Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Jan 30, 2008
I suppose with the unfettered cuts that will be made to the welfare system you may be forced to get off your arse and start contributing to society. Though you may find employers don’t really go for racist ****wits these days . Every cloud...

I'm surprised you havent been sectioned , time for meds ?
Regards
DR

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
QUOTE=Mouldy Boots;8960026]Like I have said in the past to survive in this world we have to be adaptable and not one dimensional, it's good to be out of the comfort zone, no one ever achieves their potential in this zone. So go out and explore and that precisely what we will be doing under Brexit, we will grow as a nation and have some control over our destiny.

Sorry to say but this is simplistic blue sky claptrap....

How exciting.

I hope you will not flaunt your excitement too much; I am sure you will bump into people whose lives are considerably worse as a result of this disaster-in-waiting and that wouldn't be very emotionally intelligent of you.

Why the hatred for the Eton boys it's not their thought they had wealthy parents, I have mixed with all types over the years, and generally, the mega-rich with their feet on the ground are a great bunch, yes you have a few self-made w++kers around but you also have some average earners who are w++kers.

Only the rich 'entitled' Eton boys who are leading this country towards ever greater division and chaos; more Johnston that Stewart

I judge on personality more than wealth.

Fair enough. Then your judgement in this instant is impaired

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Then don't gripe about the mess that's been created.

Three MPs have sought a Judicial Review as to why the Met Police have sat on corruption charges against three leave campaigns, as recommended by the Electoral Commission. This is alleged criminal behaviour.

[tweet]1141255344821346304[/tweet]

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
But it's a very crude measure. Firstly, the figure lost to the economy is an estimate ( more a guess ). It's based on where the economy MIGHT of been if Brexit hadn't happened. Then it's divided by the number of UK households. That's it ..... no further inteligence put around it. I'll agree it suits an agenda but it is highly misleading.

You have understood that is an average per UK household, it is a bit crude but more meaningful than x Millions for the country I feel. What would you suggest as a fairer way of informing us how much worse off we are?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Do you not read or understand what posters on here have explained in posts on even the last couple of pages ?
Had the hard line brexiteers in parliament NOT voted against the exit deal put in front of them four 4 times we would have already have left ! But of course it was not Brexity enough for them was it ? I have even stated on this forum in the past couple of months that had May's deal been offered on June 22nd 2016 they would have snatched her hands off, but by getting their tiny win majority they want the hardest of hard Brexit regardless of who gets hurt by this course of action. I wonder why ? Maybe they themselves are the only group who have anything to gain, I do not know of anyone else who will benefit from this course.

That's not strictly accurate. The ERG are about 50 strong. There have been 3 'meaningful' votes. The first two would have still been lost by the government even if every ERG member had voted for the deal.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Much as that is an horrendous and and disgusting situation, I'm not sure you can attribute that directly to Brexit ..... this disgracful government were carrying out cuts to the NHS across the field well before Brexit.

They did, however George Osborne was aiming to deliver a budget surplus by 2020, but after the result of the referendum, he said that this was no longer achievable. Brexit didn't put us on an austerity budget, but it is keeping us on it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Indeed, and as posted before, the reluctance for the remain side to accept the result, and try to move forward with the best scenario possible of compromise (probably similar to May's deal) was treated with scorn and ridicule.

The Remain side put forward a compromise. Norway. It was dismissed as "not Brexit" by unicorn-chasers and shameless opportunists who had promoted it only weeks before.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
How will you cope when we leave the EU ? Cry , sulk some more, move out of the country or get on with your life ?
Regards
DR

I'll cope with it fine, thank you. I am not sulking at all. I am not going to leave the country, and I am already getting on with my life, just as I have been every day for the last 3 years.

