Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "why can't we sign tried and tested Premier League footballers"

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The club can lose £105m over three years...and made a profit of £12m in 2018. Having said that Sir Tone has underwritten more than enough losses whilst in the Championship so should not be expected to repeat the generosity in the future.

This. And thanks for posting. A counterweight to all the madshit I have to plough through, when I'm not listening to obscure music.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Do you have that wage ceiling as fact? It’s my understanding that we already have a couple of players who are £60k+ a week. However to make the next step up, so the wages go up too. Who might be our first £100k a week player?

I'm old; I can remember the headlines when Johnny Haynes became the first £100 a week player!:ohmy::ohmy:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Unless we start playing and selling our own developed players coming through the academy we can’t hope to make enough money to buy or pay for recognised superstars. I suspect that one of the reasons CH was sacked is that TB hadn’t seen enough of our young players given the opportunity. In the short term, therefore, we are relying on cheaper imports from overseas and hoping they will keep our heads above water. The club are spending lots of money on player development (maybe seen as a TB gamble by some) but it’s the model that TB thinks will bear fruit in the end. In the old days you could pop into the Goldstone and see the reserves and how players are coming along (remember Wardy?) - not quite so easy to follow the u23s which is a shame because if you love your club, you like to follow all aspects of it, not just the first team.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
The club can lose £105m over three years...and made a profit of £12m in 2018. Having said that Sir Tone has underwritten more than enough losses whilst in the Championship so should not be expected to repeat the generosity in the future.

Let's be fair though even if he decided to go right to the £105m limit, in this market it'll be what, 3 good players tops with wages included or one top class signing? Risky in the extreme.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm sure I read that the PL has just abandoned it's version of FFP. Maybe I misread it, though.
I remembered incorrectly. It seems it is Short Term Cost Control which has gone / is going, not FFP.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Irrelevant!! If you're doing your job for £35k a year and someone offers to put a 0 on the end of that for you, you're not going to say "no thanks, I can survive on £50k - just pay me that."

If I was on £35K a year (I wish!) and somebody offered me ten times as much, I'd grab it like a shot. If, however, I was getting £35K a week and was happy with my job, circumstances and location, the lure of extra money would be much less powerful.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Many will dismiss this but I think there's a certain sort of player that buys into the whole TB, PB #TOGETHER strategy and those that just go to the club that pays the most money. Those that buy into the club, chairman etc are, I feel, more likely to be team players and less disruptive or precious. I'd say they are more likely to play for the team badge on the front of the shirt rather than just the name on the back. There may be a very good reason we have a salary cap beyond the obvious budgetary reasons.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
If I was on £35K a year (I wish!) and somebody offered me ten times as much, I'd grab it like a shot. If, however, I was getting £35K a week and was happy with my job, circumstances and location, the lure of extra money would be much less powerful.

I understand from where you're coming, but would you be so happy to sacrifice if you only had, say, 7 years of your career left?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Even funnier when they have signed Matt Taggert for 12million, Saints and Bmuff will be laughing all the way to the bank. On the plus side villa should be dogshit at the back next season.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Yeah: he's always been massively overvalued. Not sure what Villa are thinking there. How much was Bernardo, in comparison?
But there are many, many, quality top division footballers that we could attract if we were so inclined.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Given that we signed Shane Duffy for £4m when he was 24 (vs. £26m for Mings at 26) - That's a big difference in value.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Don't be silly, it doesn't work like that!

If you were homeless and someone offered you a job in a call centre on 20k a year as a team leader, would you turn down a job on 200k a year (and the rest) as an executive for a multi national?

And if someone then offered you £2m a year as chairman, you'd.....?

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
A player who has had 1 full season (35 games after just 7 games before that) has just sold for £50m to Man U. He's the sixth-most expensive defender of all time and the most expensive English player who was uncapped at the time of transfer

If players are going for that sort of money when relatively unproven, is it any wonder we'd look abroad for better value for money and on players with better first team experience :shrug:

The difference between Wan Bissaka and Mings is that the former IS going to be a very, very good player, and the latter is a muscle-bound donkey

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I understand from where you're coming, but would you be so happy to sacrifice if you only had, say, 7 years of your career left?

I might well consider that the £12M I would trouser in those seven years would be enough to be getting on with, yes.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don't be silly, it doesn't work like that!

If you were homeless and someone offered you a job in a call centre on 20k a year as a team leader, would you turn down a job on 200k a year (and the rest) as an executive for a multi national?

Don't be stupid! If I was homeless and unemployed of course I would welcome a £20K a year job; if I was on £20K a year and somebody offered me £200K a year, I'd grab it.

If I was comfortably earning a couple of million or more every year, I was happy in my job, and my family were happy and settled, the inducement of an extra million would not have the same appeal.

And if someone then offered you £2m a year as chairman, you'd.....?
If I was already on £2M a year, doing a job I loved, why would I accept that offer? I wouldn't be that stupid.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here