Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The 'Potter promotes youth players' fallacy

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Not an odd comment at all. Where's the evidence of any single one of the current Albion youth crop being within a country mile of being 'Premier League Ready'?

That’s not what you said. You said using youth players is a sign that recruitment has failed. Sure if you’re forced to use sub/standard players, but a) there is no sign we are going to do that and b) all evidence suggests that we’ve got a pretty good crop coming through given where we finished last year in the PL2

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Just putting it out there, but a lot of people on NSC and Twitter seem to think that Potter is a manager who likes to bring youth players into the senior squad and therefore we should expect to see U23s breaking into the squad/1st team next season.

From what I can see, in his previous clubs, he has had little choice other than to rely on motivating youth players. He may be an advocate for taking a risk and blooding young players for all I know, but to this point, it feels like he hasn't had a choice.

Brighton is the first club where he has had a fully developed first team squad that doesn't necessarily need youth players to fill the gaps. And he has a recruitment budget too. Not what he has had in the past.

So is he really a manager who loves bringing on youngsters, or has he previously been forced to (and of course has then publicly said that this is his preference)? I'm not convinced it is the former. And if you think he is, what makes you think that?

Everyone from TB down have said that this is the direction the club want to go in. & it's been evident for a long time with all of the developments in our infrastructure. Ashworth has talked about this very explicitly too, well before GP, and it is the reason DA is here.

These are the guys who have interviewed GP for the job, so they have probably had quite in depth conversations about where the club want to go, and I guess both GP and the club have found some alignment in how they want to work and what they want to achieve.

Conclusion, GP wants to develop and give experience to younger players.

Incidentally, although I think my logic is sound, I'm actually also pretty sure I've heard him talk about this stuff in interviews since taking the job. Look how many we have training with the first team, there is clear expectation from everything that has been said that some young players will get a chance this season if they are able to impress. And as you point out, we have a full squad, so it isn't out of neccessity.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
OP missing the point a little here.
We've hired more than Potter and his staff recently. It's the signing of Ashworth that ABSOLUTELY points towards a focus on youth development.

Absolutely this.

To appoint Ashworth who built his reputation on the success of the England youth teams, then appoint a guy with a reputation of managing these talents points to the evolution that Barber spoke of, it wont happen overnight, one or two may get an opportunity this season, they might not, but it is definitely the road we are going down, have been for a while tbh, its the right path too, when you look at the fees being banded about for centre backs, not to mention £20 million for young strikers in the championship with ONE good season behind them. No brainer

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Whether it's a big thing for him or not he can't be much worse at it than Hughton was.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Not an odd comment at all. Where's the evidence of any single one of the current Albion youth crop being within a country mile of being 'Premier League Ready'?

Problem is no one knows and no one ever will unless they are given some opportunity to show they are good enough. I’m not saying throw the entire U23s in at all but there clearly is some talent in that group and I don’t think it should be a admission of a failure of the recruitment team if a player comes in and breaks into the 1st team. It’s what academy’s are for at the end of the day. 95% will not get near the 1st team and they will be sold on at a profit hopefully. The few that do though may either push us on or will potentially be picked up by bigger clubs at bigger prices. Granted in the pressure cooker of the PL it seems a hard model to pull off but we shouldn’t be afraid of trying if the talents there

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That’s not what you said. You said using youth players is a sign that recruitment has failed. Sure if you’re forced to use sub/standard players, but a) there is no sign we are going to do that and b) all evidence suggests that we’ve got a pretty good crop coming through given where we finished last year in the PL2

Not even Aaron Connolly made it beyond the first team bench last season. I'd suggest our youth player starlets are a very long way off being PL Ready. For example, when will Chrjsyian Walton be considered PL Ready? Fine yoing keeper, but he's more likely to retire before he gets teusted with the no.1 slot.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
This. When the the Albion didn't have a pot to piss in at Withdean, the club had little option but to throw 'youth players' in at the deep end and hope for the best. No excuse for resorting to that at this level. Would be an admission of failure by the recruitment team and/or a sign that the club had run out of cash.

What a ridiculous statement. I normally agree with you but this is just utterly stupid.

It’s about being sustainable and not chasing a gold pot at the end of the rainbow [the Premier league] by sinking a much larger pot of diamonds in the process [long term financial footing of the club].

