Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rumour Jayden Bogle

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Its self evident that Hughton largely avoided picking u23 players during his stint - but unprepared to play young players ? Hughton was happy to play Tomori when he was 19, March when he was 20, Nathan Redmond when he was 19 at Norwich in 2013/14 and 17 when he was coaching Birmingham.
You might want to flesh that list out a bit, if you can.
As it stands you're currently proving [MENTION=34524]Frankie[/MENTION]'s point.
Made all the more telling by the possibility of Mr Potter having a similarly (tiny) sized list of players over 30 that he's selected.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Through choice or necessity ?

Dunno and don't really care, either way though it doesn't seem to have held him back.

I'll be somewhat surprised, if in August, the Albion side only leave the dressing room after the bell has sounded and they've packed their things away.

But by the same token I'd be equally surprised, and somewhat dismayed, if Michael Parkinson is still in the tunnel handing out free pens to half the starting XI.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
If he's 18 years old, he'd be yet another 'one for the future', loaned out to some lower league club, and never heard of again until he's 'released' in May 2021.
This has certainly been the way of things over the last 4 or more years.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And we already have a RB who can fly down the wing and supposedly not defend very well don’t we?

Maybe when we let Schelotto go he can replace Schelotto on loan? ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This may be old fashioned but I like my fullbacks to primarily be able to defend and to be able to attack is a bonus.

That's really old fashioned :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This may be old fashioned but I like my fullbacks to primarily be able to defend and to be able to attack is a bonus.

double post. Apologies. A bit old fashioned of me.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Would prefer the Chelsea RB but Bogle would be a risk worth taking if can't get the former. If he becomes good he'll cost double or triple and likely wouldn't consider us at that point.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
We played the numbers game last summer on ‘value’ and ‘prospects’, then had a pretty shite season.

Time for a different approach, to spend circa £60m on just a few first team ready, proven players.

Normally I would agree, but the day we employed Graham Potter that changed.

He has no experience signing or managing high value players. His entire career is a tale of developing and getting the most out of younger, less experienced players.

This, coupled with the recruitment of Dan Ashworth is an indication that we are moving in a different direction.

Already we have been linked with 4 or 5 young British players, in Bogle, mcBurnie, Reece James, Matt Clarke and Daniel James.

Not only are these players all ones for the future, but they have all been playing first team football in physical leagues and are now ready to step up into the Premier League.

It looks like we will be recruiting players that suit Potters style rather than ones who suit the fans ambitions.

That will do for me, at least it shows we have a plan. Sign them young and coach the hell out if them. Rather than go down the Alexis Sanchez route, which is a good example of how buying expensive can also be a risk.

This season Ajax have shown what a team full of young players can do when they are coached well. This should be our blueprint for the future.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

He has no experience signing or managing high value players. His entire career is a tale of developing and getting the most out of younger, less experienced players.

This, coupled with the recruitment of Dan Ashworth is an indication that we are moving in a different direction.

Already we have been linked with 4 or 5 young British players, in Bogle, mcBurnie, Reece James, Matt Clarke and Daniel James.

Maybe but all of those would will still cost £m

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
We played the numbers game last summer on ‘value’ and ‘prospects’, then had a pretty shite season.

Time for a different approach, to spend circa £60m on just a few first team ready, proven players.

Trouble is attracting that calibre of player to a club that hasn't performed particularly well and pays (relatively) low wages. Would be great if we could snag a couple but we're not an inspiring prospect on paper are we?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Not only are these players all ones for the future, but they have all been playing first team football in physical leagues and are now ready to step up into the Premier League.

It looks like we will be recruiting players that suit Potters style rather than ones who suit the fans ambitions.

That will do for me, at least it shows we have a plan. Sign them young and coach the hell out if them. Rather than go down the Alexis Sanchez route, which is a good example of how buying expensive can also be a risk.

This season Ajax have shown what a team full of young players can do when they are coached well. This should be our blueprint for the future.

That would be amazing. But the club have £110m from TV, so say £60m is available for fees, we also invest in proven quality. For every Sanchez, there are several doable deals done for players such as Maddison, Pereyra.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Agreed. We have to lift the £50k weekly wages ceiling.

Totally disagree. This club needs to be built on sustainable growth, not piss the money up the wall and hope it works. I'm impressed with the way Dick and Tony have been building a club out of the ashes of what Belotti and Archer did to us. I do not want to go that way again. If it means we can't pay the wages of overpaid footballers, then so be it. I'd be far happier supporting a club making profit every year (like Arsenal), playing impressive football (like Arsenal), but not winning any trophies (like Arsenal) and still remaining in the Prem. Tony has a vision and I'm along for the ride.

Take a quick look at the obscene amount of money Neymar will be receiving at Real - just wow. Football just cannot be THAT sustainable.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Fanciful at best. We need a couple of proven first team players, else the trajectory is down. I have full confidence we will do so.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Totally disagree. This club needs to be built on sustainable growth, not piss the money up the wall and hope it works. I'm impressed with the way Dick and Tony have been building a club out of the ashes of what Belotti and Archer did to us. I do not want to go that way again. If it means we can't pay the wages of overpaid footballers, then so be it. I'd be far happier supporting a club making profit every year (like Arsenal), playing impressive football (like Arsenal), but not winning any trophies (like Arsenal) and still remaining in the Prem. Tony has a vision and I'm along for the ride.

Take a quick look at the obscene amount of money Neymar will be receiving at Real - just wow. Football just cannot be THAT sustainable.

Disagree. Our wages have been going up for many years now, incrementally. I expect that to continue.

We are at something like 50-60% of our turnover which is sustainable irrespective of relegation when you factor in guaranteed parachute money for the length of most contracts.

Meanwhile those in charge of the club are pursuing every possible means to expand our revenue streams for the very purpose of making us more competitive re. wages.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Disagree. Our wages have been going up for many years now, incrementally. I expect that to continue.

We are at something like 50-60% of our turnover which is sustainable irrespective of relegation when you factor in guaranteed parachute money for the length of most contracts.

Meanwhile those in charge of the club are pursuing every possible means to expand our revenue streams for the very purpose of making us more competitive re. wages.

I was responding to the earlier quote about buying "first team, proven players" for £60m and to blow the ceiling on wages. Not only is that a gamble as a first team, proven player at one club may well not be the same at another, but it also changes the mentality around the wage structure. We're not a bloody top 6 team, and I really wish our fans would stop thinking of us like that.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I was responding to the earlier quote about buying "first team, proven players" for £60m and to blow the ceiling on wages. Not only is that a gamble as a first team, proven player at one club may well not be the same at another, but it also changes the mentality around the wage structure. We're not a bloody top 6 team, and I really wish our fans would stop thinking of us like that.

I'd settle with being *more Bournemouth than Burnley* and a bit further above the annual 17th-20th league struggle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here