Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Best way to help kids get on property market

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Hi,

Has anyone done any research into this or can point me to any good sites? I want to help them get on the property market, can afford to lend/give them some money BUT not sure what is the most efficient legal way?

you can give them whatever you want ....as long as you live 7 years after the gift there is no tax, taper relief kicks in ........I think ..........(this is not financial advice) my understanding is that in the first few years there is a potential 40% liability for the person receiving the money (subject to IHT) ...then it reduces .............. you could cover them if your estate is enough to attract IHT using a 'gifts inter vivos' policy ... but in practice they don't offer good value for money.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There's some sense in this. The unaffordability of houses comes from speculation from wealthy Russians and Chinese, who then never intend to sell them on (or even rent them out in lots of cases). The Tories are never going to do anything that upsets the free market, no matter how badly this is disadvantaging countless British young people.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

We haven’t got to make this party political. There were colossal rises in SE England property prices 1997 to 2010, a huge influx of overseas investors, and the golden age of buy to let landlords. Overall, part of a huge resi property boom 1995 to very recently.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
There's some sense in this. The unaffordability of houses comes from speculation from wealthy Russians and Chinese, who then never intend to sell them on (or even rent them out in lots of cases). The Tories are never going to do anything that upsets the free market, no matter how badly this is disadvantaging countless British young people.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Russians and Chinese investing in London..but distorting the market elsewhere? Really?
...yes we have the free market championed by the Tories..but remind us what efforts the last Labour government did regarding this?
House are often perceived as an investment as against a home ..and until that changes ...more investment in houses to rent ..a greater balance between supply and demand ...builders not allowed to sit on land banks(?)...etc etc

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Russians and Chinese investing in London..but distorting the market elsewhere? Really?
...yes we have the free market championed by the Tories..but remind us what efforts the last Labour government did regarding this?
House are often perceived as an investment as against a home ..and until that changes ...more investment in houses to rent ..a greater balance between supply and demand ...builders not allowed to sit on land banks(?)...etc etc

:goal:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Wow. Just wow.

Obviously a baby boomber, not realising how lucky you've had it and now shit young people have it today.

If I had grown up kids today I would feel it was my duty to help them out financially, given that the boomers were lucky enough to be born at the right time to have incredible accumulative wealth (and not entirely earned, relatively speaking, let's be honest). Many of them are practically millionaires, only as they were lucky enough to enter the property market at the right time.

Feel sorry for your kids to be honest. Enjoy your luxurious retirement, while your kids struggle to make ends meet for their entire lives and have barely no retirement pot when they're your age, in all likelikhood.

I agree with you though i am a baby boomer myself. My eldest (now 29) moved out at 18, moved back home again at 20 and then saved for nearly 2 years and had £10,000 cash in her account, she drove an old banger, only went out one night a week, worked overtime as much as she could and so on. We took out some of the equity in our house for her and got her a nice little flat in Lancing around 6-7 years ago. Needed a LOT of work which I can do (new kitchen, bathroom etc..). She met her now husband 5 years ago and sold the flat last year and bought a 3 bed semi in Shoreham having made some cash out off the flat, enough for the deposit.

I dont understand parents who wont help their kids if their kids want to get set up on their own (I know a few kids happy to still be at home on theri 20's and 30's). I didnt get help from my parents, but then things WERE different then and i didnt need the help. It wasnt easy but then what is?.

Sure my daughter has issues in life, but owning her own house isnt one and they are set up in that way which as a parent is one less concern for your kids.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I gave my Daughter the deposit for a flat out of Brighton. I had to sign away any rights to the property or rights to my money back. As she was single but had a boyfriend I also made sure he had zero rights should he move in. The flat was £90K but it is a start and over the next 20 years I expect her to sell and move up.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wow. Just wow.

Obviously a baby boomber, not realising how lucky you've had it and now shit young people have it today.

If I had grown up kids today I would feel it was my duty to help them out financially, given that the boomers were lucky enough to be born at the right time to have incredible accumulative wealth (and not entirely earned, relatively speaking, let's be honest). Many of them are practically millionaires, only as they were lucky enough to enter the property market at the right time.

Feel sorry for your kids to be honest. Enjoy your luxurious retirement, while your kids struggle to make ends meet for their entire lives and have barely no retirement pot when they're your age, in all likelikhood.

I was given three grand to help me with my deposit on a 57K mortgage by the olds. I was grateful. These days with properties here starting around 250K, I'd need to front my lad about 175K because he has no savings and a crap income. And after that there is a real risk he won't be able to keep up the repayments (job not secure). The bar is high.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Now in-laws lent us money to get on the ladder under the condition they get it back for their retirement. We worked out what we'd need to save monthly to achieve this and have done so since.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The only way to help your kids on the property ladder these days is to kick the bucket.

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
Barclays do a mortgage called Sure Start. You put the 10% deposit in an account and they provide a 100% mortgage to your kid(s). If the mortgage is repaid for three years continually, you get your cash back plus interest and your kids have a mortgage. Job done. Did it with both my kids two years ago and in twelve months I get all my money back to spend on sweets.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Wow. Just wow.

It seems there's no way that you'd consider yourself "conservative" and yet you're harking back to a way of life from several decades ago.

There's no way any government will see citizens in their late 30s and onwards live in actual poverty as these are the people who vote. 18-35s do not vote and are responsible for the existence of a Tory government and Brexit with their shit ambivalence.

Society always finds a way. As humans we always want to look after our children, yet we cannot do that if we are giving them everything on a plate. I'd let them work out the issues when they get to the age where reality bites, as they clearly cannot be bothered to sort out democratic change while they're young.

