Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Percy Tau - SIGNED on a 4 year deal - The Lion Returns. RRROOOAAAARRRRR

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I watched the match today. Poor game and hard to judge him in 39° heat. Talented, good dead ball player, but may lack physique for English game.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If SA do well in this tournament, does Percy meet the requirements to play for us?

I believe it depends on whether the level of goodness pushes them into the top 75 teams in he world ranking?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I believe it depends on whether the level of goodness pushes them into the top 75 teams in he world ranking?

I thought I read somewhere that it had to be top 50?

Looking at that table, I started wondering how we managed to get Tomer Hemed (Israel are at no. 82); it turns out that Hemed's mother was Polish, so he has a Polish passport. Never knew that before................

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I thought I read somewhere that it had to be top 50?

Looking at that table, I started wondering how we managed to get Tomer Hemed (Israel are at no. 82); it turns out that Hemed's mother was Polish, so he has a Polish passport. Never knew that before................

Yep - top 50. Corrected above.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Yep - top 50. Corrected above.

Well, there is a points based exceptions system through which you can be granted a work permit. This is what we used for Izquierdo, as he had not played enough games for Colombia to qualify automatically at that point.

You get points for such things as winning domestic titles and playing in continental competitions.

I suspect we will be looking to loan him to a Europa League team this coming season and try for the points method. Wouldnt surprise me if Standard Liege or KV Mechelen took a gamble on him, given that he was the standout player in Belgium's second tier last season - other Belgian clubs must be aware of him and there's no benefit to us to have him farting about with USG any longer.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Morocco just scored in the last minute against SA.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Sports Witness Report (Yeah I know)
"Bought by Brighton & Hove Albion from Mamelodi Sundowns FC for just under £3m, Percy Tau was quickly sent to Royale Union Saint-Gilloise in Belgium’s second tier to get used to European football.

It didn’t take long for the 25-year-old to have an impact, as the forward enjoyed himself thoroughly, forming a very deadly attacking duo with Youssoufou Niakaté.

Scoring 13 goals and picking up 13 assists in 35 appearances in all competitions, Tau thrived under Luka Elsner, the new coach over at Amiens SC in Ligue 1.

In fact, the Slovenian manager enjoyed working with the Brighton loanee so much that he would like to do so again next season in France, according to Soccer Link.

It’s said Amiens are ‘very interested’ in the South Africa international, who is a direct request from Elsner to bolster the attack at his new club.

There’s no more information than that, meaning it isn’t pointed out whether any transfer potentially taking Tau to France would be a loan or a permanent one.

Our guess will be the former, but if Amiens can promise the Seagulls a profit either straight away or down the line, maybe they’ll take it while they can."

What I want to know is would this bring him any closer to a european passport?
Or would there be extra points towards his work permit if he played in the higher league?
Any ideas?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Sports Witness Report (Yeah I know)
"..."

What I want to know is would this bring him any closer to a european passport?
Or would there be extra points towards his work permit if he played in the higher league?
Any ideas?

I assume this is why Naylor tweeted this earlier:-

[TWEET]1147146081035309056[/TWEET]

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
From part of bbc’s Text commentary....0/0 HT

Percy Tau hits it left-footed and Mohamed Elshenawy makes a good save to his right to prevent the ball from nestling into the top corner.

That was some strike by the number 19.

Percy Tau is pulling the strings once again and he slides a neat through ball forward to Thembinkosi Lorch, but Mohamed Elshenawy is quick off his line to snuff out the threat.

South Africa win a free-kick just outside the Egyptian box and the impressive Percy Tau is stood over the ball...

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If he was ready for the Premier League standard, could we bring him back this season?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here