Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Which is better

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why would someone on a limited income use petrol/diesel to go from Haywards Heath to Portslade or Shoreham just for meat?

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
A bit out of town, but Hutchins in Partridge Green is amazing.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Somebody should move the West Sussex sign on the Old Shoreham Road at the Kingston Lane lights then. There was me thinking all these years that the riff-raff were all that side of KL :)

Yeah it’s always been a bit of mystery as to the placings of some of those signs...
I’m sure some bright spark will enlighten us.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
If anyone gets to Malpass pick up their Big Daddy steak. Massiiiiiiiiiiive
As I've never heard of Wicklendens I've never been but since Malpass closed in Brighton I'll give them a try next time.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
Wickendens is fantastic value and quality.

Southwick is in west sussex., The east / west sussex border on the Old Shoreham road is just past the garage / garden centre. Kingston lane is the border between Southwick and Shoreham

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Malpass is okay. Won a few things from there in the Waterside meat raffle. Passable. Good for bbq’s but not for fine dining imo. Just across the road is Lidl which I’ve found to be excellent quality for most of their meat.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Southwick is in west sussex., The east / west sussex border on the Old Shoreham road is just past the garage / garden centre. Kingston lane is the border between Southwick and Shoreham

I believe the twittern up to the Downs is the border between us and them (and, if I remember rightly, down to fishersgate halt)

Last edited:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
As I've never heard of Wicklendens I've never been but since Malpass closed in Brighton I'll give them a try next time.

Malpas Is still open in Brighton, went there on Saturday,

They have a butcher on site now who will cut steaks etc.. rather than being pre-packed.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Trust you to suddenly pipe up as you obviously have no one to creep around as it is close season. I think that you will find Fishersgate is an area of Portslade similarly I would suggest that Southwick and Shoreham as closely linked.

WHAT? You think that Southwick is an area of Shoreham-by-Sea? Or vice versa? I've called you out on some of your shite in your time, but THAT??? :eek:

Anyway, to answer your question, I'd say Wickenden Meats is the better of the two

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
There's only one way to find out....

Z0SLTCB.jpg

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean

Malpass in Brighton has remained open. They are re-vamping store and having an onsite butchers.

As for the original question, I shop at both regularly. Wickenden win hands down on Steaks, burgers etc. Malpass works out great value buying the larger packs of things such as cheese / bacon. We also buy trays of chicken breast / thigh and freeze. Malpass sausages are good and much more reasonable if you are having a BBQ but flavors are more limited than Wickenden offer.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I have tried Malpass and intend to try Wickendens this week but thought NSC regulars may have already tried both and formed an opinion..

Am the opposite... Wickendens is across the road for me so easy to use. Good quality, good value. Generally impressed. Tend to use for those special occasion buys... big BBQ, Xmas, etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here