Buying a house is not a right - it's an earned privilege

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I know it's your kid HW, but at 33 he can walk on his own.

Save the money for when/if he really screws up/has a horrific life situation and actually needs it. Not to help someone out when they don't have what they want, just because they haven't earned it.....

And yes, you could say that you've been extremely lucky in comparison. Age, job, pension etc. But to cut into that when it's just for shits and giggles, rather then when he might actually NEED it, is a mistake.

To me anyway.

We've benefited from a few quid here and there from (her) parents. But only stuff that's made things sightly easier rather than buying our house/car etc.

But when the shit hit the fan and we needed legal representation, they stepped up and saved us.... Not a huge amount of money, but that was actually life changing (and we're paying it back).

Not everyone needs to own their own house nowadays. Keep your hand in your pocket. You never know when you might REALLY need to dip into it for your wastrel offspring!

Mine will have no excuse btw. He's getting his "child trust fund" thing at 18 with a letter from me ending "Screw that up and you're on your own sunshine!". [emoji23]

Thank you for that. I know your posts and respect your perspectives. My current position is indeed to hold back for bail outs till, he 'settles'. His car insurance is a bit high after he was banned for a year, for example :ffsparr:

You are right of course. The little bugger has dual citizenship (UK and Canadian) and could easily flit off to Vancouver, but he's got his mates and his computer games. Lovely lad but look into his eye and you see softness and vulnerability and disengagement. I sometimes still take him to Albion games. He sleeps in the car on the way and on the way back. We used to go to all the games together, all over England, when he was a teenager. Carlisle, tick. Torquay, tick. These days I'll invite my middle brother, or offer it to one or two of my lovely NSC chums.....sad really.

Its the guilt. I never stop wondering what more I could do. Me and his mum divorced in 92 and she took him back to where he was born (Vancouver). That lasted 5 hellish years, till she could no longer cope. Then he moved back here, age 12. Got into a great school.....but not intereted in working.....'horizontal Nick' was his nickname at school....and I bought him his first console <sigh>

Anyway, no point trying to rewind time.

Fortunately Mrs T (my dear beloved of 6 years) is kind and wise, and her and my relationship with sonny Jim is good, but my urge to do mad things with my cash on his behalf is thankfully kept in check. He does ask occasionally when he needs, but he seems a million miles away from life's combat. **** me, I was twice divorced, running my own reserch lab and fighting the Lawson bust (negative equity) when I was his age. Computer games? yeah, right. Kicking adversity in the bollocks, more like.

My son's batty mother is now saddled with babysitting her grandkids in Vancouver - she has two older kids - which somewhat amuses me. Some of the older lags on NSC met her 20 years ago. Some of the old lags on NSC met my son many times, too, and know what a lovely lad he is.

Ahhhhh......bollocks.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Interesting subject as preferred option is to give each of my two a "long-term loan" to get them on the housing market which will be written off at some point.

Are there tax implications to this and if they split up from their partners could the partner be entitled to 50% ?

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Hi,

Has anyone done any research into this or can point me to any good sites? I want to help them get on the property market, can afford to lend/give them some money BUT not sure what is the most efficient legal way?

My friends parents loaned him money to get on the property ladder, when applying for his mortgage they just asked for a letter from his parents confirming it was a non-repayable gift (he was paying them back but they don't need to know that) i guess the mortgage company wan't to know you're not having to pay off anyone else?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I was given three grand to help me with my deposit on a 57K mortgage by the olds. I was grateful. These days with properties here starting around 250K, I'd need to front my lad about 175K because he has no savings and a crap income. And after that there is a real risk he won't be able to keep up the repayments (job not secure). The bar is high.

Not having a go at your son HWT, but at his age you must have had a half decent job and been able to get the mortgage. Your suon sounds like he has 'other priorities' in life and working/getting set up on his own.

My wifes brother is still at home, never moved out and he's 45. Works part time and plays the guitar, piano and generally does - well I dont know but its pretty much SFA. My FIL (now passed away) would go nuts over him in frustration to get him to 'do something with his life'. Didnt work. I put up a new fence for the MIL last week and last summer remodelled their back garden into a low maintenance one as the MIL is mid 70's now and not too sprightly on her pegs, my BIL did sod all to help. Sometimes you have just got to accept that people are different and some just dont have the drive and push of others.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Not having a go at your son HWT, but at his age you must have had a half decent job and been able to get the mortgage. Your suon sounds like he has 'other priorities' in life and working/getting set up on his own.

My wifes brother is still at home, never moved out and he's 45. Works part time and plays the guitar, piano and generally does - well I dont know but its pretty much SFA. My FIL (now passed away) would go nuts over him in frustration to get him to 'do something with his life'. Didnt work. I put up a new fence for the MIL last week and last summer remodelled their back garden into a low maintenance one as the MIL is mid 70's now and not too sprightly on her pegs, my BIL did sod all to help. Sometimes you have just got to accept that people are different and some just dont have the drive and push of others.
True.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Interesting subject as preferred option is to give each of my two a "long-term loan" to get them on the housing market which will be written off at some point.

Are there tax implications to this and if they split up from their partners could the partner be entitled to 50% ?

That's my approach ... I've said to them when they are ready I will 'lend' them £xxK each but I want them 'settled' (not defined that) and to see them make some contribution too (if they save SFA then they don't get it)

I doubt I'll get anything back but if they win the lottery, or sell for a huge profit who knows? No tax implications unless you peg it. As for partners a property can be owned with different shares so that's what I would suggest if the deposits/contributions weren't equal but I might stop short of insisting unless they got caught up with scroats (which they won't) and if they did I wouldn't give them the £'s until they were scroat free anyway

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here