Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Knockaert joins Fulham on initial one-year loan

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I suppose that's true, but still, £10M for the best winger in that league with a full two years on the deal seems low to me.

He’ll also be nearly 29. Which, funnily enough, is the same age as Delph, who has just gone to Everton for less than £10m. I’m pretty sure if Knocky was 23, had four years on his contract (and was less of a hothead) we’d be getting in excess of £15m for him.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Has he? Have they even agreed the deal yet, let alone asked him about it?

FWIW a loan makes sense as we're quite likely to be relegated and could then keep him for a promotion push. A future fee of £10M doesn't make much sense.

Well it seems not, ok. He's gone for now, allegedly.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
To me the Knocky debate is similar to the Hughton one.

Do you stick with someone who did very well for you 2 years ago, but has struggled since? Or do you take a calculated risk, and sign a manager and players who could, potentially, take you to the next level?

Yes, there is a chance it may not work, (although I don't think anyone who saw us get 1 point from those 5 winnable home games, will think getting a new manager in is a risk), but you have to move forward.

Difference being we didn't have 3 other managers at the same time who we could judge him against. We have had that many wingers at the same time and Knocky as proved at worst, the equal of them. Hardly a calculated risk, a totally bizarre transaction that has no upside to us at all. Please feel free to bounce when he flops at Fulham and we sign some flairmeister who creates and scores goals for fun for £15m odd. I won't hold my breath

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We'll obviously get an Attacking Central/Right Midfielder to replace Knocky.

Can't wait to see who it is.

Best of luck to AK at Fulham. Goes as a legend.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We'll obviously get an Attacking Central/Right Midfielder to replace Knocky.

Can't wait to see who it is.

Steve Alzate?

Really don’t think we will get anyone else in with Trossard seemingly taking Knocky’s squad place.

I’m hopeful that the club are righty focusing on a new Striker (and right back).

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I get what you're saying crookie, but I think we've seen the best of AK. Leicester only took a few months to realise he isn't a good top flight player. There is a chance that AJ and JL could improve next season, (I'm no fan of either, but they must be better than what we saw last season),and Trossard may already be a better player than Anthony.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Steve Alzate?

Really don’t think we will get anyone else in with Trossard seemingly taking Knocky’s squad place.

I’m hopeful that the club are righty focusing on a new Striker (and right back).

I'd be very happy if it is Alzate. I'd also be very happy if Băluţă is the CM addition.

Potter played Alzate further back in the Austria game, which surprised me.
However, things may have been different if AK hadn't been used as a right attacking midfielder, and Bissouma had been available.

A new right back and striker is just what we need - providing we also shake up the Pröpper-Stephens-Kayal trio.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Let’s offer them 10 million for Cairney and watch them tell us to **** off.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Make no mistake this guy is an Albion legend. Who knows what the deal is ,maybe a years loan fee,suits both parties. Not a huge fee, I know . Antony however IMHO ,was just so important in getting us to where we are .His value is priceless.......in our memories.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
I get what you're saying crookie, but I think we've seen the best of AK. Leicester only took a few months to realise he isn't a good top flight player. There is a chance that AJ and JL could improve next season, (I'm no fan of either, but they must be better than what we saw last season),and Trossard may already be a better player than Anthony.
They might well be. They couldn't show much less. If we assume Potter can get more out of them, why not Knocky too ? Seems arse about face. If we'd signed a proven quality attacking wide midfielder and were offered £20m up front for Knocky, I could get that. We haven't, and from the reports we aren't, hence I just can't see an upside barring a reduced wage bill but as we have one of the lowest in the league I wouldn't have thought that a priority. Building on and improving a woeful scoring/attacking season last year would be I'd have thought

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
As covered earlier in this very thread, Leicester offered Knockaert a new contract but he was behind RIYAD MAHREZ in the pecking order and wanted first team football, please stop perpetuating this drivel.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
He’ll also be nearly 29. Which, funnily enough, is the same age as Delph, who has just gone to Everton for less than £10m. I’m pretty sure if Knocky was 23, had four years on his contract (and was less of a hothead) we’d be getting in excess of £15m for him.

Incorrect. Knockaert is 27.
Some would say footballers an hit their peak at 28 years old.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Without Antony last season we would be in the Championship let’s not forget that. He pulls it out the bag because he’s a match winner his cross for Andone against Huddersfield and of course the winner against Palace 6 valuable points, for all the will in the world March won’t produce those moments. It’s a mistake to let him go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here