Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk to Leicester City?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Get a grip!!!

Yeah. Probably right. There’s ITK..and some trust it..and there’s ITK that’s probably bogus or made up. It’s picking your favourite tipster on NSC by hanging around long enough to tell whether they’re talking out of their arse or not.

Grip got. Ta spence and others.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
And their comments on Dunk could have been too.
But that's not the situation we're discussing. We're discussing whether Leicester could have been in for Dunk. You're saying that the Argus are conservative and don't say a sale might happen unless they're sure of it. So we just know that the Argus weren't sure that Leicester were in for Dunk.

They weren't sure we were in for Maupay, so they said we weren't. They were wrong (again).
The Argus reported all summer their line, as shared with them by a good source, that Dunk was “95%” likely to stay.

They also reported all summer that we were interested in Maupay. “What was wrong (again) “ about that ?
Naylor Said No.

https://twitter.com/brettbrighton/status/1138067007067308037?s=19

https://twitter.com/AndyNaylorBHAFC/status/1138069404011421696?s=19

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They also reported all summer that we were interested in Maupay. “What was wrong (again) “ about that ?
When asked if there was any truth in Brighton being after Maupay, Naylor said 'No'
[tweet]1138069404011421696[/tweet]

Therefore, the Argus saying that Dunk to Leicester was very unlikely to happen, doesn't mean much.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Therefore, the Argus saying that Dunk to Leicester was very unlikely to happen, doesn't mean much.

So the Argus reporting that 7 or 8 weeks ago that we’d not bid for Maupay - Even though it subsequently confirmed interest weeks before the signing yesterday also ...invalidates their, as it turns out, likely correct reporting on Dunk. (Even when it was also backed up by non Argus reporters)

Do you not believe any transfer reporting from any source then ?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
That's a bit of a leap, it's almost as if you just wanted to squeeze in that little jibe ad hoc.

The term 'plastic' is peddled around a huge amount, particularly on social media. It is by no means used in circulation exclusively by our fans, in fact we are accused of it far more than I see us throwing the altogether embarassing term around.

A strange comment for an albion fan to make on the whole.

I thought the same but he seems very defensive and definitely over reacted to a joke. I know Hudds lost last night but no need to take it out on me [MENTION=20]Publius Ovidius[/MENTION]

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The ITK told us through their sauces close to Dunk/his family that Dunk was up for it and moves behind the scenes were afoot. That we’d all end up with egg on our faces from our cynicism.

Turned out to be utter tosh. So very predictable.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
143 pages and yet Leicester haven’t even made an approach to the club or an offer! Literally stark raving bonkers! :facepalm: :wrong:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
When asked if there was any truth in Brighton being after Maupay, Naylor said 'No'
[tweet]1138069404011421696[/tweet]

The Argus has quite frankly been an embarrassment when it has come to transfer speculation in recent years.
Anyone can start speculating once Sky have pretty much confirmed it albeit they themselves have their early rumour mill.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So the Argus reporting that 7 or 8 weeks ago that we’d not bid for Maupay
They didn't say we hadn't bid, they said there was no truth in us being after Maupay. That was incorrect.

...invalidates their, as it turns out, likely correct reporting on Dunk. (Even when it was also backed up by non Argus reporters)
Someone here posted that the Argus saying that Dunk to Leicester was unlikely to happen was enough to tell them it wouldn't happen.

I am simply being objective, and highlighting that the Argus thinking something won't happen doesn't mean it won't.

Do you not believe any transfer reporting from any source then ?
Different sources give me different levels of confidence depending on what they've claimed. If the Argus said we'd made an offer for someone, I'd think that was likely to be correct. They don't seem to make stuff like that up. If, however, the Argus say we're not interested in someone, I don't believe that they've had it confirmed by the club that we're not interested in said player, I expect they simply don't know anything about our interest in them. Them not knowing doesn't mean we're not interested.

If L'Équipe says we've made an offer for a French player, I'd think that has a good chance of being correct too.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
They don't seem to make stuff like that up. If, however, the Argus say we're not interested in someone, I don't believe that they've had it confirmed by the club that we're not interested in said player, I expect they simply don't know anything about our interest in them. Them not knowing doesn't mean we're not interested.

Naylor was actually asked specifically "any truth in" [presumably rumours about Maupay - not whether the club was "interested" - it wasn't that specific] .
How do you know if it was incorrect ? It was 7 weeks ago. If they said there was no truth in Maupay rumours at the time then they would have confirmed it based on what their sources told them at the time. There might well have been no acitivity then and they were pursuing other targets.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The Argus has quite frankly been an embarrassment when it has come to transfer speculation in recent years.
Anyone can start speculating once Sky have pretty much confirmed it albeit they themselves have their early rumour mill.

The Argus with Naylor in previous season and Owen this season have knocked back, correctly, probably hundreds of transfer speculation stories written by others (from the mail, the Sun to irksome fake transfer twitter accounts) . week after week . And you think the Argus are the embarrassment. Blimey.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The Argus with Naylor in previous season and Owen this season have knocked back, correctly, probably hundreds of transfer speculation stories written by others (from the mail, the Sun to irksome fake transfer twitter accounts) . week after week . And you think the Argus are the embarrassment. Blimey.

Agree the Argus always err on the side of caution when it comes to transfers, as a result I trust them more than twitter sites and the nationals who simply have to churn out rumours day after day.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Naylor was actually asked specifically "any truth in" [presumably rumours about Maupay - not whether the club was "interested" - it wasn't that specific] .
How do you know if it was incorrect ? It was 7 weeks ago. If they said there was no truth in Maupay rumours at the time then they would have confirmed it based on what their sources told them at the time. There might well have been no acitivity then and they were pursuing other targets.

Maupay said in his interview that he spoke to Potter several weeks ago.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
ROONEY
With Sky dedicating hours on transfer talk, so many 'ITK', spies at every ground, friends of friends, mates down the pub and reporters at every port, how come the Rooney transfer went unnoticed? His agent was touting him round a few clubs and yet the BBC had an interview with his agent about the FA Cup only a few days ago.
OK, so it's not a big transfer, but it has turned it to a big story.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here