Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Things designed specifically to annoy and frustrate people.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’ve paid the odd patio and moved my fair share of washing machines but don’t have to do it for a living thankfully . I get that they have to be solid and stable, concrete blocks in them etc but surely a couple of grips on them would help come moving days?

Basically if you had to design the most awkward thing to shift, you’d come up with the Washing machine ( or Theresa May). Boxy, heavy and nothing to grip onto and if you’re lucky it’ll drip a lovely dribble of grey water on you as you go up the stairs :)

And the washing machine?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Not the only reason , sometimes hot food can “spit” but yes, when heated the thin plastic film softens, making it hard to peel off in one hit. Allow it to cool, the plastic recovers its integrity and will peel off far more easily.

That’s fine if you’re done microwaving and are letting it to cool down to eat, but what about when you have to remove it halfway through cooking, stir, and then continue cooking, mmm?

Then you still have to tackle the film while it’s hot.

Even trying to be clever and just peel back one corner for utensil access is likely to result in film removal frustration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That’s fine if you’re done microwaving and are letting it to cool down to eat, but what about when you have to remove it halfway through cooking, stir, and then continue cooking, mmm?

Then you still have to tackle the film while it’s hot.

Even trying to be clever and just peel back one corner for utensil access is likely to result in film removal frustration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re right! Hadn’t thought of that. Best just to decant the whole thing into a bowl with a plate on top before commencing the heating maybe?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I shit you not, there was a sticker on my brand new toilet that only said 'do not remove this label'. Of course I tried to remove it as it was the most pointless sticker ever, now left with a feckin yellow square on my toilet. :censored:

Post #67 nail varnish remover is the tip.
I'm going to try this as I spend far too long trying to remove labels on some jobs.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
My apple mobile can do EVERYTHING......apart from actually answering phone calls. When my phone rings there is always a battle of will the answer button actually work followed by hello? hello? hello? from either or both parties as we struggle to hound a conversation.

Jul 7, 2003
My apple mobile can do EVERYTHING......apart from actually answering phone calls. When my phone rings there is always a battle of will the answer button actually work followed by hello? hello? hello? from either or both parties as we struggle to hound a conversation.

At the risk of upsetting [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] , the iPhone is a fantastic device but an appalling telephone. I switched phone from an iPhone to a Sony - on the same network, in the same locations I get hardly any call drops and generally much better call quality than the iPhone.

Jul 7, 2003
Modern funky looking basins whose designers seem to think that holding water is an optional extra. I love a wet shave in the morning but so many places have basins where the plug is shit.

I have to travel regularly for work and stay in some lovely hotels. It does seem to be the rule that the more modern and quirky the hotel, the less practical the basin will be.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Post #67 nail varnish remover is the tip.
I'm going to try this as I spend far too long trying to remove labels on some jobs.

Seriously? You’re a plumber of how many years? And you never once thought to yourself “might try and find some sort of substance to make this easier”?

Let me guess.....Leave?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Seriously? You’re a plumber of how many years? And you never once thought to yourself “might try and find some sort of substance to make this easier”?

Let me guess.....Leave?

To be honest there is a chemical available from Toolstation for removing labels, I looked earlier and its £13.
When I worked on new housing developments I did leave the labels on, but I was on price work and time was money, and contract cleaners come onto site before houses are handed over.
Now I work for myself and I feel I should remove the labels so the job looks tidy. For a while some manufacturers made the labels easy to peel off, or they came off with normal household cleaning spray.
But recently I've fitted a few toilets and cisterns covered in really sticky labels.

I have a very exciting and glamorous job :facepalm:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
To be honest there is a chemical available from Toolstation for removing labels, I looked earlier and its £13.
When I worked on new housing developments I did leave the labels on, but I was on price work and time was money, and contract cleaners come onto site before houses are handed over.
Now I work for myself and I feel I should remove the labels so the job looks tidy. For a while some manufacturers made the labels easy to peel off, or they came off with normal household cleaning spray.
But recently I've fitted a few toilets and cisterns covered in really sticky labels.

I have a very exciting and glamorous job :facepalm:
Tried big wipes? Work for me.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Rubber Johnies!
They should provide a natty applicator.
Unless you are expert at snapping one on, you get to that moment, trying to get it out with your teeth and then fumbling around trying to roll it down, even worse if you have a todger like a grand national winner.
By the time you are sure it's not going to ping off you are flaccid.

Go anal gods own contraception

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Tough to find things which aren't just the result of cost cutting or badly thought out design..... But my vote goes to.call centre systems.

They're made to infuriate you into hanging up rather than getting you to the person you need to speak to.

For sales, press 1.
For the payment team, press 2.
For refunds, press 78339149##alpha6621984300187#*xx762294726

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The application of Data Protection laws.

ring ring, ring ring, rin...

Hello

Hello. Mr The Clamp?

Who is this?

Is this Mr The Clamp

You rang me, you should know.

Yes, this is company X , can we have your security code?

No.

Can we have your address?

No. You rang me, you tell me my address and security code.

Can you confirm your address and security code. We cannot proceed without these.

Fine. Bye.

Click.

****ing ridiculous.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Whistling in radio ads, gets on my nerves.
You have one for TSB on Classicfm over there at the moment, I am a regular listener online still, just stop it.
They have one that they play on stations here, geared at trades people, just don't and for the record in all my years spent on site I have only ever encountered one whistler.
He never whistled a tune just whistled inanely, after 2 days of this I firmly said, 'just shut the f*** up', he was surprised and said he didn't know he was even doing it.
Silence lasted for 2 days then he unconsciously started doing it again, stopping when I threw things at him.
I never worked on a site with him again, thank goodness.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here