Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Davy Propper to Ajax for 21m

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't think that's how fans will see it. Fans don't like seeing us lose, so if we're passing the ball around, trying to attack, and then get beaten, fans will soon get fed up.

Up until Christmas, we were playing our standard solid style. It wasn't exciting, but we were getting results and the fans liked it. We then changed to a more attacking style and fans liked it at first, even though we lost. Losing soon got boring though. The fans will say it's our play style they got fed up with, but the truth is it was the losing.
I got very fed up losing to Burnley, Southampton, Bournemouth AND Cardiff.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Up until Christmas, we were playing our standard solid style. It wasn't exciting, but we were getting results and the fans liked it. We then changed to a more attacking style and fans liked it at first, even though we lost. Losing soon got boring though. The fans will say it's our play style they got fed up with, but the truth is it was the losing.

Do you really think Hughton 'bowed' to fan pressure for more attacking football? That said I don't really remember must dissent from fans during the games first half of the season to be more attacking or whatever. So maybe he was reading NSC?

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I don't think that's how fans will see it. Fans don't like seeing us lose, so if we're passing the ball around, trying to attack, and then get beaten, fans will soon get fed up.

Nail on the head. I'm optimistic for Potter, but cautiously so. Our fans have somehow got into their heads that we have a right to progress every season - and that we'll do it playing passing football, taking points off the big 6 away from home, with a 20 goal striker up front. Anything less than tangible, observable progress will garner little support. The "I'd rather play good football and lose" mantra is cheap rhetoric, people will turn on a sixpence if we're passing it around beautifully but still getting dicked like Fulham and Huddersfield did. Then all the talk will be "results are more important". Its the fickle nature of football fans, the same at every club and we are no different.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Not bothered, really.
Good on the ball and plays a tough role, but contributes nothing to the scoresheet.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Interesting to compare some of these comments to those Southampton fans were saying about Tadic before his move. He hasn’t done badly has he?

Propper offers so much yet some fans are writing him off, it’s staggering. Last season he was the one who found the very few forward runs we had, he had no chance this season because in the second half of the season there were basically none.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
(i think) Albion haven't sold a first choice player now since Ulloa - 5 long years ago.
What does that tell you about their desire and ability to keep hold of their best players ?

Or maybe no one wants our rubbish :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
For 20 million, would we be able to sign a player as good as Propper if not better? I doubt it.. I wouldn’t sell.

You can't keep a player if he wants away.....months of sulking and disruption to the squad - take the money.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting to compare some of these comments to those Southampton fans were saying about Tadic before his move. He hasn’t done badly has he?

Propper offers so much yet some fans are writing him off, it’s staggering. Last season he was the one who found the very few forward runs we had, he had no chance this season because in the second half of the season there were basically none.

It will be a real shame to lose him. He’s spent two seasons playing in a style that clearly doesn’t suit his attributes. We get a manager who may play him as he should be played, and before we get a chance to find out, it looks like he’s probably off.

Here’s one fan who won’t be offering to drive him to the Netherlands

I can live in hope that he’d like to stay but I really doubt he will if Ajax are serious about buying him. If he wants out and we don’t let him go, that’s unlikely to turn out well either.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Why would he want to give up playing in the Prem to go back to the Dutch league?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Pröpper knew of the Ajax interest in March - and the club will have known about it as well. If he has told them he wants the move, then he will go and we will have had a plan in place for 2 months to replace him.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Our fans have somehow got into their heads that we have a right to progress every season - and that we'll do it playing passing football, taking points off the big 6 away from home, with a 20 goal striker up front.

I think you'll find that TB, having thrown £120m at it since getting promoted, has "got it into his head" that we should be progressing, which is not an unreasonable position to take as he's the one writing the cheques. And last season, we regressed. Nobody is EXPECTING us to start going to the big 6 and plundering points, or that we'll have a 20-goal superstar up top next season. But equally, having invested in the squad, I don't think Bloom was expecting us to stay up this time courtesy of Fulham and Palace both doing us a favour in the last 2 games.

I'm *hoping* for an improvement in performances and results under Potter, but thats a long way from "expecting" it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why would he want to give up playing in the Prem to go back to the Dutch league?

You're aware Ajax just made the Champions League Semi-Finals, correct?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
You're aware Ajax just made the Champions League Semi-Finals, correct?

Not sure he’ll game in that match , it’s been played .

He played in the CL for PSV didn’t he ? So what’s your point ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not sure he’ll game in that match , it’s been played .

He played in the CL for PSV didn’t he ? So what’s your point ?

Lets assume Davy Propper is ambitious, where do you think he might have the best chance of playing at the highest level? Brighton or Ajax?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
giphy (22).gif

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Lets assume Davy Propper is ambitious, where do you think he might have the best chance of playing at the highest level? Brighton or Ajax?

He was playing Dutch League football and CL football at PSV .

He left that to come here . He must see the Prem as a high level than the Dutch league and a handful of CL games.

Ajax did well last year , and if they think that Propper is the missing piece of their jigsaw for European domination then the bidding can start at £50 mill

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You can’t dismiss pace though surely?
Otherwise, you might as well watch Serie A.

If you play a pass into a ‘hole’, you certainly can’t walk on to it.

Look at great strikers and wingers, they have explosive pace, there aren’t many who stroll and look brilliant (other than Pirlo or Jan Molby)

I'm not dismissing pace, this is going to take some huge leaps of faith so hang in there:-

Instead of maintaining possession with reasonably safe passes to feet what if

- Dunk wins possession.
- Passes the ball FORWARD 20 (twenty) yards to Propper.
- Already alive to the situation Ali J has gone past the previously pressing fullback.
- Propper plays a one (certainly no more that two) touch pass FORWARD behind the now back pedaling fullback.
- As switched on is Andone, who was on the halfway line and is new making a bee-line to goal.

No player has to have any great speed in that equation, but the ball needs to do a lot of very accurate work very quickly.

It must be possible I've seen other teams do it. :lol:

Naturally though one mistake and 4 possibly even 5 players are out of position the Albion are 1-0 down.
With half of us are screaming for defensive cover while the other half are smugly rubbing their chins.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Do you really think Hughton 'bowed' to fan pressure for more attacking football?
My guess (and that's all it is) is that the club (Bloom & co) had regular discussions with Chris about the way forward, and as we started to look comfortable in this division it was seen as a good time to progress towards playing nicer football.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Davy Davy Pröpper King of the Dutch midfield !

Certainly hasn't exactly been King of the ALBION midfield...

Do you really think Hughton 'bowed' to fan pressure for more attacking football? That said I don't really remember must dissent from fans during the games first half of the season to be more attacking or whatever. So maybe he was reading NSC?

I think I remember [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION] saying something along those lines. Maybe he didn't bow to fan pressure, but surely people asking for it played on his mind to give it a go?

Who is making the decisions about Propper's proposed move/interest to/from Ajax and other potential exits? Potter? His recruitment guy? PW? Surely a manager would have to have a good look at the squad before making any decisions, or had CH drawn up a retained list before he got the boot? If so, would the new guy(s) be able to or want to make changes to that list? Obviously targets are all going to have Potter's input, but what about the current squad? Or (one for the conspiracy theorists) has he been on a secret mission since the beginning of the year to identify who to keep and who to get rid of?

I'm not expecting answers to all those questions, by the way, just a rambling stream of thoughts really. But if you can shed any light on what is going on, then great :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here