Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I don't understand how Leavers can see the endless news like this and not go "oh ****, we've been conned."

The cognitive dissonance genuinely hurts my brain. Imagine watching people go out wearing just shorts when it's pissing it down with rain outside - day after day. The weather keeps getting worse, and they keep going out like that, pretending that it's sunny.

That's how this makes me feel.

That's a really good simile and I feel the same. It is a tragic case of mass self-delusion orchestrated by self serving manipulative opinion-formers.....

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X13U876z6Go make what you want out of that .............BYE BYE EU
regards
DR

?

It doesn't tell us anything we don't know.

Today MPs have stopped a suspension of parliament. They will not allow us to leave without a deal.

The current deal cannot be re-negotiated.

So the only way we can leave on October 31st is with the present deal on offer (maybe with some cosmetic tweaks to shut up the flag waving tin hatted loons)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Even the previous most senior civil servent in charge of planning for Brexit is on record as saying nobody knows what will really happen with a no deal.

And yet again ..... wrong .... it was Philip Rycroft I was referring to.

Would that be the same Philip Rycroft that said

“I think everybody should be worried about what happens in a no-deal situation. We would be taking a step into the unknown.”

“The rational outcome over the next few months is to get a deal because that is overwhelmingly in the economic interest of both the EU and the UK.”

He told the BBC’s Panorama programme that leaving with no deal, which is one of the options favoured by the Tory leadership contender Boris Johnson, would be “fraught with difficulty”.

“That 16,000 civil servants currently working on Brexit doesn’t mean there won’t be an impact from Brexit, and particularly a no-deal Brexit, because that is a very major change and it would be a very abrupt change to our major trading relationship.

“It’s not in the UK’s interest to have no deal. It’s not in the EU’s interest to have a no-deal.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48901055

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-no-deal-risk-richard-rycroft-civil-servant-bbc-panorama-a8992256.html

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/08/no-deal-brexit-would-be-step-into-unknown-says-former-bureaucrat

Quite an interesting view on his resignation and leaving DExEU back on March 31st as well.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/foreign-affairs/brexit/news/102350/government-chaos%E2%80%99-brexit-department-boss-quit-eu

???

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

“I think everybody should be worried about what happens in a no-deal situation. We would be taking a step into the unknown.”

“The rational outcome over the next few months is to get a deal because that is overwhelmingly in the economic interest of both the EU and the UK.”

He told the BBC’s Panorama programme that leaving with no deal, which is one of the options favoured by the Tory leadership contender Boris Johnson, would be “fraught with difficulty”.

“That 16,000 civil servants currently working on Brexit doesn’t mean there won’t be an impact from Brexit, and particularly a no-deal Brexit, because that is a very major change and it would be a very abrupt change to our major trading relationship.

“It’s not in the UK’s interest to have no deal. It’s not in the EU’s interest to have a no-deal.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-no-deal-risk-richard-rycroft-civil-servant-bbc-panorama-a8992256.html

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/08/no-deal-brexit-would-be-step-into-unknown-says-former-bureaucrat

Quite an interesting view on his resignation as well

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/foreign-affairs/brexit/news/102350/government-chaos%E2%80%99-brexit-department-boss-quit-eu

???

Thank you for confirming that he said the results of a no deal are unknown. Despite your claims and posts.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
As always, these mediocrities know exactly what they DON'T want :rolleyes:

I think it's relatively clear from previous votes that the majority in the house of commons is with remain. However, none of them have the balls or the influence to do anything about it. It's inevitable that a No Deal/ May's withdrawal agreement or Remain referendum is the only way out of this.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I don't understand how Leavers can see the endless news like this and not go "oh ****, we've been conned."

The cognitive dissonance genuinely hurts my brain. Imagine watching people go out wearing just shorts when it's pissing it down with rain outside - day after day. The weather keeps getting worse, and they keep going out like that, pretending that it's sunny.

That's how this makes me feel.

It is just beyond belief, beyond pathetic. Just best just ignore everything until the dinosaurs in the shires have made their decision

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Thank you for confirming that he said the results of a no deal are unknown. Despite your claims and posts.

and particularly a no-deal Brexit, because that is a very major change and it would be a very abrupt change to our major trading relationship.

