Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter and the ‘Together’ ethos

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I’m not sure why everyone seemed to fixate on what Hughton said about opposing teams last season, all the “these are a good team” “and our level” jibes are wearing a bit thin.

I am not sure I can recall hearing any manager, pre match, saying that the opponents are shit - what matters and always has, is what the manager says to the players, behind closed doors.

None of us know what that was!

I don’t really think it’s what CH actually said, I would expect the manager to be diplomatic in public. It’s because we then went out and played liked we were scared of every side we were up against and the players believed the opposition were much better than themselves.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Maybe Potter will talk more about us than bigging up the opposition and make pre match press conferences interesting again. In fairness to Gus he was always worth a listen even if he pissed me off with what he said

I’ve now boringly gone through Wales Online archives and can reassure you Icy that Potter is just as good at bigging up the opposition in pre match interviews as Hughton.

As I said before this really has to be the most ridiculous thing to be irked with Hughton about.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Of course it’s early doors but I am really liking all the things Potter has been saying in the media and on the club website so far. Using a lot of ‘we’ and ‘us’ when he speaks about himself and the club, as well as continuing the ‘together’ ethos that perhaps got a little bit lost when things got patchy last year.

No doubt the walk is more important than the talk, and we’ll soon get a chance to judge that, but everything so far sounds good and seems a bit more than the usual cliche diatribe from new managers.

As GP as said, making the Amex a fortress again is imperative, even if we won just one 2 of those important home games in the final stretch last season things would have been comfortable and perhaps CH would still be here (although it seems his sacking went deeper than the final results).

Anyone else impressed or am I just easily pleased?

I totally agree. But having read about him and his background, career to date, qualifications and so on, everything seems to FIT and I believe it's all genuine.

He will be good at motivating people and getting the best out of them. It may all go horribly wrong, but I have a feeling we'll be ok.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I don’t really think it’s what CH actually said, I would expect the manager to be diplomatic in public. It’s because we then went out and played liked we were scared of every side .

No . It’s because laughably people actually think the two are connected. I mean come on., and every manager does it anyway including Potter .
It really has to be the most ludicrous explanation for Hughton,s flaws as as a manager.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
No . It’s because laughably people actually think the two are connected. I mean come on., and every manager does it anyway including Potter .
It really has to be the most ludicrous explanation for Hughton,s flaws as as a manager.

The good news is, that the Hughton critics will soon shut up when they realise the team is still playing to avoid relegation as they have been over the last two years and will be until relegated.
It’s our level - unless we invest big - it’s just a fact

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The good news is, that the Hughton critics will soon shut up when they realise the team is still playing to avoid relegation as they have been over the last two years and will be until relegated.

No it isn't.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I believe as TB does the squad is better than what we witnessed last season, the belief was drained from the players especially in the run in. We often played well until we conceded then heads dropped for some reason, I can only think the way CH set the team up they knew they had little chance of getting back in the game let alone win it. Obviously time will tell and I’m expecting some decent football with GP in charge.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’ve now boringly gone through Wales Online archives and can reassure you Icy that Potter is just as good at bigging up the opposition in pre match interviews as Hughton.

As I said before this really has to be the most ridiculous thing to be irked with Hughton about.

I believe I said the three managers irked or bored me, not just CH. We’ll see with Potter, I’m not holding my breath though. I quite enjoyed Oscar’s press conferences

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

No problem calling out Hughton , he had a difficult season last year to say the least and there’s lots of factors to explain that - but arguing the players didn’t perform because of his pre match press conference or because he didn’t say “we” enough !! And that Potter is somehow different in that regard (clue: he isn’t ) is frankly ludicrous.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Really quite excited for this coming season mainly because with Chris still at the helm you pretty much knew how we'd set up and play. With GP in charge I don't think any of us know how he'll go but the sounds he's making are that we are going to take a more offensive approach. Will he go two up top, a back 3 as some have suggested - who knows, but I'm genuienly excited to see someone else have a go with different ideas.

Hopefully the likes of Andone, Ali J, Hemed, and Locadia will all benefit from a clean slate and new management style. Bring it on. Really looking forward to our first game at Watford and hopefully a different outcome to last season!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
We have had Hyppia who was just plain boring to listen to and CH who said the same thing in every pre match interview, which also made it mostly boring. Before that we had Gus who touted himself at most of them :smile:

Maybe Potter will talk more about us than bigging up the opposition and make pre match press conferences interesting again. In fairness to Gus he was always worth a listen even if he pissed me off with what he said

What actually matters is how we perform though so I guess it’s all just bollocks anyway.

Nailed

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
True but the hope is we play a bit more exciting football. In theory no reason we can't play like Watford, Bournemouth or dare I say Palace. Unfortunately I'm not convinced we have the players to do it and Hughton just did the best with what we have.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

So everybody who has criticised CH thinks we won't be playing to avoid relegation this year? These generalisations are comical.

Never been much of a critic myself since I have a pragmatic viewpoint, but I have friends who have been/are. They have no illusions as to where we are as a club.

The club lives on, I really wish we could all just look back fondly and move the **** on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here