a war nobody acknowledges - attacked in this case by a hybrid disinformation-biological weapon.

Total deniability.

Usual suspect.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
We come from a time when vaccination was the norm as the diseases around then could be killers. In our day I think everyone was queuing up for ANY vaccination rather than face Polio, Measles, Scarlet Fever etc, they never truly all went away but thanks to vaccines they were marginalised to a huge degree.

Nowdays, an adverse reaction to a vaccine gets proportionately more coverage and scares people off and gets them questioning the reasons why we vaccinate in a negative way.

EDIT : Yes, of course I was vaccinated and so was my daughter.

Indeed, being an Aircraft Engineer with BCal/BA we got offered everything not a month went by when we weren't standing out nurse's room (oh er) waiting for sharp scratch.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
And it's exactly that type of attitude that has got us to where we are today with MMR. At the time my kids got the single jabs the government was in full flow denial mode that there was any risk with the MMR but the original report hadn't been proven wrong - that came later. Lots of parents wanted the single jabs but couldn't afford them so those kids went unvaccinated thus creating a huge risk. Now I'm all for debunking false statements but surely in this case the most important issue is how to get kids vaccinated rather than the politics of 'MMR jabs are a risk', 'Oh no they're not' ?

Sorry, that doesn't make any sense. What politics were the government playing? Their view has been completely vindicated.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
People concerned about vaccines, are quite likely completely unaware of BPA.

you have to be joking, typical the anti-vax crowd are all over the BPA fear. it has a similar source in poor understanding of science and fear of "them" trying to control population or something (failing badly at it if they are).

and it does seem to be fear, though even expert sources perpetuating the story. main flaw in the story is that the BPA is used in polycarbonate plastic, a hard plastic used in things like windows, when most food containers are polyethylene or polypropylene. your "single use" water bottle wont contain BPA, its made from PET (polyethylene).

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Feel sorry for the kids whose parents are too stupid to get them vaccinated. Mainly because when I was little I caught either mumps or measles (not sure which ) and it gave my nerve damage which left me with a severe hearing loss in both ears. It's not just some itchy spots there are serious implications. Vaccinatio's weren't common when I was little but I sure wished they had been.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And it's exactly that type of attitude that has got us to where we are today with MMR. At the time my kids got the single jabs the government was in full flow denial mode that there was any risk with the MMR but the original report hadn't been proven wrong - that came later.

the original paper was always disputed, looking at a link between bowel disease and autism, and an inferred trigger from the MMR. it had no control group, wasnt reproduced or backed by other studies. groups of fearmongers latched on to it as evidence of causual link, and rather than correct them Wakefield revelled into the fame and built up the fear.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here