Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] ***Sussex CCC v Leicestershire CCC, LVCC Div2, Hove, 4-7 September 2018,10.30 KO's***

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Yes, a great shame. But might only be a blip as Leicestershire have actually "dominated" periods of this game and batting conditions remain good.

My favourite bit of commentary from the Leicestershire ****tard went something like this "Since being 49-9 Leicestershire have really dominated proceedings" :lolol:

They were north of 260 behind at that point of Sussex's second innings :nono: Just where do they find people this bad at reading a game.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My favourite bit of commentary from the Leicestershire ****tard went something like this "Since being 49-9 Leicestershire have really dominated proceedings" :lolol:

They were north of 260 behind at that point of Sussex's second innings :nono: Just where do they find people this bad at reading a game.

I remember virtually the whole way through the match Leicestershire had us right where we wanted them.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

He also went on and on about Sussex's "baffling" decision not to enforce the follow-on. This in a game where we won by 274 runs with a day and a bit to spare

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Who's the Sussex bowler who burst on to the England scene only to be lost in time after a short but impressive stint . (no peeking )

Tests 4 - Balls -1079 -Runs 569- Wickets 19-BBI 6-34- BBM 8-114-Ave 29.52- Econ 3.12- SR 56.7

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I suppose following Leicestershire around in recent years would be enough to send anyone doolally. Only ten wins in the last six championship seasons.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Mason Crane
Mason Crane is currently the highest ranked young cricketer "born and bred" in Sussex. His move to Hampshire CCC aged 14 is obviously regrettable from a Sussex CCC perspective but these things happen occasionally. Not every young player can be optimally developed and Mason's coaching relationship with Raj Maru was obviously influential in his journey.

If Mason, or another "Sussex born and bred" youngster of his generation, ultimately makes it as a moderately successful England Test match player (>10 caps) then they will become the FOURTH such player produced in the 131 year history of test cricket... quite a strike rate.

Edit: Sorry that should say "THIRD"... !!! :lolol:

The previous two are Albert Relf (13 caps 1905-1914) and Jim Parks Jnr. (46 caps 1954-1968)

My information is gleaned from the "notable Sussex cricketers" list on Wikipedia. If there is someone "born and bred in Sussex" who played double figures of tests for England, but is not on that list, then they need to be added to Albert and Jim...

Last edited:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

Brilliant! Yes, your quote definitely stood out as his high point - I couldn't quite believe what I was hearing...

I have avoided finding out his name but he was SO irritating. Interestingly he also told anecdotes about his time playing 2nd XI cricket, presumably as a professional, which illustrates just how being good at playing cricket doesn't always mean you understand the game very well.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Who's the Sussex bowler who burst on to the England scene only to be lost in time after a short but impressive stint . (no peeking )

Tests 4 - Balls -1079 -Runs 569- Wickets 19-BBI 6-34- BBM 8-114-Ave 29.52- Econ 3.12- SR 56.7

James Kirtley?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My information is gleaned from the "notable Sussex cricketers" list on Wikipedia. If there is someone "born and bred in Sussex" who played double figures of tests for England, but is not on that list, then they need to be added to Albert and Jim...

Maurice Tate 39 tests batting av of 25, bowling av of 26 did pretty well.

One notable record for Sussex-born test players is that we currently have the oldest living England player. Don Smith was 95 this summer.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yes , although not in a test he in my book took the best ever outfield catch iv'e ever seen in england colours , and as usual dumped by England far too soon .

His match winning spell v South Africa was a highlight, as was his michelle in the Natwest cup final at Lords :)

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
There is no mystery to the lack of England test players born and bred in Sussex.

Cricket in Sussex just does not operate in remotely the same way as it does in counties like Yorkshire, Lancashire, Nottinghamshire, Warwickshire, Middlesex, Surrey, etc .

Could you expand a bit on that? I'd be really interested in your take on it.

Jack Hackett

Jul 3, 2007
Ian Greig, the great Tony Greigs' brother? Definitely played for England when with Sussex, c1982?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Love the references to James Kirtley. He was a fellow student when I did my Level 2 coaching certificate and I was paired with him to comment on our bowling action. What do you say to someone who's played test cricket? (he was a really nice bloke, BTW, no Billy Big Bollocks from him)

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Northants are 141 for 6, so we can assume that Kent will win that one.

Warwickshire are 94/4 - so only about 100 ahead. So, a draw is likely there, unless there's some contrived outcome.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Maurice Tate 39 tests batting av of 25, bowling av of 26 did pretty well.

One notable record for Sussex-born test players is that we currently have the oldest living England player. Don Smith was 95 this summer.
Yes, of course. I had Maurice Tate originally. He is the third member of the pantheon of Sussex born and bred England players with 10 caps or more - and the only one of the three to be born in Brighton or Hove.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Could you expand a bit on that? I'd be really interested in your take on it.
There are lots of factors but they mainly trace back to the number of clubs and players in the catchment area. Models of sport development tend to, correctly in my view, follow pyramid type structures where the size of the base determines the viable heights achieved.

Where you have more clubs and more players then every step of the way is more competitive and it is ultimately this competition that creates the pressure to drive up standards and produce the diamonds.

It starts with the level of competition in junior cricket. In Sussex the standard is relatively low with children involved in representative cricket basically because they want to and can afford to. An "Eastern Area" trials days where they are looking to "select" a group of 20 or so boys for winter training, to reduce after Christmas to a group of 15, might not even attract 20 attendees...!! In Yorkshire (as I know one NSCer can testify from personal experience) a smilar situation would play out very, very differently.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Mason Crane is currently the highest ranked young cricketer "born and bred" in Sussex. His move to Hampshire CCC aged 14 is obviously regrettable from a Sussex CCC perspective but these things happen occasionally. Not every young player can be optimally developed and Mason's coaching relationship with Raj Maru was obviously influential in his journey.

If Mason, or another "Sussex born and bred" youngster of his generation, ultimately makes it as a moderately successful England Test match player (>10 caps) then they will become the FOURTH such player produced in the 131 year history of test cricket... quite a strike rate.

Edit: Sorry that should say "THIRD"... !!! :lolol:

The previous two are Albert Relf (13 caps 1905-1914) and Jim Parks Jnr. (46 caps 1954-1968)

Can we count David Sheppard? Born just outside the county in Reigate, but moved to Sussex as a child and went to school in Bognor......got to be close anyway!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here