Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] The best games Console of its time

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
But my winner is the N64. My childhood memories are playing on this console. Has a very good library of games. Goldeneye N64 was the first FPS games where you could use dual analogue sticks, look at how many FPS games follow that formula. Super Mario 64 made 3D platforming what it is today. The controller was awkwardly shaped, but the console had 4 controller slots for multiplayer games. I’ve got many fond memories of playing N64 split screen.

In theory yes, but it requires having and using two controllers for it; which, given the shape of them isn't that easy :lolol:

I still adore my N64. Pride of place on my shelf by my TV and all the games I have so far neatly boxed and organised. Yes I am a sad individual.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Aquanauts Holiday for PS1. Crazy exciting game. Its like Grand Theft Auto in the ocean but without the violence. I made a video review in 2007:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
A friends step sister had a NEO GEO. We’d never seen anything like it before. Shame games for it were like £50 back in 86/87.

Personally I never found a better console than the SNES but probably more timing than anything.

Super Mario Kart
Castlevania
Super Star Soccer - pre cursor to PES
Street Fighter II

Hours of fun

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The PS1 for me, it was such a HUGE leap forward in gaming. I was absolutely blown away by Tomb Raider and Wipeout, in fact Tomb Raider I spent an unhealthy amount of time on deep into the night. Just the atmosphere in that game and feeling of isolation, the freedom to explore. I think David James referenced it at the time as one of the reasons his form for Liverpool fell off a cliff - he was spending night after night with Lara, just as I was.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
In theory yes, but it requires having and using two controllers for it; which, given the shape of them isn't that easy :lolol:

I still adore my N64. Pride of place on my shelf by my TV and all the games I have so far neatly boxed and organised. Yes I am a sad individual.

Oh yes, I never tried it! But the idea was still there. If you ever have some spare time, look up GE speed runs on YouTube. Some have two players controlling 1 analogue each on separate controllers and synch their movements. Very impressive.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Surely every console is the best 'of its time'. The original Atari suddenly meant a TV had other uses. Play Station encompassed the CD revolution. Wii brought us motion sensors and now it's all 4K and internet.
For me the Wii wins though.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
SNES for me - was the next step up from my Atari ST and is home to two of my four favourite games ever (Terranigma and Earthbound).

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
A friends step sister had a NEO GEO. We’d never seen anything like it before. Shame games for it were like £50 back in 86/87.

Either you're getting your dates mixed up or it wasn't a Neo Geo, as those didn't come out til 1990. Rather than SNK's Neo Geo, might it have been NEC's PC Engine?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I've still got a SNES boxed up, i need to sell that at some point.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Either you're getting your dates mixed up or it wasn't a Neo Geo, as those didn't come out til 1990. Rather than SNK's Neo Geo, might it have been NEC's PC Engine?

The PC-Engine was/is a beast, absolutely love it though before the days of the interweb would have been a pain to get games for. I remember the NeoGeo games being like £150 each, though that was early nineties, sadly I've never owned one.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
The PS2 is probably the greatest console of all time for the catalogue and the longevity of it and how it pushed the envelope.

Fully agree with Dreamcast though, that was WAY ahead of its time.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
The PC-Engine was/is a beast, absolutely love it though before the days of the interweb would have been a pain to get games for. I remember the NeoGeo games being like £150 each, though that was early nineties, sadly I've never owned one.

They do a PC Engine mini now I believe, with 50 games pre-loaded.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Mattels Intellivision had some amazing games!! early 80s, still have mine

934175intellivision1.jpg

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
For me, the most underrated/hard-done-by console of all time is Sega's Dreamcast. Loads of amazing games, great graphics for the time, and way ahead of its time with stuff like online play. Deserved to be a much bigger success than it was.

I got the Dreamcast on the day of release. It was way ahead of its time and wasn't even that expensive. The graphics were even better if you plugged it in to a decent PC monitor.

It's such a shame Sega couldn't turn things around after the failure of the Saturn.

N64 and Golden eye.

Still my favourite of all time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here