Even the previous most senior civil servent in charge of planning for Brexit is on record as saying nobody knows what will really happen with a no deal.

Well he seems to have a fair idea of some of the implications of 'no deal' despite you claiming 'nobody knows'

I think you are suffering from a complaint that I'm worried may be contagious. It seems a common issue amongst leave voters to only read the first line of any article or post :facepalm:

(Nice bit of whataboutism, but whatever, 'no deal' still isn't going to happen :wink:)

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Thank you for confirming that he said the results of a no deal are unknown.

It's a bit like Mallory and Irvine climbing up Everest in 1924 into the unknown. Might be okay, might not, but have to wait and see and believe in it. Some rudimentary oxygen tanks, a tweed jacket or two, a pair of googles, warm gloves, a woolly hat and some sturdy walking boots, it's just like all the no deal preparations we've made - I'm sure it'll be fine.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's a bit like Mallory and Irvine climbing up Everest in 1924 into the unknown. Might be okay, might not, but have to wait and see and believe in it. Some rudimentary oxygen tanks, a tweed jacket or two, a pair of googles, warm gloves, a woolly hat and some sturdy walking boots, it's just like all the no deal preparations we've made - I'm sure it'll be fine.

But we have had a dredger at a disused port for a couple of days and 80 trucks and a bin lorry drove down the M20, so it's not as if we are completely unprepared.

All we have left to do before 31st October is the NI customs posts, lorry parks at the ports, IT infrastructure for the new systems required, the new systems (just the requirements, design, build and test stages), the staff to run it, training the staff to run it (and a few other things that have probably been forgotten). But I'm sure it's all in hand :laugh:

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It is just beyond belief, beyond pathetic. Just best just ignore everything until the dinosaurs in the shires have made their decision

You have to understand that these people are thickos.
But even though they are borderline lunatics they know it's wrong and disastrous for this country.
It's just that they are so entrenched now that they just will not admit they have got it totally wrong.
Take that idiot from Weatherspoons for example, typical remainer, a complete bell end.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

Quite an interesting view on his resignation and leaving DExEU back on March 31st as well.

???

and particularly a no-deal Brexit, because that is a very major change and it would be a very abrupt change to our major trading relationship.

Well he seems to have a fair idea of some of the implications of 'no deal' despite you claiming 'nobody knows'

I think you are suffering from a complaint that I'm worried may be contagious. It seems a common issue amongst leave voters to only read the first line of any article or post :facepalm:

(Nice bit of whataboutism, but whatever, 'no deal' still isn't going to happen :wink:)

You clearly skimmed over this part "We would be taking a step into the unknown.” - i.e. what happens is unknown. This conversation started with me saying I didn't know what would happen under no deal and then you screaming like a big girl 'What' 'After everything I've posted you don't know?' - I then pointed out even the experts didn't know ..... now you come up with all this whataboutery. Just admit, nobody KNOWS what a no deal will do and that it is currently the legal default ..... that must be simple enough for even you ?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
But we have had a dredger at a disused port for a couple of days and 80 trucks and a bin lorry drove down the M20, so it's not as if we are completely unprepared.

All we have left to do before 31st October is the NI customs posts, lorry parks at the ports, IT infrastructure for the new systems required, the new systems (just the requirements, design, build and test stages), the staff to run it, training the staff to run it (and a few other things that have probably been forgotten). I'm sure it's all in hand :laugh:

I'm sure it is too. It's all just a cunning plan, you see - we mustn't show our hand too soon and we've obviously got all the replacement trade deals in place and passed all the other no deal legislation in parliament too, oh...........

Never mind Mallory and Irvine, it's a little bit like Scott of The Antarctic too. He never wrote it in his diary, but I bet having found that flag already there at The South Pole and the hellish journey back, he'd wished he'd just done what Amundsen did and took just dogs like Nansen told him too - the Norwegian option - would have been so much easier................

