Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ed Bassford - Lord Bracknell

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Another "never knew or met him but....." Post. Actually PM'ed prior to the first Amex game I attended - Hull in 2011. Sought advice re parking at Lewes for station and received a comprehensive, helpful and friendly response.

Is there somewhere to which donations in his memory may be sent?

I am sure that something in due course will be sorted by people on here who knew him well and have connections with the club.
But I just thought that (and I have no idea how you do it or how much it costs) maybe we could sponsor a match ball or even a match in his memory.
If we sponsor a ball then it could be auctioned and the proceeds given to his favourite charity.
Just an idea.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Gosh those threads, those threads. First thing in the morning, someone would post the Argus headline on here with the latest disaster / delay that had befallen the Falmer planning application. We'd all run around like headless chickens on here in a panic. The told-you-so doom-mongers would all be out in force, "its never going to happen". And then, Lord B would arrive on the thread, dissect the report, put it all in laymans terms, explain the process, get us back on track, and get us re-focussed. I can't remember how many times his wise, sage words soothed my furrowed brow over Falmer, but his was SUCH an authoritive voice on the subject, I just could not help but believe him. It was impossible not to reap such confidence from his utter conviction.

And the old bugger was right. He was right about everything. Just look at where we are now.

I've read this thread with tears in my eyes, especially at the fact that he never quite made it to see us walk out in the Premier League at the Amex. But he played such a huge part in where we are now. What a legacy. What a man.

I've not posted on this thread because I couldn't find the words. I only met Ed on a couple of occasions so to feel sad at someones passing sounds mawkish. It's so much more than that though which you have described perfectly.

The words he posted on here in those years were always spot on. I'd read every word he posted, used them to explain to my cynical old man why Falmer was happening and give me hope that I wouldn't continue to be watching Carlisle beat us at home in the pissing rain whilst being thankful for a poncho rather than a roof.

There was a post the other day where Micky Adams used to say **** Falmer as manager given he never thought it would happen. We forget the hero's in the fight for the stadium when we complain about the price of pies, Billy Paynter and the lack of a 50k a week striker because our International 3rd choice striker isn't good enough. We've come so far. Ed was at the forefront of that and I've just raised a glass to him. It's not an exaggeration to say we might not have got here without him.

RIP.

SuperFurrySeagull

Sep 25, 2003
Cardiff By The Sea
I'd just finished watching a 'catch up' of the Gareth Thomas documentary on homophobia in football, last night, when I opened up NSC & learnt the news of Lord B's passing - a thoroughly depressing document on the ugliest side of football (with of course the inevitable references to BHA) followed up by this terrible news.

But then I was immediately reminded of why football is in so much better shape than that documentary might suggest, & one of the reasons why I love it; it is in large part because of people like Lord Bracknell. Like many others on here, I never met him or spoke to him despite occasional sightings at away games, but felt that I knew something essential of his character from his postings on here; there are others on NSC that give rise to that kind of optimism also (no, really :lolol:) but LB was the epitome of all that was wise & intelligent, witty, insightful, fair & tenacious. BHAFC & NSC have both lost a formidable ally to this cause this weekend.

With thanks to Ed Bassford & condolences to all his family & friends. xx

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Such sad news. With all due respect to Bozza and, I guess, his real family , I always viewed LB as the 'Dad' of NSC .

I've been thinking about Ed an awful lot since I first heard the news early yesterday morning, but one phrase has repeatedly come to mind and that's "Father of the House" and Ed very much was Father of this house.

I'll be honest, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, but I was shit scared of Ed, as well as being completely in awe of him. You couldn't bullshit your way through something with Ed - he'd know it and he'd tell you. But that's not to suggest he was anything other than warm and incredibly amiable.

A truly tremendous chap on every level.

The mod nights out will be very much the poorer for his absence.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
When I saw this news it made me genuinely sad. Have never met Lord B, but have followed his posts on here for over 15 years.

It's been said I know, but in the war years, there came a point when I just filtered out everyone else's posts on the subject and waited until he had posted. As far as I was concerned I only needed to read what he said. He made everything clearer for me, and if I was feeling like we'd never make it to the promised land after reading some half baked opinions from others, his explanations would put my mind at rest.

He also came across as a very kind man when not posting on matters Albion.

RIP Lord Bracknell.