It's you that's the sad to55er in all this. :)

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Perhaps some of the keen no deal proponents on here could have a crack at these 10 questions:

How would the rights of UK citizens living in the EU be protected in the event of a no-deal Brexit?
How would a no-deal Brexit avoid the need for new infrastructure, in particular Border Inspection Posts, at the Irish border?
How would the UK catch criminals now living in EU countries under a no-deal Brexit?
How would the government ensure that businesses are prepared to trade with the EU ahead of a no-deal Brexit?
How would the UK protect Gibraltar under a no-deal Brexit?
How can we be sure that there will be no disruption to medicine supply in the event of a no deal Brexit?
In the event of a no-deal, how would the UK ensure that chemicals placed on the market are safe for consumers?
How would the UK seek to smoothly trade fish in the event of a no-deal Brexit?
How would a no-deal Brexit maintain reliable electricity flows across interconnectors between the UK and continental Europe?
How would the UK negotiate trade arrangements with third countries without an agreement with the EU?

https://www.ippr.org/blog/no-deal-brexit-10-questions-that-need-answering

Or is all just have blind faith, 'believe in Britain' because it's all #projectfear and political correctness gone mad by Guardian reading remoaners because Johnson, Rees-Mogg and the other English Tories went to Eton College and Oxford and really know where it's at, so they'll sort it all out etc,etc.

I am not your intended respondent, but the EU has a set of emergency measures they are ready to put in place for between 3 and 9 months, this is to stop them having a truly shit time after the treaties cease to exist, but it will serve us to some extent too. I think if we can stick it out beyond that, without begging for the withdrawal agreement to be enacted, there will be a series of bi-lateral agreements to cover all of those things, and in the long run we will end up with a relationship with the EU very similar to Switzerland's, which will likely include free movement of people and goods, and involve our Parliament having to have a vote on every new piece of EU legislation. Voting against adopting any new legislation that would fall within the areas of a bi-lateral agreement will result in a failure of that agreement and some loss of function to us, effectively a sanction.
This is OK though because it is real sovereignty when our Parliament has to vote yes, because sanctions will be imposed if they don't.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I am not your intended respondent, but the EU has a set of emergency measures they are ready to put in place for between 3 and 9 months, this is to stop them having a truly shit time after the treaties cease to exist, but it will serve us to some extent too. I think if we can stick it out beyond that, without begging for the withdrawal agreement to be enacted, there will be a series of bi-lateral agreements to cover all of those things, and in the long run we will end up with a relationship with the EU very similar to Switzerland's, which will likely include free movement of people and goods, and involve our Parliament having to have a vote on every new piece of EU legislation. Voting against adopting any new legislation that would fall within the areas of a bi-lateral agreement will result in a failure of that agreement and some loss of function to us, effectively a sanction.
This is OK though because it is real sovereignty when our Parliament has to vote yes, because sanctions will be imposed if they don't.

What happens to the 39 billion?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

The problem with the Swiss bi-lateral agreements is they've taken decades to evolve and end up where they are with them as things stand today and as pointed out above, we're still liable for the £39 Billion. The unintended scraps thrown our way from The EU's contingencies are not nearly enough for us to properly function and the longer we attempt to stick it out, the more damage and bad blood caused, the more the ill-feeling there will be toward us. Never mind the internal domestic existential and constitutional fires that will break out, perhaps quite literally in the case of Northern Ireland, not to mention Scotland. Aside from the triumph of the pre-announced procession of 90 lorries and a dustcart down the M20 on a Monday morning in January and a clapped out dredger bobbling about doing nothing off Ramsgate, The EU know we're not prepared on our side in the slightest and the figure of '3 weeks' is unchanged as far I know from when I last read it as to how long they're assuming we'll last if no deal happens.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If you say so Boss. I think, and according to many business chaps, it's the uncertainty that's causing the issues.

Had we left, no uncertainty and everyone would be getting on with their lives.

Too simple? Possibly.

Uncertainty is certainly a problem, Brexit has uncertainty built in though. Just leaving offers no certainty at all, as even if you have a stated intention to strike a trade deal with the U.S. before doing any bi-lateral deals with the E.U. or vice versa, the outcome of those won't be known for years.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The other thing with 'no deal in October' v 'no deal in March' is nationally warehouse and storage capacity will not be at the same available levels due to the run up to Christmas being well under way, so no deal stockpiling capability will be greatly reduced. I'm sure Boris Johnson has got that one covered and knows the score. :thumbsup:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've asked Leavers for benefits of leaving the EU. I have never had a coherent answer.

I am prepared to post the benefits of being in the EU. Here is just two I found today.

[tweet]1141298812029476865[/tweet]

[tweet]1141367074817740800[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here