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You clearly skimmed over this part "We would be taking a step into the unknown.” - i.e. what happens is unknown. This conversation started with me saying I didn't know what would happen under no deal and then you screaming like a big girl 'What' 'After everything I've posted you don't know?' - I then pointed out even the experts didn't know ..... now you come up with all this whataboutery. Just admit, nobody KNOWS what a no deal will do and that it is currently the legal default ..... that must be simple enough for even you ?

As has been pointed out to you numerous times throughout this thread all sorts of people know what will happen in the event of 'no deal' in their industries, their professions and their areas of commerce and expertise. It's the knowledge of what would happen and the fact that all these people know that very few, if any of these issues has been addressed is why I can say with complete confidence.

WE WILL NOT LEAVE WITH 'NO DEAL' ON OR BEFORE OCTOBER 31ST.

Just like I did Before the March 31st 'No deal' and the April 12th 'No deal'.

All this whataboutery on what people know or don't know, has exactly the same effect as my opinion on what people know or don't know. None whatsoever. We will only find out on October 31st, like we did on April 12th and March 31st, both of which (I don't know whether I have mentioned it), It seems I was completely correct about.

The only thing that isn't decided about October 31st as yet, is how I'm going to celebrate my hat-trick :wave:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Anyone who has anything but contempt for Boris needs to give their head a wobble

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Sometimes you really need to stop thinking you know it all.. Even the previous most senior civil servent in charge of planning for Brexit is on record as saying nobody knows what will really happen with a no deal. Yet somehow some two bit poster on a football forum does ??

And please show me where I've even hinted Johnson has the answer - I'm sure you'll be able to with your skillful use of the search function that you love so much.

And still you can't accept that as things currently stand, the legal default is that we leave with no deal. Despite the EU saying this, the UK governmemt saying this, every expert commentator saying this, you, some retired small business owner says it's not the case :facepalm:

Like it. :thumbsup:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
As has been pointed out to you numerous times throughout this thread all sorts of people know what will happen in the event of 'no deal' in their industries, their professions and their areas of commerce and expertise. It's the knowledge of what would happen and the fact that all these people know that very few, if any of these issues has been addressed is why I can say with complete confidence.

WE WILL NOT LEAVE WITH 'NO DEAL' ON OR BEFORE OCTOBER 31ST.

Just like I did Before the March 31st 'No deal' and the April 12th 'No deal'.

All this whataboutery on what people know or don't know, has exactly the same effect as my opinion on what people know or don't know. None whatsoever. We will only find out on October 31st, like we did on April 12th and March 31st, both of which (I don't know whether I have mentioned it), It seems I was completely correct about.

The only thing that isn't decided about October 31st as yet, is how I'm going to celebrate my hat-trick :wave:

Changing your tune slightly then .... you previously berated me for accusing you of saying a no deal wasn't possible and your response was that it was possible and you'd never stated that. Now you say it isn't happening. Much like your 'predictions' your statements change very subtley as time progresses in the aim of you trying to make yourself look right.

And STILL you haven't admitted that the current default legally is to leave without a deal. You seem to avoid this point every time.

Oh, and still waiting for you to backup your statement that I think BJ has the answer .... you can't can you ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Changing your tune slightly then .... you previously berated me for accusing you of saying a no deal wasn't possible and your response was that it was possible and you'd never stated that. Now you say it isn't happening. Much like your 'predictions' your statements change very subtley as time progresses in the aim of you trying to make yourself look right.

And STILL you haven't admitted that the current default legally is to leave without a deal. You seem to avoid this point every time.

I have always agreed 'no deal' is possible, but have always said that it won't happen because there has been no preparation.

And of course 'no deal' is the default, just like every leasehold property defaults to the freeholder. (That doesn't happen either).

Have to go to dinner, it's been emotional :thumbsup:

Jan 30, 2008
I have always agreed 'no deal' is possible, but have always said that it won't happen because there has been no preparation.

And of course 'no deal' is the default, just like every leasehold property defaults to the freeholder. (That doesn't happen either).

Have to go to dinner, it's been emotional :thumbsup:

Bore off zzzzzzzzz
Regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here