Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2019 Thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Cin Cin - Vine Street, Brighton

Well having almost been brainwashed into going here by our Germanic poster the time was right.

Firstly a very strange place (to me and Mrs Hut) to eat, only 24 people at anytime and around the bar so no tables etc.

Starters, we shared cured meat and a Rabbit Crochette and they we both very good especially the crochette and both had mains of Salt Cod Ravioli which again was very pleasant and well seasoned all washed down with a very agreeable bottle of Negroamaro il Pumo.

I was not great fan of this around a bar business and have to say when we left neither of us felt particularly full so to speak after a two course meal but it would certainly appeal to others however the food was very good, well cooked, seasoned and very tasty.

I will give it an 8 out of 10 however I am not convinced I would return, simply not my idea of how to eat a meal.

Brainwashed :lolol: Its fair to say I am a bit enthusiastic about the things I like. I’m glad you (kind of) liked it though. The around-the-bar-high-chairs and not-feeling-full are common comments. I have been a number of times (20 ish I think) , always to Vine Street and always when I’m needing food en-route to something else. By this I mean the visit is not the event or destination itself. Primarily I eat there before football or if I’m in town in between something and hungry. In and out, and I think it works brilliantly like this. But I can understand why the set up might not work if you want a long meal and conversation. And if there’s four of you forget it. Oh, I always have stater, main and cheese and sometimes two starters; I’m generally sated. The rabbit crochette is great. I presume you had the pesto one? At Christmas they replace this with cranberry sauce which I think works better.

Just back from Paris, the Frau’s mumblemumble-th birthday. Full match report to follow.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Brainwashed :lolol: Its fair to say I am a bit enthusiastic about the things I like. I’m glad you (kind of) liked it though. The around-the-bar-high-chairs and not-feeling-full are common comments. I have been a number of times (20 ish I think) , always to Vine Street and always when I’m needing food en-route to something else. By this I mean the visit is not the event or destination itself. Primarily I eat there before football or if I’m in town in between something and hungry. In and out, and I think it works brilliantly like this. But I can understand why the set up might not work if you want a long meal and conversation. And if there’s four of you forget it. Oh, I always have stater, main and cheese and sometimes two starters; I’m generally sated. The rabbit crochette is great. I presume you had the pesto one? At Christmas they replace this with cranberry sauce which I think works better.

Just back from Paris, the Frau’s mumblemumble-th birthday. Full match report to follow.

Yes to the pesto one, I will brainwash you for Riddle and Finns ???

Anyway Fish Factory, Worthing next Saturday

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes to the pesto one, I will brainwash you for Riddle and Finns ???

Anyway Fish Factory, Worthing next Saturday

I used to enjoy Riddle and Finns. I haven’t been for some time though; 6 or 7 years. They briefly had a branch near to me in Hove as well. I’ll revisit next season.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The Little Fish Market
This was my second visit, having first been soon after it opened. I wasn't terribly impressed then. There was ambition, good ingredients and, at times, good execution. There was also bad execution, and a disappointing wine list -- including an abomination, an apple ice 'wine' from Canada. It seemed to be trying very hard, but not delivering on its ambition.

In the intervening three? (four?, five?) years, either it's transformed itself and really got its act together, or I (we) was (were) wrong in our assessment. [MENTION=13]CHAPPERS[/MENTION] has calmly and persistently opined that it's the best restaurant in Brighton. I think I now agree with that. The ambition's still there, but it's delivered on, and I can only think of two 'errors' in the six courses (plus extras) that we had. One of those was with the bread, which was for the most part good, but slightly undercooked at the bottom -- this could easily have been dealt with by cutting away that bottom part, and we wouldn't have noticed. The other was a dish that one in our party described as one that 'doesn't eat well'. That's an accurate description, it was lots of nice things (crab, potato and olive crisps, dried tomato) that didn't go well together. In contrast, all the other dishes transpired to be more than the sum of their parts. Three in particular stand out. First, one of those extras, which was an egg shell, containing an artichoke puree, egg yolk, smoked haddock and a little bit of passion fruit. Another was the dessert, containing lots of different forms of raspberry that [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] has already enthused about on this thread. But the final one was the show stopper, which was fish and chips, with tartare sauce. Quite comfortably the best fish, chips and tartare sauce that the four of us had encountered. The cod(?) was in the most delicate batter, but had been brined for 30 minutes which did something wonderful to its texture -- Mr 'Doesn't Eat Well' thought it was moist, I thought it was firm; either way (assuming it can't be both), it was just extraordinary.

