Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion sign Man City starlet

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Encouraging, he seems to be one of the better City youth players too - started regularly in their U23s last season at 18, so we're not picking up one of those cast offs. Is this a symptom of youth players at big clubs not being able to see themselves breaking through to the first team there? This thread is worth a quick read - slightly mixed opinions https://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/taylor-richards.337259/

Another central midfielder as well for the yoof. Does this mean we have loans lined up for Alzate/Baluta/Sanders/Molumby or are we finally integrating some of these lads into the first team?
Alzate/Baluta/Sanders/Molumbey/Taylor Richards in midfield ................

Right, so it's 4-5-1 or 3-5-2 this season then!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Nor am i - hope he’s brilliant and comes on with us - but realistically we have only a v few gaps for u23s, and given we want them to carry on their development it’s likely that many , if not most of our leading youngsters will be looking for loans in the next few weeks. The idea that Potter is going to blood anything more than 1-2 youngsters anywhere near the first team squad when he’s in still the market for an expensive experienced striker, a RB
To strengthen an already large adult squad is fanciful.

Under 21's can come into the side at any time, without being in the named 25 man squad, all it takes is a couple of injuries or a suspension and they could get their chance. I think it was in those circumstances, of injured players, that Rashford got into the first team for Man Utd.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Bit strange at 18 we’ve only tied him down to a two year deal.

Clearly he’s not a development squad signing - the language used by Potter and Ashworth suggests they’ve already got one eye on him in the first team.

If the boy proves to be the real deal we could lose him on a free before he’s even turned 21.

Surely there must be an option to extend built into his contract?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats the longest contract you can do at that age thems the rules.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Probably been signed for about 2 million but there will no doubt be a buy back clause if he becomes any good.

Is it really a signing that is anything to get excited about?

Would rather spend £25 million on a striker than waste it on all these silly small deals on trying to develop players that never happens.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
One of these will hopefully be amazing and worth a fortune to us .

Gut feeling is if we are seeing a lot of these kids in the team then we will be back in the champ next year

Do hope we get a new RB though

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Leo has gone on loan back to Germany

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Under 21's can come into the side at any time, without being in the named 25 man squad, all it takes is a couple of injuries or a suspension and they could get their chance. I think it was in those circumstances, of injured players, that Rashford got into the first team for Man Utd.

Yes. I know. But Potter also has to balance his squad between keeping 25 or thereabouts first teamers who will all want game time, youngsters/u23s who need to develop and play regularly either against fellow u23s or in adult teams. Even with injuries and suspensions then opportunities , whilst looking more likely than under Chris, are still going to be limited. imo anyway. One small example but its true all over the pitch and will get worse given we are likely to make 2-3 more signings.
How do you explain to someone like Andone , who isn't getting any game time, that he's still out of the 18 even though we've had an injury or suspension or loss of form because Gyokeres or Connolly are ahead of you ?
Not sure he's going to want to hang around for long or take it too well. . Thats the challenge that Potter has and realistically he's not going to be packing the 18 with u23s. And i'm not sure he should. Someone like Connolly has so far had 20 minutes of league football. In L1. Giving him his Premier League debut would be quite the leap for everyone.
Especially when you might have £50m worth of forwards potentially kicking their heels on the bench or in the stands.

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Yes. I know. But Potter also has to balance his squad between keeping 25 or thereabouts first teamers who will all want game time, youngsters/u23s who need to develop and play regularly either against fellow u23s or in adult teams. Even with injuries and suspensions then opportunities , whilst looking more likely than under Chris, are still going to be limited. imo anyway. One small example but its true all over the pitch and will get worse given we are likely to make 2-3 more signings.
How do you explain to someone like Andone , who isn't getting any game time, that he's still out of the 18 even though we've had an injury or suspension or loss of form because Gyokeres or Connolly are ahead of you ?
Not sure he's going to want to hang around for long or take it too well. . Thats the challenge that Potter has and realistically he's not going to be packing the 18 with u23s. And i'm not sure he should. Someone like Connolly has so far had 20 minutes of league football. In L1. Giving him his Premier League debut would be quite the leap for everyone.

I think that's right. I must admit that I'm always keen to see young players get a chance in the team but when it comes to the crunch - and that means pretty well every week in the Premier League - Potter will have to pick the team most likely to get points and that will probably mean experience and know-how over youth and promise.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Especially when you might have £50m worth of forwards potentially kicking their heels on the bench or in the stands.

Connolly needs a decent L1 or Champ loan. He's still very young and inexperienced.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here