Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Network Adaptors

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
After taking control of the pc for 3 hours Microsoft were unable to sort it out so suggested that I contact Toshiba in the morning and they do the same then get back to microsoft.afterwards.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
After taking control of the pc for 3 hours Microsoft were unable to sort it out so suggested that I contact Toshiba in the morning and they do the same then get back to microsoft.afterwards.

Well this all sounds like a day well spent. Definitely better than popping back to the clowns who installed it and asking them to sort it out.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Well this all sounds like a day well spent. Definitely better than popping back to the clowns who installed it and asking them to sort it out.

It was installed about 12- 18 months ago and worked perfectly for me as I do not play games so do not need the speed. It was only after I tried to re install windows 10 that the problems arose. Microsoft reinstalled a full driver pack so that from their angle everything should be ok hence they will call me back tomorrow pm after I have spoken to Toshiba.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just tried it and the internet is not available now only when connected to an Ethernet cable so will definitely be back on to them in the morning.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Is this the guy you spoke to ?

3284fdfac030f104978dc4188e8a3fa0.gif

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
Roblox appears to be a high bandwidth network killer.
https://www.diyinternetcafe.com/roblox-causes-network-lag/

Does the USB wifi dongle get hot when playing? It could simply be the chips overheating.

While 802.11n allows for theoretical network bandwidth up to 300 Mbps, typically in "value" usb adaptors, that is cut to 150Mbps.
This bandwidth capability drops off as an inverse square the further you get from the USB router, and is further chopped by communicating through walls, etc. How far away from the router is the laptop when this happens? Try moving closer, and see if the problem persists.
I have had poor results from every USB wifi dongle I have tried until I bought quality at around the £30 mark, (some time ago. Don't know what prices are now.). In short I wouldn't use USB wifi for high bandwidth gaming, and certainly not from a "value" range.
It may be that the best option is to buy a long ethernet cable, and tell her to use it wired to play games.

Does the wifi work if watching a HD video stream? that would represent a similar bandwidth impost to the Roblox game.

The Router itself could be part of the problem.
I have had routers, (Zyxel for those interested), which simply couldn't sustain a connection with iPhones for example.
Never bothered me, but the kids watch video on iPhone and iPads all the time so I had to buy an expensive, (but very good), router.
the Standard wifi routers from BT and Virgin are also not terribly good, and have issues with some wifi chipsets.

You'll probably no notice when browsing the 'net, but it shows up when consuming sustained bandwidth, like HD Video, or gaming.

That's all I've got of the top of my head.
Hope it gives some avenues to explore.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It was installed about 12- 18 months ago and worked perfectly for me as I do not play games so do not need the speed. It was only after I tried to re install windows 10 that the problems arose. Microsoft reinstalled a full driver pack so that from their angle everything should be ok hence they will call me back tomorrow pm after I have spoken to Toshiba.

i like how this key information comes out after many hours. you lost the drivers and Microsoft dont have them. find the driver for the dodgy USB wifi and install that.
also, dont rely on wifi for gaming ever, known for poor performance due to interference and added latency.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Latest update is that the number Toshiba e mailed to me to call is not available as it is 800 number so I thought that it may be a misprint so tried 0800 but that is not recognised.
compared the n
So went into Device Manager - network adaptor on another laptop that is working (mine) and compared the adaptors and the ones missing on the affected laptop (granddaughters) are Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
" " ( Recomm Protocol TDI)

Wouldnt think that we need them but also missing is :

Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adaptor; checked that out and it is available for a Lenovo but cannot find out if it is available/needed or can be used on a Toshiba Satellite C50

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
i like how this key information comes out after many hours. you lost the drivers and Microsoft dont have them. find the driver for the dodgy USB wifi and install that.
also, dont rely on wifi for gaming ever, known for poor performance due to interference and added latency.

The USB was originally set up by a laptop repair shop and has worked perfectly for about 18 months but since Microsoft upgraded it has broken down and loses the internet connection after about 30 mins hence contacting Microsoft. If all else fails I will go back to the Laptop Repair Shop but I was interested in trying to solve the problem myself with I thought the help of those ITK on NSC.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
stop looking for things. you wiped the drivers when you reinstalled Windows. install the drivers for device that were provided or download direct from their site (not Toshiba or Microsoft).

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The USB was originally set up by a laptop repair shop and has worked perfectly for about 18 months but since Microsoft upgraded it has broken down and loses the internet connection after about 30 mins hence contacting Microsoft. If all else fails I will go back to the Laptop Repair Shop but I was interested in trying to solve the problem myself with I thought the help of those ITK on NSC.

Sorry, am I missing something? Your laptop needs repairing, but you don't want to go to the laptop repair shop because you went there 18 months ago? Regardless of what has happened to it and when, the laptop clearly needs repairing, so just take it to the repair shop! :shootself

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
stop looking for things. you wiped the drivers when you reinstalled Windows. install the drivers for device that were provided or download direct from their site (not Toshiba or Microsoft).

Sorry I dont quite understand; it is a Toshiba Satelitte C50 B153 running on Windows 10 Home and the internet is provided by Vodafone You say do not go to Toshiba or Microsoft so are you saying go to Vodafone to download the drivers. Microsoft downloaded a Drivers Pack but said a driver was missing which was not theirs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=599]beorhthelm[/MENTION] - You're regretting it now aren't you?

Unfortunately we're all out of sympathy. :lolol:

paul-brighton

Jun 12, 2011
Sompting
OK my 2p worth. You said "inserted a 802.11nUSB Wireless Lan Card" Inserted meaning ? Plugging it in to an external USB port on the laptop? or actually opening up the case and inserting it (unlikely)?
Step 1. Remove the new wireless Lan card. Step 2. Reboot laptop. Step 3. Uninstall anything that mentions wi-fi for the original wi-fi device or somehow disable the original in built wi-fi device (there may well be a button on the keyboard that does this).
Step 4. Re-connect the new wireless Lan card. Do you get a message suggesting windows is downloading a driver? or, is it just working?. It sounds as if the new card was supplied when the laptop was a windows 7 machine and it is now a windows 10 machine and may well need a new driver. The best bet would be download and install the driver for windows 10 from the manufacturer of the wireless Lan card.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sorry, am I missing something? Your laptop needs repairing, but you don't want to go to the laptop repair shop because you went there 18 months ago? Regardless of what has happened to it and when, the laptop clearly needs repairing, so just take it to the repair shop! :shootself

No what I am saying is that it has worked on the USB without the missing driver for 18 months and still does but when granddaughter is playing her game it loses internet connection after about 30 she removes usb counts to 10 and puts it back in and all is well but that loss is a minor irritation that I hope to solve. with out added expense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here