Still not wild on their wine list, which is about the only aspect that could be improved upon in my view -- the best being an impressive Grillo from Planeta. I can see why it's being talked about in terms of Michelin stars as, on this evidence, it's more than worthy of one.

Jul 7, 2003
Were you in there today? If so - what time?

We were in from 3:00 - 4:30ish and made the same observations as you. Bozza junior was quite dismayed at the size of his pizza although they weren't far off adult sizes previously,

Didn't get in there until around 7pm. Do they still make the kids pizza in a fish shape? Mine are too old now.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The GLDHI and I are making a weekend of it in Brighton for the Burnley game. We’ve got Little Fish Market booked for the Saturday evening (going with someone off here - I’ll let him tell you who if he’s so inclined. I’d tell you myself but he can be a bit of a male version of a Princess. Someone else was also invited, but he declined, saying he has to wax his man sack).

Anyway, I’m after recommendations for:

Friday dinner
Saturday (light breakfast, and light lunch; or brunch)
Sunday (lunch or brunch)

Not to include: fourth & Church (just been), Chilli Pickle (liked it, but didn’t think it was outstanding), Gingerman group - been to two, meh.

It’d be nice to put an “ethnic” meal in there somewhere (Thai, Vietnamese, Indonesian...??)...

... and possibly somewhere where the GLDHI can get a Chilli fix. She has a completely ludicrously high tolerance level - quite happy nibbling on raw birdseye chillis as a snack. This last option is not essential, as my experience is that those places that offer a high Chilli index are usually shit in every other respect.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The GLDHI and I are making a weekend of it in Brighton for the Burnley game. We’ve got Little Fish Market booked for the Saturday evening (going with someone off here - I’ll let him tell you who if he’s so inclined. I’d tell you myself but he can be a bit of a male version of a Princess. Someone else was also invited, but he declined, saying he has to wax his man sack).

Friday dinner
Sunday (lunch or brunch)

Not to include: fourth & Church (just been), Chilli Pickle (liked it, but didn’t think it was outstanding), Gingerman group - been to two, meh.

It’d be nice to put an “ethnic” meal in there somewhere (Thai, Vietnamese, Indonesian...??)...

... and possibly somewhere where the GLDHI can get a Chilli fix. She has a completely ludicrously high tolerance level - quite happy nibbling on raw birdseye chillis as a snack. This last option is not essential, as my experience is that those places that offer a high Chilli index are usually shit in every other respect.

CinCin would be a good option for dinner (and maybe a lunch, just go for a pasta course). Another dinner option to fulfil the chilli fix is New Era (on Queens St). Szechuan, dirt cheap, some might view it as dirty, but consistently good food.
I'm not too good on brunch/breakfast, but went to The Grand recently and wouldn't recommend it.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Friday dinner
Sunday (lunch or brunch)

You could consider https://www.luckykhao.com/ for Friday, it's on my list but not tried it. Ticks your chilli box too. Early review here - https://www.thegraphicfoodie.co.uk/2019/05/review-lucky-khao-brighton.html.

I always recommend Mange Tout for brunch but that's because it's good. Oh and I really like Wolfies for breakfast if you are in/near Hove.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
You could consider https://www.luckykhao.com/ for Friday, it's on my list but not tried it. Ticks your chilli box too. Early review here - https://www.thegraphicfoodie.co.uk/2019/05/review-lucky-khao-brighton.html.

I always recommend Mange Tout for brunch but that's because it's good. Oh and I really like Wolfies for breakfast if you are in/near Hove.

Thanks v much.

I was really liking the look of Lucky Khao (oh, the wit) review, until I got to the bit where they said that the music was so loud the waitress had to shout to make herself heard. That’s just a insta-no for me. Shame.