And to come back on your immediate post above this one:

Hughton DIDNT TRUST u23 players to even be in the first team match day squad until they had trained 30/40 times with the squad. That’s not exactly giving them a chance is it? That smacks of come train, listen, don’t question and then, maybe then you get to travel in the squad and not get used. It’s demoralising and frustrating.

Give them a chance and see what happens. None of us know if they’re good enough or ready until we try and CH wasn’t going to try. GP will. That’s good enough for me.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Not even Aaron Connolly made it beyond the first team bench last season. I'd suggest our youth player starlets are a very long way off being PL Ready. For example, when will Chrjsyian Walton be considered PL Ready? Fine yoing keeper, but he's more likely to retire before he gets teusted with the no.1 slot.

Hughton had no interest in giving them a try.
We came third in the U23 league. Was that just a fluke, or might it be possible we have decent young players?
White has gone to Leeds, Ostigard to St Pauli.

How do we know they are 'PL ready' until they're actually given a bloody chance?

We didn't think Brooks was 'PL ready' last summer. Nobody doubts his readiness now.

One or two of these players can be sensibly blooded in to the team this season.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

You could equally well ask where is the evidence that all of them, every single one of them, are not within a country mile of performing at lower/middle PL level.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Potter should also benefit from the amount of yoof players who spent most of last season training with the first team!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hughton had no interest in giving them a try.
We came third in the U23 league. Was that just a fluke, or might it be possible we have decent young players?
White has gone to Leeds, Ostigard to St Pauli.

How do we know they are 'PL ready' until they're actually given a bloody chance?

We didn't think Brooks was 'PL ready' last summer. Nobody doubts his readiness now.

One or two of these players can be sensibly blooded in to the team this season.

This. They had virtually nothing in terms of opportunities. Potter already seems to be making sure they are more involved (and his public utterings are pointing to greater involvement too) and it's obvious - and should be the case - the club want more from them than what CH was willing to try (ie nothing). Exciting times, accepting there will likely be some mistakes on the way. Will be very surprised if we don't see one or two youngsters in first team action early in the season. GP and DA between them should be well-placed to spot who is or isn't likely to be bale to make the step up, but at least someone might get a chance.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Whether it's a big thing for him or not he can't be much worse at it than Hughton was.

Well I suppose he could bring youth players through and we get relegated. Or we might stay up. Or we might play defensive football because that’s all we can afford to do. Or we might be really attractive and lose every week.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It's one thing to bring 'youth players' through in the Swedish third division or whatever, quite another thing to try that out in the results-based cauldron of the PL. It's a crash-and-burn policy that would see him either hailed as a genius or out of work by the end of Autumn.

One thing's for certain-there are quality players in the development squad and there will be more than 18 minutes gametime from them over the next 4 and a half years. We do not have a development squad full of Swedish Third Division youngsters.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
This. When the the Albion didn't have a pot to piss in at Withdean, the club had little option but to throw 'youth players' in at the deep end and hope for the best. No excuse for resorting to that at this level. Would be an admission of failure by the recruitment team and/or a sign that the club had run out of cash.

It’s a good point. Does TB want some of his money back now, wouldn’t blame him.

We are not investing in fees or wages to match our rivals. I really can’t see youth players filling in the gap at this stage.

West Ham have just spent £45m on one player, as they did last year - probably guaranteeing mid table or top half. We’re not in the league.

Our level is bottom six, and we’re already in a massive relegation scrap, whether we play youth or not.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It’s a good point. Does TB want some of his money back now, wouldn’t blame him.

We are not investing in fees or wages to match our rivals. I really can’t see youth players filling in the gap at this stage.

West Ham have just spent £45m on one player, as they did last year - probably guaranteeing mid table or top half. We’re not in the league.

Our level is bottom six, and we’re already in a massive relegation scrap, whether we play youth or not.

I'll hazard a guess Mr Bloom is just happy not to be shelling out cash.
Last season he came perilously close to opening his cheque book and has acted in a manner to suggest he'll not want a repeat performance.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I just want him to put the best 11 available players on the pitch. I don't care if they're 18 or 35.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's bloody common sense, hardly a revelatory post. How the frick it's already accrued 18 likes is quite something.

Probably because it's an eloquent retort to such a brain numbing opening post.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here