Jul 29, 2017
RIP Ed a true legend , without you we would not be st the Amex. Great times we al had
My wedding in T Wells , numerous piss ups in the sportsman and Nelson.

You will be sadly missed my friend

Sleep tight RIP x

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Although I never knew him to speak to, he had a stature that made you want to nod your head in recognition when you saw him at BHA games. Through his efforts over the years and his regular postings on here, you felt you knew him and would like to have known him. Our football club has been through the sort of adversity that most clubs never experience and it is thanks to a small group of fans who went above and beyond the cause that we were able to see the light, survive and prosper. EB was right at the forefront of that fight. Genuinely sad to hear of his passing and sincere condolences to his wife and family.
R.I.P.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I remember when my brother (Drumstick) had his motorbike accident and Ed/Roz came to our parents home to visit him, I think they even brought a wheelchair along for him. That was such a lovely thing to do. He was such a smart, welcoming, warm and friendly man. I'm going to miss bumping into him on the park & ride, or in the concourse and having a chat about the Albion. I'm going to miss his posts on here, which often raised a smile! I'm just going to miss him, brilliant guy. All my thoughts with his family and close friends. RIP Ed.

sten

sister ray
Jul 14, 2003
eastside
Havnt been on here for awhile, sad news didn't know the bloke personally but was always at the for front of the battle for falmer years as many have said calming influence when unreadable documentation was submitted re planning applications etc during those times , thank for your work deciphering these and helping us understand certain processes, rip and respect lb

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
With deepest sympathy - he will be missed.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Very sad to see this news on return from holiday. Didn't know Ed personally, only by sight at matches and meetings/marches during the bleak times. Very aware of his huge contribution to the Albion when the club badly needed people with his skills, intelligence and passion. Thoughts with his family, RIP

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Like many others on here I only "knew" Ed from his persona on NSC. But he always came across as a friendly, sane and intelligent gentleman. A true rarity on this board, whose presence will be greatly missed..

My condolences to the family and anyone else who actually knew him in the real world.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
No way........ :cry:

I LOVE Lord B on here - if ever you wanted someone to cut through someone else's bullshit or offer a completely unique point of view on an issue, he was your man, and funny and warm-hearted with it. Damn it he was the one person on here I really wanted to meet, to sit and have a beer and chat Brighton and now I'll never get the chance.

For those who knew him personally, you lucky *******s. What a guy he was. May he forever rest in peace and keep watching the Albion from up high.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I well remember the sense of shock and utter disbelief when Ed revealed that, while he did indeed bleed blue-and-white, his first club had in fact been Birmingham City. Naturally, I had assumed that this totally dedicated Albion fan, so hugely knowledgeable of all things Sussex, had been hewn from the very downland chalk, like some latter-day Long man of Wilmington.

It turned out that he hadn't lived down here all his life; but who would have known, given all that tireless work over several decades for his adopted county, and for the Albion?

It's a frightening thought to imagine what might have happened, had Ed's football affiliation remained in Birmingham. Would 'Arry's Blues now be competing in the Champions League, in some enormous Selly Oak Stadium, while the Albion stumbled around in non-league, marooned forever in Withdean?

Another reminder of how much of a difference has been made, to countless thousands of lives, by this simply extraordinary bloke.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I met Ed twice. This thread bought tears to my eyes the awful C word is very close to me. Wierdly I had just put all my spare change into a Macmillan fund box before I opened this thread

Not long after I joined NSC I had been in Brighton for 3 years this was back in C2003. IIRC correctly it was pride weekend and I lived on Preston Park and wanted to find a country pub to escape the mayhem. So LB pops up and told me about a rambler bus which started at I cant remember where - Cuckmere I think which passed about 17 pubs and did an hourly loop. So it was intended for country walkers but myself and friends turned up got on the bus and a guy dropped us off at all the best ones picking us up hourly and telling us about the best ales. What a day it was all these people on the bus on and off and going for their walk lol and us lot using the drivers advice for whats the next best pub
There was a sign above the drivers seat saying Ed Bassford. I said do you know someone called Mr Bracknell and he laughed at me and said are you from NSC :) Thats me

He was so friendly and tolerant with us even let us have a game of cricket on his mini bus :) Top man in so many ways NSC will never be able to replace Ed. Best of love to Roz and family who I never had the pleasure to meet x. Matt

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here