The other two are added to the (currently short) list for consideration.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Friday dinner
Sunday (lunch or brunch)

Mange Tout for brunch - really, really good and handy for pre-match pubs and the train.

(I have a vague feeling that you've been there with me before though, but I could be wrong)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Didn't get in there until around 7pm. Do they still make the kids pizza in a fish shape? Mine are too old now.

I think it was, yes. It certainly wasn't as fish-y as previously though. I used to like the big doughy tail bits as invariably my son wouldn't eat them, which meant I could!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Some really positive disagreements emerging on this thread. For the record;

I enjoyed Little Fish Market - service and food top notch, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to go back. It is all a bit too clinical for me, everything filleted, shelled and fussed over.
By comparison a recent visit to Riddle and Finns, still has me drooling after the Singapore Crab, bloody fantastic dish if you roll your sleeves up use a napkin as a bib and don't care what you look like smothered in sauce.

Sitting still for two hours plus in a restaurant, is not a big selling point for me. If I am not getting fidgety, I have often tired of overheard conversations from adjacent tables. Not only are fixed sitting times a modern fix for profitability, but also tightly packed tables.

Some of my favourite spots include the kitchen counter tops in 64 Degrees and CinCin, where you can always add extra dishes, as you see something fantastic prepared in front of you. In both I prefer lunchtimes to evenings.

Riddle and Finns I like, the seafood is fantastic, the drinks menu is good and the service is swift. Last week we had a terrific meal, but were in and out in about 45 minutes, then off to the Dome to see Kelly Jones. Not a cheap night out, but great for an occasional treat.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Some really positive disagreements emerging on this thread. For the record;

I enjoyed Little Fish Market - service and food top notch, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to go back. It is all a bit too clinical for me, everything filleted, shelled and fussed over.
By comparison a recent visit to Riddle and Finns, still has me drooling after the Singapore Crab, bloody fantastic dish if you roll your sleeves up use a napkin as a bib and don't care what you look like smothered in sauce.

Sitting still for two hours plus in a restaurant, is not a big selling point for me. If I am not getting fidgety, I have often tired of overheard conversations from adjacent tables. Not only are fixed sitting times a modern fix for profitability, but also tightly packed tables.

Some of my favourite spots include the kitchen counter tops in 64 Degrees and CinCin, where you can always add extra dishes, as you see something fantastic prepared in front of you. In both I prefer lunchtimes to evenings.

Riddle and Finns I like, the seafood is fantastic, the drinks menu is good and the service is swift. Last week we had a terrific meal, but were in and out in about 45 minutes, then off to the Dome to see Kelly Jones. Not a cheap night out, but great for an occasional treat.

Have you been to The Urchin? Great for rolling your sleeves up fun.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I lunched at the The Flint House in the new Hannington’s Lane last week (part of the Gingerman group).

Didn’t really like it, not a patch on all the other Gingerman restaurants.

They’re trying to be different in setting the menu as an English take on Tapas. But it’s all quite confusing and expensive for what it is. Not very well, they try to guide you to order a main (which is literally one item ... e.g. the fish itself) and you order a side to go with it e.g. broccoli with almonds or potatoes in tarragon. Nutritionally, you end up with a meal lacking either carbs, or fibre/veg. To order two side dishes to get that balance is expensive and far too big giving a lot of waste.

There’s no clear structure of starters and mains.

The dessert was gorgeous though.

I did feel sorry for the people who took me there as their guest, a rip off and unsatisfying.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
So it seems that Wolfies cafe has changed hands and the owners of Billies have taken over. Was never that sold on Billies but there was always a queue at the Upper North Street location so they should do okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Friday dinner
Sunday (lunch or brunch)

Petit Pois and Etch would be good bets for dinner - neither hits the chilli fix though.

Maybe for lunch 64 Degrees - everyone else seems to rave about it although I wasn't overly keen. Mrs W and I went there for lunch and then on to a spa. We were hungary pretty quickly after which I don't expect from a meal that costs that much. Although it might have been the spa activity that made us hungray.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here